If you have an accident or illness while on the road...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I was thinking about a couple of concerns while we and others are traveling.

If I am staying at a campground, say in Colorado, and we are involved in an accident when traveling some place to eat dinner, take in a show, or whatever. DW and I are injured enough that we can't speak or if when we are away from the campground, alone and have a heart attack or accident.

How do you let the authorities know where you are staying. You have a pet in the trailer and you are unconscious. How do you get help for your pet. How do they know where your spouse might be. The only thing we have is our drivers license. Our cell phone has ICE wife, Ice Daughter or Ice Husband, but where is the trailer.

What do you guys go?

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We both carry a card that lists next of kin and location of our Health Care Power of attorney. I guess depending on how bad our illness or injury, the rig can wait for us or our son would come and get it. We also that Good Sam EAplus insurance which is supposed to help with family notifications etc.

Jimmy

Keep your recent campground receipt that shows date and location in the front of your vehicle with your registration. The police will look for this information.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Good question. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

We could wear something like an ID necklace or bracelet to tell people we are on a trip and have animals in our rig, but that doesn't give the current location. I know of a company that makes that kind of ID since Mark has one he wears while out biking on long rides.

You could make sure your ICE contacts have your current location data, but that can be a pain to keep up on if you are moving almost daily. Receipts would help unless you away from it when the emergency happens.

Kristy

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We both carry a card that lists next of kin and location of our Health Care Power of attorney. I guess depending on how bad our illness or injury, the rig can wait for us or our son would come and get it. We also that Good Sam EAplus insurance which is supposed to help with family notifications etc.

I agree with you Ray, but how do you tell someone that you are have an RV in a campground and where it is. My daughter doesn't know where we are at all times. Right now we are in Canyon Creek TX staying at a friends time share while the trailer is at ExploreUSA in Seguin TX. If we were going on a sight seeing day trip know one would no where we are, where the trailer is and if we left Trevor, where he is.

It would be very difficult changing the information of our location so the emergency personnel would know what to do.

I liked the idea of keeping our campground reciept in our billfold or pocket. But how would I tell them we have a pet in our trailer. Maybe write on it with a pen.

Thanks for the response. I am intrested in what others are doing or thinking about.

BC

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with you Ray, but how do you tell someone that you are have an RV in a campground and where it is. My daughter doesn't know where we are at all times. Right now we are in Canyon Creek TX staying at a friends time share while the trailer is at ExploreUSA in Seguin TX. If we were going on a sight seeing day trip know one would no where we are, where the trailer is and if we left Trevor, where he is.

It would be very difficult changing the information of our location so the emergency personnel would know what to do.

I liked the idea of keeping our campground reciept in our billfold or pocket. But how would I tell them we have a pet in our trailer. Maybe write on it with a pen.

Thanks for the response. I am interested in what others are doing or thinking about.

BC
First, let me say I'm glad to hear you're not in Melissa. I heard there was a heck of a storm there yesterday.

Both of our kids know our whereabouts. Where we are staying and when we are moving. That said, if we're set up somewhere and we have a situation away from the rig, that card will allow contact to the kids and they should be able to tell the authorities everything they need to know. Other than that, a campground receipt or dash pass would be the only thing I can think of.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maybe a blog would work with a ID bracelet saying you have live a RV with pets and to see Blog for contact info and location data. It might work.

Also what is ICE as in "ICE wife"

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you have OnStar in your vehicle, you can also store emergency contact info with them.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Maybe a blog would work with a ID bracelet saying you have live a RV with pets and to see Blog for contact info and location data. It might work.

Also what is ICE as in "ICE wife"

Then again, there are a few ICE wives out there (and ICE husbands too!).:rolleyes:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When we leave on a trip we always give our itinerary to our family members. If we deviate we will update them. We also are in constant contact via email and text messaging. One of them should always know our location. Many times they will know where we are moment by moment. Unless you are trying to hide there is no reason to keep your family 'in the dark' as to your whereabouts. We almost always have our RV park site map in the TV with us as most site maps have local area maps on them. The site map is a great indication of where you are staying. Another way you could keep people aware is by keeping a log on your cell phone or a log book in your vehicle.

DMitch

We do about the same as jmgratz. Maybe a bit off the subject but here is something that I found a couple years ago and now take advantage of. Both my wife and I have some health issues and this gives us some additional independence as well as some peace of mind when we are away from home. They have some really great benefits. http://www.skymed.com/

porthole

Retired
ICE - store your main contact's (spouse?) number in your phone with ICE as the name. Emergency personnel will look for this contact name, as well as the expected names (wife, mom etc).

When out on the bike alone I use a Sharpy and my business card, write down the date, campground, site # and contact info. That stays with my license.
Haven't gave it much thought yet but will probably do the same this year when we are away from camp together, but add that we have pets in the trailer.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Great information guys. Thanks alot. All I need to do is get a cell for the dog and have ICE Dog, so they know where he is... :cool:

I like the idea of leaving the campground map on the dash. Usually they mark where your site is and that would help the emergency folks to find your last location.

BTW, ICE is what a lot of the emergency providers use to find family or someone important as well as a medical condition. It has been around for quite some time.

Mac the Fire Guy has some items that you place on your seat belt that has ICE information on it. Scroll down to about the bottom. I have been thinking about getting some of them.

BC

porthole

Retired
Bob, at an accident something on the seat belt may very well be missed. I 'm not recommending you don't get the seat thingy, just don't make that you only info source.

Bracelets, neck chains and wallets with your ICE info with your license is where PD, FD and EMS look for info. Cell phone ICE info is also used all the time.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
You know, having an ICE number reserved under the name "dogs" isn't a bad idea. You don't have to put a number in the number slot. You could say something like "look in my vehicle for trailer location and rescue my dogs." there is probably a limit to the number of characters you can put in one slot, but it could be shortened and spread over two slots. EMTs would know how to check the options to get the rest of the message.
Kristy

WilmanJim

We have been Camp Hosts for the past 6 winters here in Santee CA and when we would greet new arrivals we would ask the if they were going to be gone site seeing we would appreciate it if they would give us a Emergency Contact number in case we had to get a hold of someone. They don't have too but we always give them our card with our phone number in case they need to contact us. Fortunately in the 6 years we have only had to use it once.
We do the same when we travel. We give a card on check-in with just our names and phone number. The phone number we give is to the wifes phone and not our everyday phone number for family and friends.
We have Emergency contact info on the back side of our Drivers License too. We also keep our current park information on the front seat of our truck.
So far while traveling this Beautiful country for the past 8+ years and over 135,000 miles we have never had to use it and hope we and everyone else who chooses this lifestyle never has to either.
Safe Travels to All and Happy RV'n.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Then again, there are a few ICE wives out there (and ICE husbands too!).:rolleyes:

oooh, Gus....you gonna pay for that comment! I can see it coming now...you don't know where...you don't know when...but somebody's gonna get you for that one!!:):)