Landmark Questions?

I currently own a Glendale Titanium trailer and have not had any major mechanical problems with it since I bought it new three seasons ago. I am looking at a new Heartland Rushmore. I like the quality of the interior and new features the Landmark offers.
On the surface I think these new features would be great to have but I am concerned with the future maintenance problems I may encounter. The Titanium had electric driven landing gear and an individual motor for each slide. How does this compare to the one main hydraulic cylinder and hydraulic lines going to the landing gear and the slides? Will the hydraulic system work well for the long term or just be a very costly system to maintain over time? Will the auto- leveling work for the long term or just be another feature that is troublesome and costly to maintain?
The power cable electric rewind also is a great feature compared to carrying, unwinding and rewinding a 50 amp cable by hand. Does the electric cable winder work for the long term? What happens when it is raining out and you rewind the cable?
Is the automatic ice maker more trouble than it is worth, like winterizing it?
Are there any other mechanical or maintenance problems that I will encounter over time that I did not have with my Titanium?
With the Titanium I had a three year bumper to bumper warranty. With the Landmark I understand it is only one year?
I will be pulling the Landmark with a 2006 F250 diesel
I would greatly appreciate any comments anyone could give concerning these points.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bniergarth, welcome to the forum and hopefully Heartland family. This is a great forum with lots of info. Be sure to look around.

I currently own a Glendale Titanium trailer and have not had any major mechanical problems with it since I bought it new three seasons ago. I am looking at a new Heartland Rushmore. I like the quality of the interior and new features the Landmark offers.
On the surface I think these new features would be great to have but I am concerned with the future maintenance problems I may encounter. The Titanium had electric driven landing gear and an individual motor for each slide. How does this compare to the one main hydraulic cylinder and hydraulic lines going to the landing gear and the slides? Will the hydraulic system work well for the long term or just be a very costly system to maintain over time? Will the auto- leveling work for the long term or just be another feature that is troublesome and costly to maintain? The hydraulic landing gear is, in my opinion, far superior to the electric. It is a whole lot faster than electric. I have the auto level on my Bighorn and love it. Can't comment on the long term as is fairly new, although it is the same system that operates the slide system and that has been trouble free.
The power cable electric rewind also is a great feature compared to carrying, unwinding and rewinding a 50 amp cable by hand. Does the electric cable winder work for the long term? What happens when it is raining out and you rewind the cable? When it is raining and I wind up the cable, I get wet from the rain.
Is the automatic ice maker more trouble than it is worth, like winterizing it? Some people like it some don't. Mostly because it take up a lot of room in the freezer when you have a standard size refer. We have the 4 door refer so there is plenty of freezer space and not an issue for us. As far as winterizing I did not think it was a problem. Just follow the instructions.
Are there any other mechanical or maintenance problems that I will encounter over time that I did not have with my Titanium? Hard to compare apples to oranges.
With the Titanium I had a three year bumper to bumper warranty. With the Landmark I understand it is only one year? Yes, but some things like the refer for example, have a manufactures warranty that is longer.
I would greatly appreciate any comments anyone could give concerning these points.
Peace
Dave

danemayer

The auto-level and power cord rewind on our Rushmore make life pretty easy. For me, the icemaker is borderline.

We haven't had any major mechanical problems, but we have had some minor problems. Worst problem we've had is the Dometic Refrigerator (RM1350) failing on our last trip - couldn't get it to cool at all. Dometic had the service tech do some diagnostics including a board-level reset, after which it started working again. We're in Port Aransas this week and the refrig seems to be ok.

We're pulling our Rushmore with a 2011 GMC 3500 diesel, which does very nicely, including in the Colorado mountains. I haven't weighed, but I'd estimate we're over 15,000# and the pin weight is probably approaching 3000#. An F250 will probably pull that much weight, but will probably be overloaded on the rear axle. Nevertheless, some people say it works for them.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Although our Landmark is a 2007, pulling one with a 3/4 ton pickup will probably make you overloaded. Our Landmark scales out at 16500 and the pin weight is 4200 (actual weight not what they say). We have air bags on our F350 dually and just upgraded to a Hensley Trailer Saver hitch with airbags. (a great positive upgrade.) My opinion is everyone should weigh their rig to know what the real weight is. Don't guess. I think you will find your pin weight is much more than you think. This issue has just about been done to death on this forum so do some searching and read all about it. There are many opinions about whether a 3/4 ton pickup is enough truck. BTW the older trucks have a lower tow rating than the newer ones.

Willym

We went from Titanium to Landmark. I agree with Cookie on the mechanical items. We have had only minor problems with the rig. You'll love the hydraulic slides and jacks, so much faster and smoother. We went to Alaska with 3 Titanium owners last summer and did a lot of set ups. Using the auto levelling, we would be sitting down enjoying a nice drink while they were still messing around with lego blocks under their wheels! Our Dometic RM1350 works very well. The icemaker feature is great, but we don't fill the ice container fully so that we can use it to store food items if we need to.
I use a Ram 3500 DRW and can attest to the heavy pin weight for this model.
If you are dealing with Morry's, you'll get very good after sales service. We've bought 4 fivers from them.

caissiel

I bought a Big Country because it had less stuff to break, and am able to tow it with my F250 very well.
Motorhomes have hydraulic leveling, because there are wheels at all 4 corners.
I met a former farmer this winter that changed from hydraulic to electric landing gears when trading trailers because he was afraid of the hydraulic setup from his farming experience.
The Truck is also an XL because my loaded GM previous had every option failing before the truck.
Just my experience and reasoning.

mmomega

AnyTimer
We have an '11 Landmark KeyLargo and I pulled it half a mile to the cat scales and weighed her at 13625 with 2700 pin weight. Technically a 3/4 ton would be overweight and illegal, I have a '07 f350 and we're actually thinking about going ahead and jumping to a dually this year. I have experienced a blowout on the right rear toss on a spare and followed by another blowout on the left rear within 2 hours of driving on a Sunday evening with no tire stores open, talk about suck. Tires had 2400 miles on them Goodyear wranglers.

Back to the Landmark I agree with Dave, I cam from electric jacks on a KZ unit and absolutely love the hydraulic system....so far.
The powered chord reel is great, I didn't like having to coil and store that long 50amp chord each trip.It's basically a compartment at the rear with nothing else and vented so I don't believe a wet chord is a concern.
I really like the ice maker personally, we too have the side by side fridge and space isn't a problem. Now I don't have to remember to go to the store and have a bag just sitting in the freezer. I just plug up the RV at the house the night before our trip and by morning when we leave the ice maker is full and fridge is full of food and cold and stays that way til we get where we're going.
Other problems... only thing I've experienced was my "santiflush" line wasn't completely tightened so I had about a cup of water spray into the basement when I went to flush the holding tank. No huge deal, noticed it as soon as I turned the water on. So far that's it.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Can't comment on the ice maker, etc., but can tell you the hydraulic systems does VERY well in the long term. Our Bighorn, which is an '08, came with hydraulic slides. Over two years ago, we added a six-point Level-Up leveling sytem, and the entire thing runs off the original hydraulic pump...we've lived in the unit since July of '07 and have had zero problems with this system...would never go back to electric!!

As for towing with a F250, especially a 2006...you might want to reconsider...you will definitely be overloaded.

Thank you all for the great comments and advice. I just upgraded my truck to a new 2011 F350 diesel and pick up my new Landmark Rushmore in three weeks. My wife and I are really looking forward to all of the new features of the Landmark.
By the way we did buy it from Morry’s. This will be our third trailer purchased from Morry’s and are confident we will continue to get excellent service and we have with our previous trailers

lwmcguir

Curious if you got the 20" tire and wheel option on your F350. We sure like ours, best truck we have ever owned.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Congrats on the new rig!! You'll love your new Heartland...and glad to see you got a TV that can easily handle it!!

Because of the time constraints of ordering a new vehicle we had to take one off of a dealer’s lot. We had 20’ tires on our old truck and really liked them. On the new truck we got upgraded 18”. This truck had the majority of options and colour we wanted but no 20” tires.