Need some advice

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We are considering changing out our manual patio awnings to the power awnings.If you have made this conversion are you happy with your decision?Also if you made the change from manual to electric did you use your tube and awning fabric and add the motor and the rest of the assembly or did you install the entire new awning,fabric,motor and hardware.Thanks for your help.

Last fall Lynn and I purchased our second Bighorn. Our first unit had the manual awning but the new rig has the electric. In the old rig I had to get the ladder out, find the hook, and make all the adjustments. Now we just push a button. Lynn’s new goal in life seems to be keeping me off ladders, something to do with my lack of coordination. Not sure why she thinks that. Maybe it’s the broken ribs when I fall.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Terry, I've been on the fence with this same decision. When we were full time and set up in the northern areas where wind was not a major factor we used to put out the awning and stake it down patio style. It would handle most windy situations.
Down in TX, we rarely have it out cause it's windy most always. I think though, if we were to do a lot of moving around, electric would be nice. Just push the button and presto chango, your good to go either way. If I did do the switch, I would prefer to have the type you can manually tilt for rain runoff. I don't like to rely on anything automatic that could fail and end up being damaged.

Duramax1

Our previous RV had a manual awning and our current RV has an electric.

In both cases on occasion I have staked down the awning to the ground to deal with wind issues but usually with the electric I will simply bring it in because pushing a button is easier than staking it to the ground.

jolar3329

When I ordered my trailer I demanded the manual awning. When I go to South Texas I set the trailer up for 3 to 4 months. I install awning bows and a sunscreen and tie the awning down. I've been in 40 mph winds and suffered no damage. You can't do this with an electric awning. Electric awnings are O'K for short stays. It all depends on how you intend to use the rig.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When I ordered my trailer I demanded the manual awning. When I go to South Texas I set the trailer up for 3 to 4 months. I install awning bows and a sunscreen and tie the awning down. I've been in 40 mph winds and suffered no damage. You can't do this with an electric awning. Electric awnings are O'K for short stays. It all depends on how you intend to use the rig.
There were several rigs set this way in our park in Mission. It seemed they didn't have any issues. As mentioned though, a lot depends on your travel situation and how often you move.

Dave49

We now have an electric awning now, and have had manuals on all others. If I had my choice now, it would have been a manual. Like others have said its not recommended to tie down the electrics, but know that people do. I just like to be able to tie the awning down tight and not have to worry about every little bit of wind that comes up.

On the other hand, I am in the process rigth now of figuring out how I can tie the electric down very secure, but its going to take some sort of supports. Right now thinking of some PVC. Will let you know when I get it figured out.

Dave

Duramax1

I must be missing something in this discussion.

I tie down my electric exactly the same way that I used to tie down my manual.

On either end of the awning roller I secure a rope and, using a bugee cord, anchor each rope into the ground.

Was there something more I should have been doing when anchoring my manual or now when anchoring the electric?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While I don't park in gale force wind areas, I don't tie down my electric awning. The arms are supposed to flex at the "knee" to absorb wind gusts, within reason. And there are different designs of the support arms, depending on which brand awning it is.

View attachment 12742

rebootsemi

To bad they don't make awning with vent flaps of some kind, our electric model has with stood some fair winds without any damage. If I know the wind is going to blow I just hit the button, no harm no foul.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To bad they don't make awning with vent flaps of some kind, our electric model has with stood some fair winds without any damage. If I know the wind is going to blow I just hit the button, no harm no foul.

That's not a bad idea. Sort of like the wind-proof (mostly) umbrellas with the vent flaps at the top. A vent flap in the middle of the awning would help keep it from ballooning up and over. Better get a patent on that idea.

rebootsemi

Got the race on at Telladega and was thinking those cars have roof flaps, but those are to kill the air, wind proof umbrellas have a vent panel. Should work on a awning, by the time one of use finally got a patent out of the Gov't the awning people would have them on the market.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our awning has an on/off switch for the wind sensor. The new ones do not. We can turn ours off and then stake it down if we want to.