Winter Texans

HappyKayakers

Anybody here winter in the RGV? I'm starting my search for a winter workamper position and thought I'd try south Texas. Initial searches show quite a few RV parks. Just wondering if anybody has personal experience there.

DougAndJudy

We just finished 6 months volunteering as park hosts at Bentsen State Park in Mission. It was close to several of the parks that many Heartland winter Texans stay at. The work was interesting, but the activities were few... other than work. The weather was very nice compared to the rest of the country this last winter.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We actually own a lot in Retama Village, just up the street from where Doug and Judy worked...there are over 500 RV parks in the RGV. We personally like the upper valley much better than the lower valley...the Mission/McAllen area is much nicer!

There should be lots of workcamping opportunities...right around the corner from us is Seven Oaks...you might try there. Also up the street are Bentsen Grove, Green Gate, Americana, just to name a few...also Mission West, Circle T...the list is almost endless...Good Luck!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
My suggestion would be to come down...pick a park, probably in the middle valley, for a week or two and tour the area from one end to the other. You will undoubtedly find what your looking for. Do it early in the season, possibly October, before all the workamper positions are filled....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check out Workkampers.com and register. They will send you a daily listing of work kamping openings. Some are in the RGV. You can also post your resume.