Black tank flush - use pressure regulator?

skyguy

We all know about using a pressure regulator for our fresh water systems.

But what about the black tank flush?

Thanks

Al S.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I run my tank flush right from the faucet, no regulator. I feel there is always an open end so no pressure will build up in the line.

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I'm like Dave, have never used a regulator. I like full force hitting the yucky stuff inside the tank and increased water volume........Kenny

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
It is obviously not an issue but help me with this one...isn't the reason for the water pressure regulator to keep excessive pressure from damaging the pex fittings and hoses etc.? Are fittings used on the black tank different or is it simply not an issue because the washer is always open to release some of that pressure?

Many thanks!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I tried it once without the regulator. Mine still might have a plastic anti-flow valve but I had water and lots of it running out under the potty room wall. I tore the wall out to see if I had a hose break/come loose. Never had tha leak again while using the regulator. I use a Watts 55# regulator.

SilverRhino

When I plumbed my filter tote set up, I added a filter by pass. I still use the pressure regulator, just by pass the filtration leg. The fittings are no different and excess pressure could cause a problem.....already hooked up with pressure reg so I figure it's safer just to use it and prevent at least one potential problem.

hoefler

Truth be known, the PEX plumbing system is capable of much more than you think. I install PEX fresh water system in new construction and is rated for a continuous 85 psi. City water systems are regulated to 85 psi as a standard.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I tried it once without the regulator. Mine still might have a plastic anti-flow valve but I had water and lots of it running out under the potty room wall. I tore the wall out to see if I had a hose break/come loose. Never had tha leak again while using the regulator. I use a Watts 55# regulator.

The problem you had was with the valve in the line behind the toilet. I cut the hose that went up the wall and the one that came down the wall and then spliced them togeather.

I use the water from the Shore Post and as Cookie stated, there is nothing to stop or slow down the water so no pressure can build up.

BC

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, I guess I should have done that when I had the wall apart. Hoefler, the city water pressure where we live is 110#...a little much for even Pex. But we do not have any problem hosing things down.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob, I guess I should have done that when I had the wall apart.

You don't have to have the wall open to change the hose to the black tank.
I found the Pex going up thru the wall and the one coming down. Cut the tubing and put in a brass coupling and used Pex clamps to hold the hose on the coupler.

Works great and I didn't have to open up the wall. I did not like the regulator in the wall any way. It was noisey and like so many others it failed so I eliminatd it.

BC

skyguy

Thanks for the replies....

Most places we visit have modest water pressure, and I have attached to the black flush without using a regulator. HOWEVER, the pressure at Pueblo Reservoir will throw a jug out of your hands if you're not careful! So I will be using the regulator there for sure.