What is the counter top made of?

ankie3467

I have a 2011 Elkridge 27rl. What is the counter top made of? I dont have to worry about putting the first and second scratches in!! :( I had a basket I slid across the corner. SCRATCHED THE **** out of it! Any thing I can use to buff the scratches out?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on your first scratch. I think that most everyone has had a scratch to take care of. I do know that you can get them out.
HERE is a link the the Hanex web site that has some care and feeding information.

Peace
Dave

ankie3467

Thanks for the info, I will have to look at grocery store next time and see if they have the "white" scotchbrite pad, I always buy the green ones. I knew I was posting to the right place. This forum is awesome!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the scratch is really deep you may be able to use successively finer wet sand paper, then buff with rubbing compound and finish with polishing compound.
I use rubbing compound and polishing compound.

Peace
Dave

ankie3467

I have lots of wet sandpaper--from 320 clear up to 1500 grit, but not the rubbing compound or polishing compound. Reading thru their site, said for deep scratches to use the green pad. but now I am not afraid to try something. I was afraid I would sand off a finish, and it doesnt sound like their is a finish of any kind.

Ankie3467

Before trying to remove the scratches, first find out from Heartland if it can be done. With my 2011 Grand Canyon it says the it is a True Solid Surface so I think I can do it with mine. If you can, here is how I would do it. I would follow the same process as if I was finishing a table top I just finished. For the counter top, sand using no less that #600 to start (depending on how deep the scratches are), then move up to #1200 to 1500. Use water at all times. Wrap the sandpaper around a wood block to keep a flat surface, go in one direction only, make as long a stroke as you can overlap as you go. Then, I would use Pumice (first) then Rottenstone to level and polish. What is Pumice and Rottenstone, they are fine cutting dust used in woodworking to level a table top that was just finished. You can purchase this at woodworking supply stores like Lee Valley. You can use either water to kerosene as the lubricant for the Pumice and Rottenstone. I use kerosene as it is a better lubricant. If the countertop is the same size as in my Grand Canyon, I think it should take about 4 hours depending on how deep the scratches are.

Hope this helps,

Pat & Leona Skanes
Member Number: 1833
Region: Canada
Chapter: Ontario

2011 Landmark
Grand Canyon
2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, Duramax with Allison Trans., 4X4,

Birchwood

Its easy to remove the sratches and what not but bringing back the beautiful shine.Has anyone ever brought back the shine without taking it to a professional kitchen center.
I don't want to use kerosene.

Has anyone been successful it bringing back the shine?????Please anyone??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I use rubbing compound followed by polishing compound. Then a good wax job. It looks good.
If you want your counter top to look really good, it takes some effort on a regular basis. I try to keep after it but sometimes I get lazy.

Peace
Dave

ankie3467

I use rubbing compound followed by polishing compound. Then a good wax job. It looks good.
If you want your counter top to look really good, it takes some effort on a regular basis. I try to keep after it but sometimes I get lazy.

dave-What brand of wax do you use? If I use a the white scrubby and wax....... It might work. The scratches are not deep and I would say about a 4x6 inch area.

ankie3467

Before trying to remove the scratches, first find out from Heartland if it can be done. With my 2011 Grand Canyon it says the it is a True Solid Surface so I think I can do it with mine. If you can, here is how I would do it. I would follow the same process as if I was finishing a table top I just finished. For the counter top, sand using no less that #600 to start (depending on how deep the scratches are), then move up to #1200 to 1500. Use water at all times. Wrap the sandpaper around a wood block to keep a flat surface, go in one direction only, make as long a stroke as you can overlap as you go. Then, I would use Pumice (first) then Rottenstone to level and polish. What is Pumice and Rottenstone, they are fine cutting dust used in woodworking to level a table top that was just finished. You can purchase this at woodworking supply stores like Lee Valley. You can use either water to kerosene as the lubricant for the Pumice and Rottenstone. I use kerosene as it is a better lubricant. If the countertop is the same size as in my Grand Canyon, I think it should take about 4 hours depending on how deep the scratches are.

Scratches are not deep, I am really thinking the white scrubby will do, but I guess until I get out and try I dont know. And now we have 5 inches of wet heavy snow, so not in to big of a hurry! :( Thank you for your tip

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have Corian , we use the cleaner and polish from LCI. It can be found at Lowe's in the kitchen cabinets area , DW really likes there products. Here is a link to company has info and tips.......http://www.stonecare.com/

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

dave-What brand of wax do you use? If I use a the white scrubby and wax....... It might work. The scratches are not deep and I would say about a 4x6 inch area.
I use a product called Gelcoat. Works pretty good.

Peace
Dave

Crumgater

I just want to sympathize with you, ankie - we had just brought our new rig home and were packing up for our first outing when I slid a heavy cardboard box full of supplies across the counter and scratched it all to dickens... we've never had solid surface countertops before, and I was MAD and upset. I've since calmed down, after learning this was as expected (?!?!!) and the scratches can be buffed out... but now I know I do NOT want this type of countertop in my home kitchen. It's not very user friendly.

We actually use our kitchen, and somehow spending 4 hours to buff it to a shine, just to mess it all up again in 10 minutes reminds me of the definition of insanity...

Would using a wax or Gelcoat stop the creation of the little scuff marks in the first place? That I'd be willing to do (although, then I'd question why it wasn't done at the factory in the first place).

ankie3467

Crumgater--That is what I was doing too, loading for the first trip out! Why I didnt do it when I was transfering all the stuff from old camper to new, I dont know. Yes, it does seem to scratch by just looking at it. Going to have to learn to keep a bath towel handy I guess to drape off counter just to protect from scratches. i have got to figure something out, cant spend all the free time working in the camper when i can be enjoying it!!