ATF: Big Country - Brakes, etc

jfpayne35

As a new Big Country owner (*S*) I pulled the hubs to check the brakes...the following questions came to mind as I looked around. Any helpful answers would be appreciated!
1. How long should a good set of brakes normally last...it's a 36 ft, model 3355RL....and we love it!!
2. What are the model numbers for brake shoes, the magnets and grease seals? I don't find any numbers at all??
3. Anything special I should know (these are standard--nonselfadjusting--brakes)

Thanks!! Looking forward to going full-time this June!!

Peace, John

jimtoo

Hi John,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure someone will will jump in soon with some answers for you. I have pulled mine over 30K miles and the shoes are still good. I'm not sure the factory can give you the part numbers as they buy assembled axles. Look under and get model number and weight rating of axle and call Dexter or Lippert, which ever it is....

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

B

bwwalczak

I have been informed that HL service will be contacting you later today.

jfpayne35

Thanks Jim. I have been going back and forth with Lippert/axle numbers/etc and have learned a lot from our e-mails.....but still no numbers that I can use to order just the brake shoes, etc. They seem to want to sell me the entire brake assembly--lol.
Good to hear you have had 30k plus on the brakes. I know the wear depends on the user, but didn't know on trailers if I could expect 10k or 60k.....I appreciate your response *S*
John

caissiel

I had a unit for 13 years and bought it when 2 year old. Had close to 70/100K miles on it and many tires. The brakes were changed once, and not because of wear but the linings was starting to fail and break. I found it was just as well to change the whole plate and stuff to do the job right. It was on 5K axles though. By the time the lining needed changing the magnets, springs and adjusters were in need of change anyway.

lwmcguir

Brake life depends mostly on how you drive and how you set the brake controller. Some folks use more brake on the TV and others use the trailer. The right way is to try to balance it so the trailer doesnt push or drag more than the TV brakes.