Shelving Falls//any ideas?

kurtmcq

We just took delivery of our M23 and the adjustable shelving next to the cooking area tosses up the shelves while we drive. Any ideas for making these a little more stable yet keeping them adjustable?

-Kurt

Sounds like your shelves are sliding forward a bit then falling down, correct? I fixed ours by moving the two supports at the back of the cabinet forward about 6 inches. The shelves can't fall and they are a whole lot more stable. Just go slow with the wood screws and use a screwdriver for final tightening of the screws in the new location as Edge interior materials are light, but somewhat fragile.

jimtoo

Hi kurtmcq,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Sorry your having a problem with the shelves, but looks like someone has given you an idea on a good fix.

Think about joining the Heartland Owners Club. You can see the benefits there and also try to make a rally in your area.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

OH! Great idea! I'll give it a shot. Thanks :)

More info: After I unscrewed the supports (which were tight against the back of the cabinet, I moved them forward and held them in place in the new location with blue painters tape, checked with a level, made adjustments, and then drilled in the first screw. I did drill small pilot holes but I don't think the factory does, and I don't know if it is necessary. Just checked the distance again, and it looks like I moved them forward 4 1/2 inches. Probably just a couple inches and not more than 6 is fine. Took me 45 minutes because I got a bit obsessive about the level and took time sipping coffee in between. Good luck.

kurtmcq

well, we have a M23 and the walls on the shelf box are paper thin. I ended up just glueing them in with a touch of silicone. It working great. Interesting note: were on our first big trip with the Edge and there are 2 European/German motorhomes at the same DC camp site. I have no idea how they got them here but we all have the same windows!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another possible fix might be to apply some velcro to the back edge of the shelf panel and the rear wall of the cabinet. That would prevent them from sliding forward and off the supports.

Yellowreef

I had this problem too in my M18. It's on the list for the warranty fixes being addressed at the dealer as I type this. I was planning on fixing it myself but figured I would just add it to the list. Maybe someone at the factory will read this and realize its a widespread problem. The first time I took the trailer out we packed all three shelves only to find everything had fallen to the bottom of the unit along with the shelves when we got to the campground. Not cool.

We have a 2010 M22 that had the same problem. Heartland fixed under warranty. The service company installed shims behind each of 3 supports on one side. Fix worked great.