Inadequate A/C

Birchwood

Just want to confirm with members the importance of the second A/C in the bedroom.
We are in Florida and temps are around 90 F with 90%+ humidity and the one A/C
is on 24 hours per day.The bedroom never cools as we would like... but is liveable.

hoefler

We like it to be very cool at night to sleep, 68*-70* is perfect. When we were is Tunica 2 summers ago, we were glad to have the second A/C. It hit 108* and with just the main A/C going, it hit 88* inside and running a stream of water off the roof. If it wasn't for the second A/C it would never had been cool enough for us to sleep. The next day we left the second A/C on but set a couple of degrees high than the main, it never got over 75* inside and the outside temp hit 110*.

navyAZ1

We had the 2nd A/C added and had the type put in where they cut into the duct system so the bedroom fed the ducts. The advantage to this is once the coach is cooled down in the evening we turn off the main A/C and just use the the bedroom it makes it a less nosiy while watching TV and you still get cool air.

StephenKatSea

The 2nd A/C for the bedroom is one good solution. We did not have a Heartland dealer near, so we opted to go with the "best" free standing A/C at Home Depot (about $500). The supply access was cut on the "driver's side" of our new BH3670. A factory style exterior fixture was installed at the inlet site. We are now beginning our second year of 110 degree+ summer temps in the Arizona desert. IT WORKS GREAT. We do not have your humidity levels, which certainly complicates the situatiation. But, you can "hang meat" in our bedroom during the maximum hot AZ summer. Some on this site were unbelieving of this arrangement. Been there, done that, and it works very well for us for less dollars. Hope it works for you also.

This is NOT a window unit. It stands in our bedroom closet and exhausts thru the factory type vent on the side of our BH.

mountain1

I use the stand up type purchased from Lowes for the toy hauler part where my dogs are. It keeps that part very cool. On real hot days in the front part of the terailer we use a fan to circulate the air. Ours never gets real hot in either place.

Birchwood

My neighbour here in Florida said he removed one of his recliners and set in a floor model .
Will have to toy with that idea as I can't belive a 15000 btu A/C will not cool this trailer.
I have 10 A/C vents and the bedroom cooling is still inadequate.I have a 10000 btu A/C in a
widow of my home and cooling was adequate.
Maybe Heartland should install an extra A/C in the bedroom.The furnace seems to heat the RV
well in cold weather.ITS EQUALLY AS UNCOMFORTABLE IN HOT WEATHER SO WHY NOT SUPPLY
THE PROPER COOLING !!!!!!!!!!!!

jmaguire

We have the Eagle Ridge DSRL35, and it wont cool the trailer very well at 85degrees and above.

rebootsemi

Need to check and see what temp the unit will put out. I use a temp gauge and stick it into the exit air duct, if I remember correctly it will put out around 55 degrees. The dealer had to replace our whole unit right after we bought the trailer, they ate the cost but not very good to have A/C go out on a brand new Sundance.

Wharton

We don't encounter very hot weather much but we found with the ducted AC that they don't work as well as the non-ducted. What has helped us is to pull the vents out of the ceiling, lets out a lot more cool air.

Gaffer

I was wondering if any of you tried the tent in the vent before installing the second AC. Might be time to revisit the following:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/1069-AC-air-flow-problem-SOLVED

jmaguire

I made the same modification to mine and it does help the airflow. It does not however increase the BTU output of the AC.
That modification worked very nicely, and will probably solve some of the AC problems. But if the issue is not enough BTU's then it really isn't solving anything.

jimtoo

Hi pddgtm,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share when needed.

The mod PJ posted a link to is very good to do. A second a/c is needed for almost all units that are used in the South for comfort.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is my feeling that a second AC unit is needed regardless of where you use you unit. I mean 98 degrees in North Dakota is just as hot as 98 degrees in Texas. The difference is it just doesn't last as long. But if you want comfort you should have 2 ACs. Ideally you could have one AC and one heat pump that way the heat pump could supplement the one AC and act as a supplemental heat source as well. MHO

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
It is my feeling that a second AC unit is needed regardless of where you use you unit. I mean 98 degrees in North Dakota is just as hot as 98 degrees in Texas. The difference is it just doesn't last as long. But if you want comfort you should have 2 ACs. Ideally you could have one AC and one heat pump that way the heat pump could supplement the one AC and act as a supplemental heat source as well. MHO

This is what we did. But with both units heat pumps. That way we will also be comfortable in colder weather also. Once we get the living room AC replaced we should be good to go that is.