America the Beautiful Passes

jpmorgan37

As of January 1, 2007, the Golden Age and Golden Access Passes were no longer being issued. In their place was a new program called America the Beautiful. These passes are available to anyone over the age of 62 for a one time fee of $10.00 or anyone who is permanently disabled for free. They are available at all National Parks, BLM, U S Forest Service and Bureau of Reclamation Parks. They are not available at Corps of Engineers Campgrounds but are honored at the Corp parks. These passes entitle the holder to a 50% discount for services (camping, boat launch, day use parks, entrance fees, dump station, etc) at these facilities. If you have a Golden Age or Golden Access pass, they are still being honored but can only be exchanged for an America the Beautiful pass. They will not be replaced if lost or become illegible.
John

ChopperBill

Only 6 months away from turning 62 (and drawing some rocking chair money!) that is good info to remember. Thanks JP

jpmorgan37

Dave,
Your Golden Age Passport is still valid. I have been told that some of the National Park are taking the Golden Age Passport and exchanging it (no charge) for the new America the Beautiful card. Places that gave a discount before are still giving the discount with either card. Places that didn't charge are still not charging, as far as I know. I hope this answers your questions, and if not, PM me and I'll try to explain or call me and we can discuss it over the phone.
John

shovelguy

Golden age/Passport America

Earlier this this year, while down at Zion National Park, I was told that the plastic Golden Age Cards were still good and would not be replaced with the new Passport America Card. The paper (and I didn't even know they had ever issued paper Golden Age cards) will be replaced with the new card at no cost to the card holder. And I have used my old card a few times since with no problem.
Dean