New trailer has a leak before I have signed the papers

kpm2k

Hey All,

Just wanted a little advise from some fellow RV owners. We put a down payment on a 2011 Heartland RV 40 foot Park Model (Trail Runner) 391 DBSS.

Upon inspecting it (2nd time) we discovered that it was leaking from the sky light in the shower but it was actually leaking onto the floor. We probably wouldnt have even known this if it didn't rain.

I'm just a little skeptical about actually buying the trailer now, however, it is a great price and the space/size is great.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Last time I bought a new house the skylight leaked. There were also a bunch of other "punch-list" items for the builder to take care of. I didn't back out of the deal. I had it fixed.

TedS

Make it right. Complete re-seal, not just a patch. Make it like factory-new was supposed to be. Water test.
If you are not satisfied, no deal. This would make the rest of the trailer suspect, in your eyes.

kpm2k

Thanks all! Appreciate the feedback.

TedS: This is exactly what I was thinking, I'm a little suspect with the whole trailer now.

Well, when we went Saturday to sign the papers, the power was out so I wasn't able to sin the papers. So then we went for another look of the trailer and found quite a few things wrong with it, other than the leak in the skylight: (we did tell them the issues though) Just got me wondering about the quality of the trailer.

- Fridge door has a dent in it and scratches (they are going to replace the door)
- some of the trim is falling off in the front and back rooms
- there is a bump in the bow floor (we're worried it'll crack over time)
- the spots where they used puddy over the nails, none of the excess puddy was wiped off (5-6 places at least)

tmcran

I would walk. Lots of other RVs around. If ya ain't happy now where will ya be a year from now. Might have been unit built on Monday or Friday.:confused:

kb0zke

I'd agree with flameon. That particular unit is likely going to have problems for years unless it is taken back to the factory. If you really like the layout, perhaps you can search other dealers for the same floorplan.

On the other hand, if the price is really great, perhaps you could afford a trip to the factory to have it gone over. A check with some other dealers might help you get a better idea of whether the price on this unit is too low. Remember that if the price of something is too low in comparison to the same or similar items there is usually a very good reason.

kpm2k

Turns out the leak was actually a crack in the skylight, the plastic part, not the seal at all. Makes me feel quite a bit better about this unit.

IMGP0897.jpg