On the Road: What's your preference?

RuralPastor

When you're traveling from home to a destination, enroute, do you...

a) Pull into a parking lot for the night?

b) Use rest areas?

c) Campgrounds?

I'm new at this, and I can see some advantages with each. Longtimers...let me know!

GOTTOYS

Campgrounds...they have them for a reason. Don't need some idiot banging on my door in the middle of the night to rob me, ask for money for gas, tell me I can't park there....Don

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
All of the above. Depends on where you are, as some states are very user friendly with the rest areas and some are not. In Texas, the welcome centers have security guards, free wifi and nice restrooms and welcome you to stay overnite. Many of the regular rest areas in Texas are quite nice with free wifi etc., found the same in New Mexico, but not in Colorado. Flying J and Walmarts are also good for an overnite stay on your way to wherever. Both rest areas and parking lots tend to be a bit noisey, but not all that bad. Campgrounds can be anything from the US forest service to BLM to state and national parks or private RV parks. The amount of services and amenities will usually dictate the cost. Enjoy your trips!

RuralPastor

Thanks...well I never knew people went door knocking in the parking lots, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. As a former deputy sheriff with an itchy trigger finger and Glock .40, it might not be wise for someone with ill intentions to knock on my door...but then again, as a pastor, I guess I could do the funeral too. OK, so don't take that seriously...wink wink. I think we'll hit the campgrounds. Followup question: Are those camping clubs worth the money? Are the discounts viable?

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We will stop at a Wal Mart for the night or a CG depending on what kind of price we can get or where we are. Someone knocking on my door in a parking lot would not surpise me either, but as long as that person is on the outside. Just don't come in.
As far as camping clubs we use Campground America for short stays if one is in the area we are traveling. You can easily recover your annual dues after a few uses of half price camping.
We also use Corp of Engineers parks, and if you have one of the "senior" cards that CG is half price.

Peace
Dave

BHEWITTJR

I have used all 3 because I like to drive and sometimes when I'm ready to pull over it's late and I don't want to be a bother to people already sleeping in a campground. Sometimes we phone ahead to a campground and call it an early night. As far as parking lots go I have only used walmart and so far have never been chased.

RuralPastor

We will stop at a Wal Mart for the night or a CG depending on what kind of price we can get or where we are. Someone knocking on my door in a parking lot would not surpise me either, but as long as that person is on the outside. Just don't come in.
As far as camping clubs we use Campground America for short stays if one is in the area we are traveling. You can easily recover your annual dues after a few uses of half price camping.
We also use Corp of Engineers parks, and if you have one of the "senior" cards that CG is half price.

Peace
Dave

That's a good idea. I'll have to check out the C of E parks. Not quite ready age-wise for the senior pass, though. Maybe I'll check into Campground America as well. Thanks.

RuralPastor

I have used all 3 because I like to drive and sometimes when I'm ready to pull over it's late and I don't want to be a bother to people already sleeping in a campground. Sometimes we phone ahead to a campground and call it an early night. As far as parking lots go I have only used walmart and so far have never been chased.

Noticed you're headquartered in PA. I'm dreading the turnpike later next month...with the TT. We're headed to NE PA region. This will be our fourth trip in the last 12 months (ministry related). I'm guessing I'll use all three. Do you know if the Turnpike commission allows overnighting at the travel plazas in PA?

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Noticed you're headquartered in PA. I'm dreading the turnpike later next month...with the TT. We're headed to NE PA region. This will be our fourth trip in the last 12 months (ministry related). I'm guessing I'll use all three. Do you know if the Turnpike commission allows overnighting at the travel plazas in PA?

The latest Pennsylvania Info I could locate was dated February 2009 which indicated overnight stays on the PA Turnpike were NOT permitted. Don't know if this will help you but it was the most recent info I was able to locate.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Campgrounds only more for the security than any other reason. Spent way too much time in rest areas when I used to drive OTR and have seen what can happen there.
Walmart or other parking lots-same reason.
Between Good Sam, Escapees, Coast to Coast and KOA cards, we rarely pay full price.
I also like having hook ups, maybe not so much sewer but I like electric to turn on the A/C. I just like the "white noise" and sleep better with it.

SilverRhino

Agree with Larry....Like the amenities and security of campgrounds. This is the only choice as far as the DW is concerned!

In my younger and more single days, I would stay anywhere.....but things were a lot different in the 60's and 70's than they are today.

The only two discount type cards we use are Good Sam and KOA....the two of them serve our needs very well.

trvlrerik

During the summer I stay in campgrounds, I need 50amps for 2 a/c units, I am spoiled and cant sleep if I am sweating. In my personal experience the KOA membership is an easy way to redeem points for free nights stay.

SmokeyBare

As for Camping clubs. We used to belong to Good Sams Camping club, but dropped our membership several years ago. I've found Escapee's Camping Club more to our liking. They are a family run business and their discounts are usually better than Good Sam's ever was. They also have several other benefits we feel are important to us, such as their "Care" program. One other discount camping club we are members of is "Passport America" when traveling we have used them often. They have a 50% discount but keep in mind each campground has different restrictions as far as when the discount applies.

Hope this helps,

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've always used campgrounds. Most of the time we try to stop in an area that has attractions of some sort. We'll try to spend a day or 2 to see the sights. If we're in a hurry we sometimes drive a long day and plan an overnight in a modest motel with big rig parking. That way Lin gets her bathtub fix that she has missed for a few years. COE parks are great. They are clean, roomy and especially cheap if you have the Nat'l Parks pass.

BHEWITTJR

Don't know for sure but there are always a lot full of trucks in all of them staying overnight. When I was driving a tow truck I had to tow my boss's motorhome back from Virgina and I stoped in one and slept for 3 or 4 hours and never got chased. As long as you are parked in a lined spot I don't think anyone would bother you.