Toyota Highlander and M21

wakbjk

Hi to all We are looking at a M21 and have a 2008 Highlander with tow package. Does anyone have experience with this combo? The TV is rated for 500 lb hitch and 5000 lb trailer wt.
Thanks for any input.
Wayne
Port Orange Fl

jimtoo

Hi Wayne,

Welcome the the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some answers soon from other owners.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum and hopefully you become a family member soon.

Yellowreef

You'd be fine as far as dry weight ect. Just keep in mind that accessories and camping gear can add up pounds quick and you woul have to be mindful not to overload the trailer. You should also not load to the 5,000 lbs exactly as you need to leave some play room to compensate for sway. Other than that, you will have no issues towing the TT.

camr

Wayne, you should have no problem. We tow an M-22 with a Buick Enclave and a Reese sway control hitch. The one addition that I would strongly suggest is an external transmission cooler. Ours is a Tru-cool brand that I had installed at a local transmission shop. We found the Edge to be well designed and constructed. We pulled it away from the dealer's lot, and didn't return it until the end of the season for winterization.
We Canadians are envious of your year round camping season. We were down in Orlando last week for a conference, and I almost cried when an RV went by. Our night time lows are still going down below freezing. I wish you the best of luck and a great camping season.

Cam

JeffN

Hello, We currently tow an M22 with a 2010 Honda Pilot (Max tow rating of 4500 lbs) and it does a decent job of towing 90% of the time, although I wouldn't feel comfortable taking our set up into any mountainous areas. I definitely feel the lack of power/torque on the steeper grades. I believe the Highlander has a similar tow rating as our honda. As others have mentioned, the weight distributing hitch is a must and a sway control bar will give you a bit if extra security (I was a towing newbie when we purchased our M22 so I needed all the help I could get). The extras do add up..the dry weight on ours is supposed to be 3690 lbs.. but with propane, battery, extra options, and a minimal amount of gear we weigh in at 4,090 lbs ( I weighed the M22 disconnected at a truck stop weigh scale). That being said we never travel with our freshwater tank full and dieting is encouraged around our house ;-)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We tried to tow our NorthTrail 21FBS with a Toyota 4Runner V8 with tow package. Although it would pull it and was within the weight requirements, we had issues with crosswinds and passing semi's that would cause sway, even with WDH and sway control bar. We upgraded to a Toyota Tundra and had no problems towing. (Would forget it was even there!). I would consider a more powerful vehicle and longer wheelbase if you plan to tow long distances or over elevations.