Has anyone noticed??

Wharton

When I started lurking on this forum the major discussions seemed to be around flat springs, tires and water leaks. I have noticed for a while now that there is little discussion regarding these problems. Best I can tell there is not one "major" item that seems to keep occurring. I know that Heartland has gone from Lippert to Dexter so that may be helping in the spring area. But I would assume that the china bombs are still the primary tire. Very little problems with tires nowadays. What has changed??? I doubt if everyone is ordering the G614s so something else has changed. Could it be the change from Lippert to Dexter has also resolved the tire problems. Don't know why the water problems have gone away. Just a thought...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: Has anyone notiiced??

Interesting observation. Not sure of the reason, but there are certainly less major issues in the forefront lately.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Interesting thought!

A couple things come to mind...I sincerely believe Heartland continues to improve their products on a very consistent basis. For example, my 2011 3450TS (manufacture tag says 9/2009) looks very different from the 2011 3450 being produced now. And, perhaps owners and buyers are becoming better educated regarding purchase and maintenance of their rigs. I know this forum has made me aware of many potential issues giving me the insight to avoid certain problems before they occur.

Not sure I see a difference in the tire problem. I still see many "blow out" threads on the other forums. Our 3450TS came with the 614's...for that I am thankful. We do have the Lippert axles but so far, so good.

Best Wishes!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Could be that although the problems are serious and garner the headlines, they are not as widespread as one might be led to believe. If they were, there would be dozens of rigs along the roads with blown tires, broken springs, and front overhangs laying on the ground.

bluebirdsnfur

Having just purchase a BC 3450 I can tell you they are still using tires from China. I asked. :mad: I am a firm believer in buying "Made in the USA" so DH and I decided to put out the extra money and have the tires swapped out for Goodyear tires.

DH and I feel strongly about this and feel HEARTLAND needs to seriously address this issue!

branson4020

Icantre Member

Don't see what Heartland can do. Not everyone wants to pay for G614s. I don't think there are ANY american-made ST E-range tires and you can't use LT tires and get RVIA certs.

GOTTOYS

Don't see what Heartland can do. Not everyone wants to pay for G614s. I don't think there are ANY american-made ST E-range tires and you can't use LT tires and get RVIA certs.

If I'm not mistaken the load range G tires used on the larger Heartland models are LT tires....I won't be using any Chinese tires...My B.F. Goodrich Commercial LTs are working out great...Don

JonV

Our 2011 Big Country 3510 can with Chinese LTs...

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

I am truly hopeful that Heartland has made the decisions necesary to build a "better bang for our bucks"! Many more folks are upgrading either upon or after their purchase from information this forum has brought to their attention. We can be thankful that we have this tool at our fingertips.

Not to lessen your interesting thought, we are coming off the winter months when most rigs are either nestled tightly behind the driveway snow bank or parked in some warm southern area. Let's hope this is actually a trend showing a better product and not just the result of idle rigs during the winter. I am hoping the "better bang for our bucks" theory wins!

lhetsler

I had about 15,000 on my last two remaining star tires. I just pulled it from winter storage and found hundreds of tiny cracks in the side walls. The first two where ruined by broken spings last summer. So now I have 4 goodyear 614's. I also found broken welds on the trailair equalizers, so I replaced them standard triangular equalizers ($15 each, was not going to spend $249 each on a product that lasted for 15,000 miles) found it to be an easy job. Took about 1 hour. I now have new axles, (replaced under warranty, too short), springs (at my expense), equalizers (at my expense) and new tires (at my expense). All this on a 2008 Bighorn. I still love the 5th wheel, but confess that if I have any more problems with the suspension, I will consider another brand. I hope quality has improved. I have spent $4100 on repairs in three years of ownership. I have never replaced any of these items (because of defects) on any other unit that I have owned and I have been camping for 30 years as an adult. I can say the best advice I have to give is watch those springs, if they look flat, they are flat, replace them. You have to watch the entire suspension like a hawk. If I would have been home when they broke, I could have replace them myself for about $350.00 total for all four. But I was in Iowa with no tools or anywhere to do the work overnight air and you get the picture.

Wharton

I probably started lurking around 2008, that was when springs, axles, tires and water leaks were subjects of many discussions. We still bought a 2011 BH but had G614 put on at the factory and put on a Mor/Ryde suspension(had it before and loved it). I would say I noticed a change around 6 months ago in the forum. We have about 10,000 miles on ours after 5 months of travel and have had zero problems. The forum is what prompted us to order the tires and Mor/Ryde.

I don't know if people are now more educated regarding their rigs, especially tire pressure, or if there have been changes made. But the chatter has decreased significantly regarding these problems. Maybe it is the time of year but the bigger rigs are generally bought by retirees who travel all months of the year.

This has just been a personal observation.

Razduck

So I have a couple of dumb questions.

1.) How do I know which Axle Mfg. our BC has?
2.) How do I know which tires our BC has?

I was not aware there were problems with axles, and tires on some Heartland 5r's.

Wharton

For the axles I would give customer service a call with your vin. Heartland changed to Dexter recently. The axles have generally been OK but the springs were flattening out. I don't know if there is a different mfg. for the springs now. For your tires look on the sidewall and see what brand you have. If you didn't special order G614 your probably have Chinese.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Razduck, another suggestion for axles. Weather permitting, look on your axles for a label. It will tell you the manufacturer, capacity and model number. It should still be readable on your rig.

Razduck

Last weekend I went underneath our BC to remove the spare tire, which I put in the storage area. I did take a look at the springs and noticed that where they rest on the axle, there was a significant flattened out area on the springs. I thought that it looked kinda strange and now with this thread I question their quality. Next week I will do more investigation as to what brand they are for sure.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Last weekend I went underneath our BC to remove the spare tire, which I put in the storage area. I did take a look at the springs and noticed that where they rest on the axle, there was a significant flattened out area on the springs. I thought that it looked kinda strange and now with this thread I question their quality. Next week I will do more investigation as to what brand they are for sure.

Our BC is a 2011...the sticker says the date of manufacture is 9/2009! It has Lippert axles and springs. So far no issues (knock on wood)

Peteandsharon

My rig is a 2008 BH and the two primary issues that I have had are the A/C not cooling well and various issues with the fresh water tank (leaking, not filling completely, acting like it's empty when it really isn't). I guess in the scheme of things that is not bad. We certainly do love the BH. Having said that, I haven't heard of any changes that specifically addressed those issues. I still see threads fairly frequently in those areas. But I don't doubt that Heartland keeps tabs on what comes up on this forum and addresses what they can.

Razduck

I called Heartland Customer Service this morning. From the VIN # I found that the axle and springs are Lippert. I also found that the tires are Tow-Max. I am not certain if these are the Chinese tires or not. We will also be getting a copy of the Build Sheet from the factory. We did not receive a copy of the window sticker when we bought our BC. Hopefully this will list all components, we shall see.

mikeandconnie

As the summer heats up, I think we will see more blow out post. I hope not... So far my Chinlipper spring are holding up on my 2009 Landmark but I do limit my weight and I jack the weight off when sitting. Knock on wood I have a 2000 mile trip next month.