Frame weld breaking loose

dfnoland

We purchased a 2009 Big Country in March of 2008. Last summer my husband thought he noticed more movement around the hitch area than usual but thought maybe it was his imagination. The more we pulled it the more we became concerned. When the mouldings in the front closed started pulling loose we decided maybe we should have it checked out. So we took it out of storage in early March and took it to our dealer and sure enough when they tore it apart they found two welds that have come loose in the frame and was causing it to move. Our dealer has been working with Heartland and Lippert to resolve the problem. It has been over a month since we took it in. Still the problem is unresolved because Heartland and Lippert are not wanting to take responsiblity for the problem. I just wondered if anyone else has had this kind of problem with their rig and if they have any ideas as to how to fix this problem. We want to go camping not sit here at home waiting for them to decied how to fix the problem :(:(:(.

We had the same problem with our Bighorn twice and Heartland took care of everything. I couldn't be more pleased with the service from Heartland.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As I see it, if you want to go camping...then bite the bullet and have it repaired yourself. Or you can wait to see if either HL or Lippert will help you. Any good welder can repair it. They can grind down the old welds and reweld everything. Have them add gussets or "fish plates" at any weak spots. Your coach is 3 years old now and it's unfortunate that this has happened. I'm not sure what the original frame warranty was, maybe 2 years at the most. Did you purchase an aftermarket warranty/insurance policy?? If you did, it might help you. Can't help you anymore than this..it's your choice now.

Did you or your dealer take any pix of the broken welds and email/send them to either Lippert or HL?? If not, I would do it even if they have not decided to do anything for you yet. Have you talked to either HL or Lippert yourself?? I would call HL service back yourself and talk to them and email them some pix and be nice on the phone. Make sure that you have your VIN# handy when you call.

GOTTOYS

I would call in a certified welder to fix it. 2-3 hours and it will be done. You could spend weeks trying to get it resolved, not knowing how it will turn out. Send the bill and photos in and see if they will pay it. If they do great, if they don't it's still fixed. I think you will have a better chance of getting it paid if they know what the exact amount is rather than someone giving you an open checkbook and just telling you to fix it. It's not going to break the bank to get this repaired, just do it. JMHO... Don

dfnoland

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. You've given me some good ideas and will put some of them to use. Thanks again!!:):):)

rebootsemi

As Bob stated just contact a local welding shop or even a portable welder and have them glue it back together. Trouble is when they build these things they have kids running mig machines welding the frame together, most of them wouldn't know a good weld from a bad one. If done correctly there is know way we should be able to break the pin box loose, just more poor workmanship.