North Trail & Caliber TT owners: What persuaded you to purchase?

RuralPastor

My wife and I picked up our 2011 Caliber 265rls a few weeks ago, and we are thrilled. We have been pretending & playing most evenings--and are now ready for our first 2000 mile trip...I think. Anyway, we were talking about what persuaded us to purchase this one. Here's my reasons (from most to least important):
1) Price range 2) Welded aluminum cage/fiberglass 3) Insulation--that "zero tested" ad really got me! 4) Options/layout 5) weight--even though I pull with a 7.3 PS Excursion

I have to admit, after the purchase, I've become a lot more aware of the owner's support system through Heartland--and the excellent reputation of factory/warranty service.

I'm curious, what was the deciding factor for you?

irvin56

**Our number one reason was the bunk house in the 31QBS.( for the Grand kids ) plus weight.***
Mostly liked the layout of closed off back room for kids. Front closed off bedroom. Big closed in washroom with a shower I could actually use.
If it was a matter of not being able to pull,it I would of went with a bigger truck at the time.

Ticaster

Layout was the most important factor for my wife and I. We wanted a area for the kids in the back and an area for us upfront. That said, there are a few different brands with a similar layout to our NT 29BUDS. The price and quality is what kept me coming back to the NT brand. I just picked up the trailer last weekend and we are taking our first trip over Easter weekend, so needless to say, we are excited to finally give it a test run.

Chris

GaryWT

Layout and weight for the most part, actually paid more than I had planned but it was such a good fit for us that we went for it. Can't wait to use it.

Manzan

We took delivery of our NT 21 FBS on March 1 this year. Saw it at an RV show and liked the layout, similar to our SOB that we had for 7 years. Only 6" longer which means we could park it at home. Loved the construction-much better than our SOB and much more aerodynamic. Weighs slightly less. Took it to the Oregon Coast last month on a shake down cruise in nasty weather. Pulled like a dream. Very comfortable. Found a couple of minor problems which were fixed right away. Really happy with it and our dealer.

9-larry

the wife and i just bought a 26brss 2011. the thing that sold this trailer was the storage, the colset in the bed room you could put a twin mattress in it if you wanted. you also have all kinds of cabinets. the bathroom is across the back and it has a bunch of storage plus when you are on the throne your knees aren't in the shower like some others. WE ARE THRILLED WITH THIS TRAILER!!!!

ssgutt

After spending 3 years with our 28 BHS, I find myself back at the dealer trading it in for anything but a Heartland product. The front end, like almost every North Trail, is de-laminating and Heartland will do nothing about it. Customer service after the sale is non-existent and they do not stand behind their products. I am sorry to say also that they have been importing the wood for their floors from China. How Anti-American! Bought a Chrysler once and a Toyota once. Had problems with service with both. Will never buy their products again either and that is the same for Heartland-never again! You have to take care of the customer or they won't be your customer any more. Do not buy a Heartland product. Even my dealer won't.

archbarb

After spending 3 years with our 28 BHS, I find myself back at the dealer trading it in for anything but a Heartland product. The front end, like almost every North Trail, is de-laminating and Heartland will do nothing about it. Customer service after the sale is non-existent and they do not stand behind their products. I am sorry to say also that they have been importing the wood for their floors from China. How Anti-American! Bought a Chrysler once and a Toyota once. Had problems with service with both. Will never buy their products again either and that is the same for Heartland-never again! You have to take care of the customer or they won't be your customer any more. Do not buy a Heartland product. Even my dealer won't.

Sorry to here about your experience with your North Trail travel trailer. We had a 2009 NT 26RKS and were so happy with the quailty and service it provided, that when time came to move into a fifth wheel, we stayed in the Heartland family by purchasing a Big Country 3250TS.

We sold our travel trailer to a local family here in town, and we see it on a regular basis. Like us, they have not experienced any problems whatsoever, and are enjoying it!!!!!

Archie

PeternLiane

Since buying our NT we have been very pleased with the Heartland customer service that has been provided. We have also owned many Chrysler products and Toyota Products. Each time their customer service have jumped through hoops to make sure each of our vehicles were in top running order. I think dealers make a big difference in service. Shop dealer and product for the best experience around.

CliffP

Can anyone confirm where Heartland purchases their flooring? Just curious.

CliffP

The roof was actually the main reason we purchased North Trail. Almost every manufacturer has a similar layout to our 32BUDS. Other selling points include not running heat ducts in the floor, wood doors on the master bedroom instead of curtains, plenty of room for clothes & storage and room for towels in the bathroom. Last but not least my local dealer was able to give us a fair price (which happened to be lower than brands that IMHO were inferior).
Cliff and Mindy

jimtoo

[h=2](Quote) Re: North Trail & Caliber TT owners: What persuaded you to purchase?[/h]

Steve, Lenise, & Emilie
2006 Nissan Titan 5.8L (Quote)

And he says "How Anti-American",, Excuse me... Nissan??? Toyota??? I would also like to know where the information came from,,, de-laminating,,, importing wood.​

RuralPastor

CliffP,
Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I believe there is much information Heartland can use from hearing why people are buying their products. I think you bring up a valid point--the NorthTrail/Caliber lineup intersects the paths of quality and price at a level far ahead of the competition. In fact, when you look at quality apart from price in this size of trailer, where would you find anything that compares anyway? Many manufacturers have similar layouts (as you mention) but that is where the similarity ends. When the curtain is pulled back, the North Trail/Caliber simply has more to offer. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours! Happy camping in beautiful Wisconsin, or wherever the road leads you!

The roof was actually the main reason we purchased North Trail. Almost every manufacturer has a similar layout to our 32BUDS. Other selling points include not running heat ducts in the floor, wood doors on the master bedroom instead of curtains, plenty of room for clothes & storage and room for towels in the bathroom. Last but not least my local dealer was able to give us a fair price (which happened to be lower than brands that IMHO were inferior).
Cliff and Mindy

berky

This thread has been around for a while, but I thought I would post my thoughts anyway since we are so happy with our newly purchased 26LRSS. We've moved up after many years in popups, so we didn't have much experience on which to base our decision. Nevertheless here's what set apart the North Trail from all the others for us:
- the superslide. It gives the feeling of a "great room" and gives our large labrador room to move on those rainy days.
- the Caliber Edition upgrades. I'm not sure totally what they are above and beyond the base fitout, but the total package creates a level of quality and comfort head and shoulders above anything else we saw: wood cabinetry, swivel rockers, wood dinette table and chairs, window treatment, slideout rear storage/bike rack, electric stabilizers, etc, etc.
- the design/construction of the frame and "shell": the wall and ceiling R-values, the longer-than-typical axle spacing, the ground clearance, the enclosed underbelly, and the overall solid feel of the walls, floor, roof, and doors.

While other brands might have some comparable features, we felt that no other brought it all together like North Trail.

OBX-GL

Berky. Your last statement sums up my thoughts and reasons exactly "While other brands might have some comparable features, we felt that no other brought it all together like North Trail". The cap was a biggie for me as it was not as excessive (unnecessarily heavy) as the KeyS.Cougar. The frame-less windows was a draw for me too.

I only wish they had kept the body paint. The new "expensive" body paint could remain as an upgrade to a std. paint but IMO is overkill.

berky

Glad to see more 26LRSS owners out there, OBX-GL ... you, me, and pegmikef. Was starting to feel a bit intimdated by all of the 32BUDS's. But that aside, the other plus for me on the 26LRSS was the 1/2 ton sweet spot. It's the most trailer I felt comfortable with, short of going to some flimsy 29'-30' ultra-lite.

OBX-GL

Don't forget RuralPastor, WCB, and there are others. I do know what you mean as the BUDS floor-plan seems pretty popular, i think we might be #2 though.

I actually was thinking of starting an anything about LRSS thread, what do you think ? Speaking of sweet spots and the like, i was thinking there might be a lot of specific's to share. WD or hitch set ups, mods, warranty and maintenance issues to watch for, all things specific to the NT 26LRSS. Might even give prospective 26ers an added resource. What do you think ? I would like to encourage more traffic and interaction here.

berky

Great idea! There are a lot of things I like about not just North Trail, but about the 26LRSS specifically. Any discussion about specific features and likes from "real life" owners is bound to attract prospective buyers.

Not to mention helping each other out. I've made one trip so far, with two more scheduled for May. So even though I've spent a fair amount of time exploring in the driveway, I'm really just getting my feet wet. I already have a season's worth of upgrades in my head .... just need to find the time to do them.

One of the things that attracted us to the 26LRSS was the "openness". Coming from popups, and preferring camping in state and national parks, we like all of the light and air that the extensive windows let in. Wow, just talking about it, I can't wait to get out there in 2 weeks.

Sumo

The like the quality for the price. I was looking for a 5th wheel that I could park behind the house and the NT 27RL is the right size.

it's large enough that when we are forced inside because of the weather we don't trip over each other (2 adults and 5 poodles). Large windows to let in the light and admire views.

Would like a larger fresh water tank.

RanCarr

The floor-plan. It was just what we were looking for and it was in both our price and weight range. It's ideal for snow-birding in Fl for the three worst winter months. It also works well for our 1 to 2 week or more local camping trips. I'm posting this from Poole Knobs in LaVergne TN. We're here for 2 weeks. :) Other selling features were the non-flat roof and no floor registers to constantly clean. There is enough storage space for two seniors and three cats. We also liked the entertainment center that comes with the 28BRS and gives privacy, along with the curtains, to the bedroom. We like the shades over the mini-blinds some RVs come with. And lastly, very important to us was even with the slide in, we have access to everything. :) Some TTs have the bathroom or some other area blocked when the slide is in. Very handy when sleeping over at a Flying-J or Wal*Mart. And no wall to wall rugs to vacuum and shampoo. :D Sweep, mop and done.

The pros: See those above. The bed is comfortable with a 3" waffle foam over the mattress. The top bunk is used for storage and clothing. It affords lots of storage space. Even the laundry basket is up there. DH sleeps on the roomy bottom bunk. He added a 4" foam mattress to the thin one the BRS comes with. Due to his horrific snoring we needed beds at both ends. :rolleyes: :eek: The A/C is adequate for the hottest summer days an it does get hot here in TN. The furnace keeps us warm on cold Ocala FL January nights. The TT tows well with 2 anti-sway bars and the WDH. There's enough storage unless you have hoarding tendencies. There have been no problems with the appliances.

The cons: I didn't want these cheap slider windows that necessitate we purchase those plastic vertical slatted Maxaire vents and a Fantastic Fan so we can breathe when it rains or storms. The two small awning windows are not adjustable and are both on the same side of the TT. No cross ventilation. No "cracking" for just a little air. I called the factory after the order was put in and was told I cannot have those jalousie windows in this TT even though we wanted to pay for them. The 28BRS also comes with tinted windows that make it dark inside but to add a ceiling vent or skylight is expensive. This is a real con to us. :( The mattresses are cheap and bottom out (that's why we added foam over them) and the cushions in the dinette are beyond belief. They flattened out after a few weekend camping trips. They're to look at, not sit on. The covers are pitiful and are so cheap looking and already wrinkled and getting out of shape we keep them covered with a heavy material. Tinting, like jalousie windows, should be optional since not everyone likes a dark RV. A vent or even a skylight on the roof would help lighten and ventilate the 28BRS. The TT is too close to the ground and needed heavy duty dolly wheels. Too late we realized this and they were added at our expense as were the replacement stabilizers that were destroyed the first few trips out. The spare tire also drags but we can't find anywhere else to put it. :( The design of the kitchen window, a slide-up over the sink is impossible for me to open and I'm 5' 6". This area should have a side-slider or jalousie window so the average woman can reach it. The outside shower: The hose comes out right over the hot water knob so is difficult to turn, as are the knobs when wet or soapy. The original head kept clogging so we replaced it with a better quality head. The faucet in the bathroom sink is too short making hand washing impossible.

The rest is un-level counters and we had to replace the kitchen faucet because it kept leaking. But we'll live with it as my husband doesn't trust the local shop to rip out the counters and try to level them. They'd have the BRS for weeks for that kind of job. They're on the slide and we're not looking to deal with one thing and end up with more problems. We'll leave good enough alone.