Split in Outer Skin

scotty

I'm trying to determine what may have caused the following problem. I now have a split in the outer wall that begins at the drain rail located just about the DS slide. The split begins at the rail and runs at a slight angle (10 degrees or so) up toward the roof. Now, I purchased the unit used and was living in it until this past fall. When I purchased the unit the DS (living room slide) when closed, was flush at the top and bottom in the rear, and the front was flush at the top but at the bottom it extended out about 2" or so. Didn't think much at the time as the seals seemed tight, no leakage, so figured I'd mess with adjusting later. Anyway, moved into house for winter, so took unit to Florida from Jersey for storage. When I got to Florida I noticed the split. Could the slide being out of adjustment cause the split? I don't know how the slide sets into the unit at the top, so not sure if it contacts a "stop" or just fits flush up against the outer wall. Sorry, wasn't able to take any pictures and I'm back in Jersey. I guess what I'm trying to ask could there have been sufficient pressure at the top, with the bottom angled out to have virbrated or rubbed against the side and caused a split? No indication of any paint being rubbed in the area and didn't have split when I left Jersey. Understand I'm not giving you a lot to go on, just wondering, since you guys know how they're built if you've experienced this type of issue before. As shown in my sig this is an 06 3400RL.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree, a photo would help but I have the same floor plan in an 07. I think if the slide is misaligned when closed, it may put undue stress on the actual wall of the trailer. If properly adjusted, the slide when closed is held in by the trailers frame/slide mechanism and the floor of the slide is kind of just sitting on the floor of the living room. When closed, the outer slide fascia should be equal all the way around the sides and top.

scotty

Agree, but when I was in Florida I didn't have a digital camera and the pitures from my phone did not come out well.

scotty

Same thing I've been thinking. Like I said the bottom front part of the fascia or is a good two inches or more out from the bottom. Thinking the slide may be titlted in some at the top. Not sure but when I get back to Florida this winter will have to adjust and fix. From looking at the manual it appears that I can loosen and reposition the slide hozionally, but don't know if that will bring the top out while moving the bottom in closer, especially since it already fits fine at the rear.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
scotty, attached is a PDF for slide out adjustment and maintenance.

Attachments

• 5th Wheel Hydraulic Slideout Landing Gear-Web.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 65

BHEWITTJR

Not to get you worked up or anything, but I have to tell my story. I have the same year and floor plan as you and had the same problem as you. There were two cracks in the skin, one on each side. The first one was above the d.s. slide. It went from the top corner of the slide next to the door, and went up to the drip rail. The second one was under the bedroom slide. this one was small only about 2" where the other was about 4" to 5". I contacted the factory as it was still under warranty and they had to replace both sides and an inside wall that cracked also. The main reason for the d.s. crack was water damage that started the wall to seperate. The one under the bed was from a screw or nail sticking out. I wish you good luck and hope you don't need a major repair.

scotty

Thanks BHEWITTJR, like I said it's in Florida now and I won't be doing anything for probably another year. My problem is exactly what you spelled out in your thread, except I don't have the issue under the bed room slide. Got the feeling I should have kept my Crossroads. Have owned five other brands, none with the problems that I've seen with this one. Haven't ranted about them, just fixed and moved on, but this one may be the straw that breaks me from getting another HL.