BEWARE of deceptive fuel prices

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just a heads up to those of you who have never traveled to Indiana and several other states who post deceptive fuel prices. In Indiana you will see the fuel price on the signs in big numbers and then under them you see tax exempt in very small letters. Example: $3.89 tax exempt and then when you pull to the diesel pump it is $4.10 with the tax. Most all other states post the tax added price. Just a heads up to you who will be traveling to the International Rally in Goshen.

Manzan

Another trick is to post cash prices with credit card purchases $.05 more per gallon. And a few stations with more than that above cash prices.

rebootsemi

Have never seen one yet without the tax added "Yet" The truck stops will usually post the PUC fuel price which is usually 30+ cents lower than retail/cash price.

traveler44

I bought fuel at one of the big truck stops in Indiana and was charged more than the advertised price because I didn't have an IC number. I avoid trucks stops now if I can. Tom M.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Have never seen one yet without the tax added "Yet" The truck stops will usually post the PUC fuel price which is usually 30+ cents lower than retail/cash price.

Oregon PUC price is without the state "tax added" for commercial vehicles with the Oregon PUC permit.

Indiana does the same thing for ALL commercial vehicles with a US DOT number.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Should be a no-brainer. If you're driving about and fuel prices average $4.25 a gallon and suddenly you see one for $3.90, the alarm bell should go off that it's not the deal of the century for you. There's fine print somewhere. They are, after all, TRUCK STOPS, not RV stops.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Should be a no-brainer. If you're driving about and fuel prices average $4.25 a gallon and suddenly you see one for $3.90, the alarm bell should go off that it's not the deal of the century for you. There's fine print somewhere. They are, after all, TRUCK STOPS, not RV stops.

The ones I am talking about are just regular filling stations in Indiana. They are not truck stops. Like a Speedway station or a BP station or a convenience store with pumps. There should be a law that they have to post the actual consumer price on the big sign and not just on the pump. I have pulled in more than one thinking the price was one thing and then pulled out when I saw the real price on the pump.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The ones I am talking about are just regular filling stations in Indiana. They are not truck stops. Like a Speedway station or a BP station or a convenience store with pumps. There should be a law that they have to post the actual consumer price on the big sign and not just on the pump. I have pulled in more than one thinking the price was one thing and then pulled out when I saw the real price on the pump.

OK, delete my last sentence, but my premise is still valid. And unless Indiana is different, I do believe they are required to display the actual pump price on the sign, along with the differentiation between cash and credit. Otherwise it becomes a "bait and switch" type of scheme. Maybe a call to the BBB or the state regulatory agency is needed.

rustyshakelford

This is another reason we decided to hopefully never go back to Indiana with the trailer. Couple this with the worst roads we have traveled to date and the fact 80/90 are a toll road that beats you nearly to death. I hoped everytime we pulled up to a toll both there would be an attendant that I could ask where the toll fee actually goes.

Furl price switcherooski got us a time or too also!

Brett