Maybe How Pump Should Be Installed.

rebootsemi

2011 3000RK Sundance: Pulled at of the panels out of the basement to install a 50 amp surge protector and saw how the water pump and plumbing was installed, not a pretty site, my week covered all areas, electrical, plumbing, HVAC. Anyway our pump made quite a bit of noise especially when you were in the bathroom. Found the pump not to be mounted to the floor, fixed that by mounting it on a 2x6 still made noise, watching it run it became clear that it was the pex tubing shaking when the pump cycled. Completely redo on the lines in and out, went to plastic hose which is much softer than the stiff pex tube. Tried it at first with a straight piece of hose into the pump and did not help much, old gas services trick, added a loop in the hose into the pump and insulate as much as you can get to. The noise is really reduced, you can still hear it in the bathroom, not near as loud as before, but when you are right next to it in the basement you can hardly hear it. From the kitchen you do not know the pump is running. "Sweet"

Attachments

• Sundance water pump after.JPG
    Sundance water pump after.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Sundance water pump before.JPG
    Sundance water pump before.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 224

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nice job, looks good. One of the things I did in a previous trailer was to add a 2 gallon pressure tank. It helped reduce the surging when only using a small amount of water and it also reduced the noise level. If I ever get the ambition, I would do as you did and re-route some of my plumbing lines and electrical wiring and add the small tank. Too many other honey do's on the list right now.

rebootsemi

I was thinking about a surge tank but at this time I do not really have anything to use. Thought of making one out of some big PVC pipe (like 4 or 6"). Problem is finding a place to mount it in that mess.
Maybe you know are any of the new style Shur-Flo pumps any better, I have read some about the 4008 model as being pretty good???

boatdoc

If you have not put it all back together go back and get your charger up off the floor some how. One water leak down there and "poof" the charger doesn't work any longer. A couple of us found this out the hard way.

GOTTOYS

I was told by a repair center I was at recently that you can "tune" the pump to eliminate some of the pulsing when you have a faucet partially open. He said to run the water and turn a screw that is on the head of the pump to adjust out some of the pulsing. Haven't looked at it or tried it. Pretty reputable shop. Only supposed to be able to do this on a Sure-Flow pump...Don

rebootsemi

I looked at the charger and it is up on the floor piece away from most of the plumbing and the way the can is made there is about a 1/2" of clearance under the unit.
I basically have the exact same water pump on my 40 gal spay unit for the ATV. I have never heard of adjusting one of these but I will give it a look and see what happens. The one on the ATV is easy to get at, it's on top of the tank, I'll let you know what I find out.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Only suggestion would be to put that 2x6 on a rubber matting and also the rubber matting on top of the 2x6 and put the pump on the rubber matting. I think that would help the vibration too.

wobly

I used your ideas from this thread along with some ideas from another forum and created a 2" "styrofoam sandwich" with luan that I mounted underneath the pump and wrapped pipe insulation around the hoses. The faucet in the bathroom is louder than the pump now.
Great mod to do!

rebootsemi

Now if we the ill informed no talent customer can perform this simple mod to this water pump, why couldn't the factory do it. They could have pump pre-assembled on a pad with the looped and insulated hoses all pre-made so all the trained monkey would have to do is screw the pump pad to the floor and connect the hoses to the pex tubing.

SilverRhino

Now if we the ill informed no talent customer can perform this simple mod to this water pump, why couldn't the factory do it. They could have pump pre-assembled on a pad with the looped and insulated hoses all pre-made so all the trained monkey would have to do is screw the pump pad to the floor and connect the hoses to the pex tubing.

Lee;

I guess someone at the factory tried to improve the installation when they built our 2010 BC........they stuck a 2" X 2" piece of carpet under ONE of the screws mounting our pump! :confused:

I removed the "factory mount" and placed the pump on a piece of rubber matting.

Randy

ParkIt

I haven't had time yet to go through the plumbing/electrical/hydraulics yet but when I do the "loop sandwich" looks like a great idea - depending on the type of water pump its got. That may be replaced rather quickly - I'm really picky about water pumps in units.