Water heater runs on gas with switch off ??

mdhill

Has anyone ever had their water heater start up and run with switch off? Yesterday I
was on the off door side in the front cargo area when I heard the water heater come on.
I was sure I had switch off but double checked. It was off. I quickly turned gas off also.
Anyone else experienced this?

mdhill

There are 3 switches involved in the operation of your water heater. Which switch was tured off?

The red switch in the kitchen and the small rocker toggle by the water heater and the rocker switch next to the pump switch.

Addendum/ I just went out and checked the switch by the pump switch....it was on.... which switch controls what ???

branson4020

Icantre Member
The rocker switch on the monitor panel controls the gas. The lighted red toggle switch that looks like a residential light switch controls the electric heating element. It is wired in series with the rocker switch in the water heater compartment. You can use both gas and electric at the same time.

mdhill

The rocker switch on the monitor panel controls the gas. The lighted red toggle switch that looks like a residential light switch controls the electric heating element. It is wired in series with the rocker switch in the water heater compartment. You can use both gas and electric at the same time.
So if the switch near the water heater itself is off, does that mean that the switch in the kitchen (that looks like residential switch) will not work?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Yup. I always turn that little switch off when I have the tank drained. It's soooo easy to flip the switch in the rig and turn on the electric element. Only takes a minute to burn it out if there is no water in the tank.

mdhill

Yup. I always turn that little switch off when I have the tank drained. It's soooo easy to flip the switch in the rig and turn on the electric element. Only takes a minute to burn it out if there is no water in the tank.

Thanks Bob, I have to be retrained at the beginning of each season I guess...ha