TrailerAir/5th Airborne king pin vs TS3 Hitch

timbuktu

My intent is not to start a debate which is better - a king pin with airbag or a hitch with airbags, but just wondering if I have a dealer install a Trailer Air or 5th Airborne king pin, does it have any effect on the warranty of the frame? My biggest concern is voiding the Lippert frame warranty or causing complications due to modifying the king pin if I have an issue with frame flexing in the future. And btw, when I purchase my Cyclone 3800HD I will have to buy a new hitch bc my Reese is rated at only 15K, so my options are - buy a new higher rated hitch (non airbag) AND a Trailer Air/5th Airborne king pin or simply just buy a TS3 hitch rated at 20K and leave the factory king pin on. Any thoughts?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I think you would be better off buying the TS3 hitch with airbag since you have to upgrade anyway. Makes sense to me. That way when you upgrade your RV later on you'll already be set.

Good luck,
Mark

porthole

Retired
I also side with Mark. but, if you go with the TrailAir I would not get the optional TriGlide.
Your trailer is heavy an dI did not like the ride with the TriGlide. It made for some harsh "bumping". An this was exaggerated with a sliding hitch.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I would go with the hitch as well. However I have the Trail air Tri-Glide and like it a lot.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just picked up our new LM and I also had a TS3 hitch installed. With the TS3 I almost forget that I am pulling 16000 pounds behind me. This hitch is IMHO the best there is. It pulls so smooth. We get no jerking or clunking at all. I am totally satisfied with the money it cost.

1231ChaseB

The TS3 hitch is fantastic ! Look in the mirror as your traveling and the Fifth wheel is moving up and down a little bit and the truck is moving smoothly along with NO feeling of something being hooked to it !
chaseb

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We just upgraded from a 20000 pound standard draw tight hitch to a Hensley Trailer Saver TS3. Man, what a great improvement. The extra money is well worth it. It may also help protect the front of the RV from the frame flex/kingpin movement issues. The air bags in the hitch really work. BTW I believe this thread started out by talking about the TrailAir king pin. We had one when our unit was new and changed it out for the Mor-Ryde which we liked better.

Last edited:

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I also side with Mark. but, if you go with the TrailAir I would not get the optional TriGlide.
Your trailer is heavy an dI did not like the ride with the TriGlide. It made for some harsh "bumping". An this was exaggerated with a sliding hitch.

I have the Tri Glide and really like it. You just have to be patient and work with the air pressure until you find the right setting. I have Ride Rite Airbags as well and after I found the right combination of pressures for the Tri Glide and airbags I love it.

lwmcguir

My intent is not to start a debate which is better - a king pin with airbag or a hitch with airbags, but just wondering if I have a dealer install a Trailer Air or 5th Airborne king pin, does it have any effect on the warranty of the frame? My biggest concern is voiding the Lippert frame warranty or causing complications due to modifying the king pin if I have an issue with frame flexing in the future. And btw, when I purchase my Cyclone 3800HD I will have to buy a new hitch bc my Reese is rated at only 15K, so my options are - buy a new higher rated hitch (non airbag) AND a Trailer Air/5th Airborne king pin or simply just buy a TS3 hitch rated at 20K and leave the factory king pin on. Any thoughts?

We really like the 5th Airborne king pin. An air type hitch would be another great thing to have. Don't think it affects the warranty as it isn't a frame modification.

GOTTOYS

Since now owns TrailAire I can't see that changing to an air-ride pinbox would affect your warranty. Best to just call and ask them..Don

DW_Gray

Since you have to buy a hitch anyway, get the TS3. That's what I would have done if I could do it over again. Although, I am very pleased with the Trail Air Tri Glide.

Urban350

I wanted to re-ask this question as I am seriously considering buying a Trail Air Tri Glide just for the fact that I take my hitch in and out of my truck a lot, and my Reese 25k Elite is heavy enough. But I could possibly build a way to lift a hitch out of the bed of the truck if it realy is the better way to go. Also I would be leaning towards the Mountain Master.

ihsolutions

I just bought a TrailerSaver BD3 which is a little bit lighter duty than the TS3, but still more than capable of pulling anything Heartland manufactures.

I chose this one because it comes apart in two pieces and is easily removable from the truck by one person, compared to the TS3 which needs at least two people, or a hoist.

DW_Gray

I wanted to re-ask this question as I am seriously considering buying a Trail Air Tri Glide just for the fact that I take my hitch in and out of my truck a lot, and my Reese 25k Elite is heavy enough. But I could possibly build a way to lift a hitch out of the bed of the truck if it realy is the better way to go. Also I would be leaning towards the Mountain Master.

You could get a pick-up truck bed crane like this: http://www.discountramps.com/truck-bed-crane.htm or similar model.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Anyone want to buy a Reese 18k hitch, you guys are too convincing about the air ride hitches.... I don't even want to bring it up to the DW and get 'that look'.

Urban350

You should have seen the look I got when I told dw that we needed a new hitch lol....I have the elite 25k hitch.

porthole

Retired
Anyone want to buy a Reese 18k hitch, you guys are too convincing about the air ride hitches.... I don't even want to bring it up to the DW and get 'that look'.

Since you are going with the R4 I would seriously give that a shot before adding the hitch too.

I'm not sure what the gain would be with two air rides. The cost of the TS3 will pay for the R4 and a MOR/ryde pin box.
And unlike the hitch, the R4 will (should) reward you every time you drive the truck, not just when pulling a trailer.

But if you want to wait long enough, I already have the TS3 and hope to do the R4 by mid-spring.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Since you are going with the R4 I would seriously give that a shot before adding the hitch too.

I'm not sure what the gain would be with two air rides. The cost of the TS3 will pay for the R4 and a MOR/ryde pin box.
And unlike the hitch, the R4 will (should) reward you every time you drive the truck, not just when pulling a trailer.

But if you want to wait long enough, I already have the TS3 and hope to do the R4 by mid-spring.

True enough, I'll put the R4 and trailer through it's paces this summer from Dallas to Charleston, SC. That will let me know wether or not I want to invest in a hitch as well but I'm thinking I may only need the BD3. I don't have a heavy ol toy hauler full of goodies anymore like some people.