Lippert rally promo advise

Bobby A

Hi all,
I am considering taking advantage of some of the rally discounts offered by Lippert and I would like some feedback. Let me start by saying I would love the level up system, even with the nice discount I can't justify getting it because of the expense and our travel needs. So, what I'am considering is 3 things. Getting the self adjusting brakes put on my 7K axles, getting the hydraulic landing gear, and the tri glide air ride pin box, I would like to hear from those of you that have these items on your coach and get your feedback on how you like them. Also for the people that have the tri glide how you like it and if you could take a measurement for me and let me know the distance from the center of the pin straight back to the trailer. I have the Dodge mega cab and need all the clearance I can get, I have the original 1621HD pin box on now and haven't had any turning issues. I welcome any and all feedback.
Thank in advance,

Bobby A

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bobby, we have the tri glide and love it. As soon as the snow stops I'll go get a measurement for you BUT... Trail Air produces 2 different lengths of the Tri Glide and I don't know the specifics of how they determine which one you will get. Mine is the long jaw version. If you get the long jaw version, you will not have a clearance issue.
We are also getting the hydraulic front landing gear conversion. As for the self adjusting brakes, I think they are a great idea. You certainly can't beat the price.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
When we were in Elkhart last month, we had the TriGlide put on. Best money we ever spent on the trailer. I have no idea what the TriGlide model is, we just told them which pin box we had. (1621) We did have to adjust the hitch lower, and then when we got home, took the pin box up another hole. We had plenty of clearance, but were towing nose high.

GOTTOYS

I talked to Lippert several weeks ago and have a Tri-Glide set aside. All you need to do is tell them your vin number and they will hook you up with which one you need. I wanted the hydraulic gear installed also but there were no more appointments for a least a week before, during and a week after the rally. Probably farther out now and I didn't want to hang around for a couple weeks. I'll just install the Tri-Glide myself....Don

bdb2047

If you allredy have a Trailair box,double check which one you have.I ordered a tri glide jaw,after it arrived and much dicussion I find out mine is an M15 not the Lo5 everone thought it was.Lippert has been good about it but have to send it back or buy an Lo5.I ordered the Trailair with camper.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If I were going to do anything to brakes I would change them to disc brakes. We have them and love it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If I were going to do anything to brakes I would change them to disc brakes. We have them and love it.

Jim, I assume you mean hydraulic disc's. What did that setup run you and where did you get it? I have already had braking issues. Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, I assume you mean hydraulic disc's. What did that setup run you and where did you get it? I have already had braking issues. Thanks[/QUOTE

We got our hydraulic/electric disc brakes at the same time we got the Mor-Ryde IS system. That was 3 years ago. We have a friend who chaged his out by himself but his is very handy. Depending on where you get it does it should run $1500-3000.

porthole

Retired
If you are mechanically inclined it can be a do it yourself project. All bolt on parts and some brake line fabrications.

jnbhobe

Hardest part is running the brake lines and thats just about taking the time to run them the way you want them.

Bobby A

Are you using a sliding hitch , SuperGlide in particular?

No. I have the standard 16K Reese hitch, I have never had a problem with sharp turns. I measured it today, it is 73 inches from the center of the pin back to the trailer.
Thanks all for your replies.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bobby, We love the hydraulic landing gear. Really quick! Plus my neighbor has a 2010 BH 3580 and my landing gear looks much stronger than his.
It is painful for me now to go to the back and spend 3 minutes lowering the rear electric stabilizers. (3 seconds on the front.)
I highly recommend the hydraulic front landing gear. Trace

DW_Gray

The Trail Air Tri Glide is great and performs as advertised. Since you already have a hitch I recommend that and the hydraulic landing gear is a must with the Trail Air Tri Glide. If you were buying another hitch I'd have a different answer.

I'm looking forward to getting the Level-up system.

DW_Gray

And one other thing. I had to set my 5th wheel to the highest position to clear the side rails on my Dodge. Costly lesson learned.

Bobby A

And one other thing. I had to set my 5th wheel to the highest position to clear the side rails on my Dodge. Costly lesson learned.

Won't trail air adjust that for me when I'm ther getting the new tri glide installed ?? I wouldn't think they would want me to make the first turn out of there drive way and damage my truck ??

DW_Gray

Won't trail air adjust that for me when I'm ther getting the new tri glide installed ?? I wouldn't think they would want me to make the first turn out of there drive way and damage my truck ??

No, not for what I'm talking about. The potential problem will depend on the make of you 5th wheel. I had to raise the the 5th wheel height to the highest setting. I needed more space between the side rails and the bottom of the RV overhang. Look at my RV picture. Shown here was when the 5th wheel was in the middle position. Here the truck and RV was level which is best. There was about 7 inches between the side rail and the bottom of the RV overhang. Unfortunately, while backing at an angle, the rear wheel of the truck dropped into a dip. Therefore the front corner of the RV crashed into the rear corner of the side rail resulting $240 damage to the RV and $1,000 to the truck. Even at the highest setting I have already scratched my Line-X liner from the frame that the pin box is bolted to. The problem is that the trucks side rails are higher in recent years. Some days I want to take a saw to the side rails.

Bobby A

No, not for what I'm talking about. The potential problem will depend on the make of you 5th wheel. I had to raise the the 5th wheel height to the highest setting. I needed more space between the side rails and the bottom of the RV overhang. Look at my RV picture. Shown here was when the 5th wheel was in the middle position. Here the truck and RV was level which is best. There was about 7 inches between the side rail and the bottom of the RV overhang. Unfortunately, while backing at an angle, the rear wheel of the truck dropped into a dip. Therefore the front corner of the RV crashed into the rear corner of the side rail resulting $240 damage to the RV and $1,000 to the truck. Even at the highest setting I have already scratched my Line-X liner from the frame that the pin box is bolted to. The problem is that the trucks side rails are higher in recent years. Some days I want to take a saw to the side rails.

How many inches off the top of your rails are you normall with the added height ??I think my truck is very simular to your, 07 mega cab 6.7CTD 4X4, I don't want any issues. ??????????????

Last edited: