You may ruin it for everyone else

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A few days ago when we were in Elkhart, Indiana we saw a Landmark parked on the Wal-Mart parking lot. The slides were out and so was their generator. They were parked there for 2 days that we know of. IMHO this is just unacceptable. Taking advantage of the free parking offered by Wal-Mart by 'camping' there is going to cause problems for everyone else who might want to 'spend the night'. Not only were they camping there they were in the middle of the parking lot instead of off to the side. C'mon Man! If you can't afford $25 for a night's stay then you should stay home. My opinion.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree Jim. While we were in Fredericksburg we saw several trailers at Walmart that had been there for more than an overnight stay. It'll be sad when we start seeing lawn chairs, patio rugs and propane firepits. On the lighter side, maybe Walmart would be interested in setting up one of us as a display for their camping product displays. It may help with sales.:rolleyes:

branson4020

Icantre Member
Ya know, I just don't understand the etiquette of camping at Wallyworld. Is it OK to hang those little chili pepper lights on our awning?

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I agree Jim. While we were in Fredericksburg we saw several trailers at Walmart that had been there for more than an overnight stay. It'll be sad when we start seeing lawn chairs, patio rugs and propane firepits. On the lighter side, maybe Walmart would be interested in setting up one of us as a display for their camping product displays. It may help with sales.:rolleyes:

Ray, we saw just that at the Wal*Mart on 544 outside of Myrtle Beach last year. A 5th wheel about 38 feet, slides out, carpet down, chairs out, grill set up, generator running, dogs barking inside and no TV in sight. Must have been at the beach! Things like that will surely ruin it down the road for those who are just looking to catch a few zzzzzzz's! Oh, did I forget to mention the four or five bags of trash sitting in the lot behind the trailer!!! It's just not right and is probably the reason Wal*Mart Stores are stopping this all over the the US.

mountain1

four of us in RVs/motorhomes will be traveling to Mo. in May. We had planned to spend the night at a Wal-Mart in Nashville. Would this be wrong? We purchased the wal-mart travel listing of all the wal-marts and intended to double check with the store manager. We will be putting out the slides but not setting up camp. Our wal-mart here has a lot away from about everything and RVs park there all the time. never seen anyone set up camp.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
It's certainly not wrong to stop for the night and put the slides out for comfort and accessibility to your coach. I believe checking with the individual store is always a good idea. There is however, a bold line between stopping for the night and spending a vacation at the store. Cracker Barrel, Camping World and Gander Mountain also offer overnight parking but you should check with them first to make sure there are no local ordinances against your stay. Some municipalities have banned the practice of stopping for the night in a parking lot. Sometimes it is for your own safety as you may not be aware of the surroundings you are placing yourself in. Be safe!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It's certainly not wrong to stop for the night and put the slides out for comfort and accessibility to your coach. I believe checking with the individual store is always a good idea. There is however, a bold line between stopping for the night and spending a vacation at the store. Cracker Barrel, Camping World and Gander Mountain also offer overnight parking but you should check with them first to make sure there are no local ordinances against your stay. Some municipalities have banned the practice of stopping for the night in a parking lot. Sometimes it is for your own safety as you may not be aware of the surroundings you are placing yourself in. Be safe!!

X 2...stop to get some rest for the night, put out slides if necessary, and remember to patronize the store...there's a big difference between "using the facilities and abusing the facilities"...JMHO!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
four of us in RVs/motorhomes will be traveling to Mo. in May. We had planned to spend the night at a Wal-Mart in Nashville. Would this be wrong? We purchased the wal-mart travel listing of all the wal-marts and intended to double check with the store manager. We will be putting out the slides but not setting up camp. Our wal-mart here has a lot away from about everything and RVs park there all the time. never seen anyone set up camp.
While I have not done it, an overnight in a Walmart as you describe is exactly what the intention was. A quick overnight stop and get on the road in the morning. What we have begun seeing is more people "setting up camp" and going out to play tourist or take care of business of some sort. That's just not right.

Crumgater

I had a relative who lived in his 5er (SOB) in the WalMart parking lot... but he was working inside the store on a temporary basis (only a week or two), so the manager was all for it - no "traffic was bad" late excuses for him!
I can't imagine wanting to stay in any parking lot any longer than absolutely necessary, myself.

SueJean

:rolleyes: People who abuse the "privilege" of sleeping in a "Wally World" parking lot are probably the same people that make some nights in various campgrounds uncomfortable for the others around them too. Those people can be found everywhere you go and in every kind of RV out there from Class A's to truck campers.

Loud generators, noisy parties, trashy campsites and "ugly" neighbors with loud voices and barking dogs at all hours of the day and night can be found anywhere. Paying for a space is no guarantee of a good or a safe night's sleep anymore. Crowding in with lots of people in a campground can be just as uncomfortable as sleeping at "Wally World" or a "Flying J".

How to avoid such things? Stay home! :(

However, if you're like us :rolleyes: and you like to travel, then you'll find that you're much happier if you do what you're comfortable with and avoid the things that make you uncomfortable. We personally like sleeping at "Wally Worlds" and have spent many a night in several States.

We always check with the manager first (briefly, so as not to waste his/her time) and are polite no matter the response. We only bring out our bedroom slide and we usually try to park off to a side of the lot where it's hanging over the curb. We almost always buy some groceries during our stay and we never stay more than one night. No grill, no chairs, and no mats outside.

There are many reasons that WW's and other places are closing their lots off to RV'ers and truckers. Bad RV'ers are only one part of the problem. Local campgrounds also work in their communities to close the loop that allows some of us to save a little here and there by not staying in their over-priced parks. Other communities don't want the "gypsy's" hanging around and pass ordinances to keep us out.

What can we do about such things? :confused: Not much that I can see. I'm sure not going to go around trying to "police" other RV'ers no matter where they're parked or what they're doing. Life's too short to get caught up in such distractions. :cool: The best thing about the RV life is, if you don't like where you're at..............MOVE IT! :p

Just my 2 cents...............;)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have never sayed overnight at a Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, Lowe's or such place. Seeing how the economy is bad I figure it is good to support the people in the RV Business.

Also DW put a nix on it a long time ago. She likes her comfort even when going down the road. LOL..

BC

buckeyebob

we live in sandusky ,ohio and have the cedar point amusement park nearby.instead of going to a campground folks will park motor homes and use tag vehicle to go to the park.like you say everything but a campfire!!!!several days in a row ive seen the same mh.somethimes sev in a group running together.all weekend long not off to the side but right out front,in the way.slides out and nobody home!!!

jmgratz

Here is the Escapees 'Code of Conduct' for parking lot stays.

ESCAPEES CODE OF PARKING ETIQUETTE
1. Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
2. Park out of the way.
3. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grill.
4. Avoid using slide-outs if at all possible.
5. Do not use your leveling jacks on asphalt.
6. Limit your stay - one night maximum!
7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank -you
when feasible.
8. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
9. Practice safety precautions

jmgratz

Something else to think about concerning 'parking lot' stays.
1. As travelers you are not familiar with the neighborhood you are in. It could be a high crime area.
2. Many see RVers as people who have money i.e. you have extra money to buy an RV and a tow vehicle. Therefore you are someone who may be 'ripe' to be a victim of crime.
3. Some think of RVers a 'gypsies' and a nusiance to their town and area.
4. You are not supporting your and others who live the RV lifestyle by staying 'free' in a parking lot and not paying to stay in a campground.
5. If you are that strapped for money there are many 'workkamping' opportunities to supplement you income. (mho)
6. Staying one night is one thing but using the parking lots as 'free campgrounds' is something else.
7. Unhooking and going in your tow vehicle to sightsee is not cool.

The above are my own thoughts on the subject of Parking Lot camping. Personally we will never do it unless it is a very last resort and then would only stay a few hours, because as a retired Law Enforcement Officer would never feel safe staying that way.

hoefler

Something else to think about concerning 'parking lot' stays.
1. As travelers you are not familiar with the neighborhood you are in. It could be a high crime area.
2. Many see RVers as people who have money i.e. you have extra money to buy an RV and a tow vehicle. Therefore you are someone who may be 'ripe' to be a victim of crime.
3. Some think of RVers a 'gypsies' and a nuisance to their town and area.
4. You are not supporting your and others who live the RV lifestyle by staying 'free' in a parking lot and not paying to stay in a campground.
5. If you are that strapped for money there are many 'workkamping' opportunities to supplement you income. (mho)
6. Staying one night is one thing but using the parking lots as 'free campgrounds' is something else.
7. Unhooking and going in your tow vehicle to sightsee is not cool.

The above are my own thoughts on the subject of Parking Lot camping. Personally we will never do it unless it is a very last resort and then would only stay a few hours, because as a retired Law Enforcement Officer would never feel safe staying that way.

I could not have said it any better! Between Pass Port America, Good Sam's, etc.. discounts, why would any one want to stay in the asphalt jungle. For what it would cost to run the generator for the night, ( I like my A/C, Satellite TV, etc..) you could spend a night in a park and really enjoy yourself. Just my honest opinion. We will never stay in a parking lot!

danemayer

Last September we got off our planned route, and late in the day, not seeing a campground on the current route, pulled into a truck stop for the night. It was pretty hot so we fired up the LP Generator (which is not nearly as noisy as the trucks on either side of us) and ran the A/C overnight. I was surprised to find that we used an entire 40# tank of LP to run the LP generator for 11-12 hours. Our next stop was Branson where the campground was delighted to fill that tank for just shy of $40. Pretty expensive "free" overnight stay.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Last September we spent 21 days on the road... Actually paid $81 for 9 nights at the warm river campground (usfs campground in Idaho / all access federal pass for half off discount) All the other nights were either in a national forest . flying J / walmart and or rest stops. 21 days of dry camping (no electric or water or sewer) only used 7 gallons of gas to power 2 honda 2000s generators and we always had all our conveniences. We fished some famous trout rivers visited Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Zion and the painted desert. Had a great time and never any problems, we did travel with family in 2 trailers and 2 Tow Vehicles. A grand time was had by all! (I will say that walmart, flying J and rest areas were strictly sleep overs between our destinations). The beauty of a travel trailer is you can do it just about any way you want, just be respectful and safe.

BarneyFife

I've never understood the whole Wal-Mart thing anyway. I'm not knocking those who do. I just don't get it.

We only "overnight" when we head down to Disneyworld. There are so many $25/night nice campgrounds along the way. For $25, I get a much better chance of peace and quiet and I support the local RV economy.

Again, I'm not knocking anyone who does the Wal-Mart stuff but for $25, its a no-brainer for us.