Minimum recommended tools for fulltimer?

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
When it comes to repairs, I understand that everybody has different abilities and what they are willing to tackle, but I would like to get some recommendations on what a good basic tool box for a fulltimer should have in it. When it comes to sockets and wrench's, I don't want to carry sizes I probably will never need. To reduce weight, I would like to have tools do multiple jobs to reduce the total number of tools.
Any suggestions!!

nhunter

I carry a set of metric and SAE wrenches, multi screwdriver, socket set that has 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive, 12v test light, 120v mutli meter, hacksaw, 2 sets of vice grips, needle nose pliers, hammer, floor jack, tire pressure gauge, electrical tape, small tube of silicone. My tickle trunk just seems to be to small.

nhunter

I have been lucky and haven't needed enough sealant to carry the gun(knock on wood) and am still waiting for excuse to buy a ladder.Actually it might even be more of a place to store the ladder. Where do you carry yours.

jbeletti

kognito - you beat me to the duct tape!

I carry the Gorilla Glue brand duct tape. 200 MPH I'd guess! Though I've yet to use any.

I also carry that silver foil backed tape used to flash the ducting and wrapped around the heat wire that is wrapped around the water solenoid for the ice maker.

12 volt fuses of various values for the 5er and the truck.

Jim

tdharley

Uncle Rog

bsnider,I have so many parts, tools, connectors, meters, et al, that I would burn up all the space on the forum trying to list them all. All I can say is start by taking all that you can justify or reasonably expect to use in a pinch, Then you learn as you go by not having something you need, the trial and error method. I never thought of having a strap wrench until my awning spring failed and had to roll it up manually with force, luckily a guy in the campground had one. Get a tool set with all of the square bits also........Good Luck!
nhunter, buy a chair rack that hangs on your units ladder and bungee it on there............

tdharley

Hey kognito

I have been wrestling with the tool box/ fuel tank thing.

Did you install it yourself?

The things that keeps stopping me is, first the weight. By the time you get done filling it and the box weight you are coming close to 500lbs. And 2nd the $1,700.00 price tag, it seems to me it gonna take along time to see any savings.

Whats your take on it?

Talk me into it, I am on the fence.

ct0218

No wonder my Landmark weighs 16K. I carry everything listed so far, plus a 10 ton bottle jack, J-B Weld (epoxy, fast and regular), and a large assortment of screws, bolts, washers and nuts. I also have a dedicated 14.4 V cordless drill that stays in the basement. Remember, if you have a hydraulic failure the only way to operate the system is with a drill and hex bit. A lot of this is carried in my truck all the time as standard equipment. Carryover from my Boy Scout days, I guess.

Uncle Rog

I'll take a shot at that one, I installed a 48 gal tank on my GMC, gives me an extra 200 miles+ towing, and probably 400 running solo. I get a pretty good deal on fuel and it also gives you an option on the road as to where you have to fill up. In the California deserts and rural areas the price of fuel varies, a lot. Last Nov diesel was .70 more in a 70 mile distance. I did not with the tool box, but the tank is great!

nhunter

I thought duct tape was standard issue. And my father in law uses enough velcro for both of us.

From the master of duct tape himself Red Green "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

dennylm

I only carry two things. A roll of duct tape and a hammer. If it moves and shouldn't, I use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, I use the hammer. :D

Just kidding of course! I'm always trying to trim weight so I agree with Uncle Rog in using the trial and error method. Also, if I've been carrying a tool around for 1 1/2 to 2 years and have never used it, I seriously consider leaving it at home.

One thing I carry which usually isn't mentioned is a couple of 1" thick foam rubber pads I can put on the ground to put my old tired knees on when I have to get down low or under. They don't take up much space, don't weigh a thing and I've always been VERY glad I had them.

Denny

jpmorgan37

tdharley;
I put one in my GMC and it served me quite well. I put the 60 gallon tank with tool box. I considered the 90 gal but didn't want to carry the extra weight. The 60 gal gave me about an 1100 mile range. It is a gravity feed system into your stock fill pipe so that you show full all the time as long as you are running on your auxillary tank. Price with shipping was about $800 including the connector kit. Well worth it not having to hunt for fuel on back roads, every 250 or so miles.
Here is the link: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I thought I was the only one hauling all this stuff. Has anyone got teflon plumbers tape? :) Ken

tdharley

jp

I saw those tanks on ebay and missed the auction. That is alot more reasonable. I will probably go for that one.

I do like the idea of more distance between fill ups, but doubt I will get away with 1100miles with the grandkids.....

Its a shame I just bought that gull wing tool box.

Anybody wanna a toolbox?

HappyKayakers

nhunter said:
I have been lucky and haven't needed enough sealant to carry the gun(knock on wood) and am still waiting for excuse to buy a ladder.Actually it might even be more of a place to store the ladder. Where do you carry yours.
I carry a 6 ft stepladder in the basement. The rear ladder is already used for carrying bikes. The ladder comes in very handy for washing the rig and various awning operations.

HappyKayakers

katkens said:
I thought I was the only one hauling all this stuff. Has anyone got teflon plumbers tape? :) Ken

Already used it on new shower faucets, outside water filter, anode rod replacement, and accesories for air compressor.

jpmorgan37

tdh;
I understand the tool box problem. I had a large slant top tool box that cost over $300.00. I sold it to my neighbor for $100 and was glad to get it. The tool box in the fuel tank isn't very deep, but it carried my 12 ton jack, flares, blocks, and other assorted tools, grease gun, rags, tie downs, tow strap etc.

Ken; I always have at least one roll of teflon tape. (and duct tape and electrical tape and masking tape and 2" wide scotch tape) just to mention a few.