Ramp Failure!

Same thing happened to my 3912, take a look at attached pics and its understandable. Theres not much for structure. 1/4 plywood and styrofoam. I think the main cause is when the door is lowered beyond a certain point, ie: uneven ground and the thin plywood inner layer and fiberglass outer skin can't handle the stress. The thin aluminun extrusion around the edge offers little support. I removed the bottom 6" and replaced with treated plywood and a piece of 1/8" tread plate on the inside, as a backer to the hinges. So far so good, but am a little carefull as to how far down I allow the ramp to go.

Attachments

• 100_2427.jpg
    100_2427.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 815
  • 100_2418.jpg
    100_2418.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 934
  • 100_2419.jpg
    100_2419.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 754
  • 100_2422.jpg
    100_2422.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 781

redwing

Mroldstyle thats a great looking repair! Do you think water could have been the cause? That's something I haven't checked on our '09 3912 yet this spring. How did you relieve the pressure on the springs to remove the door?

SilverRhino

I'm really surprised looking at the structure of the ramps when considering the main function of these units. Of course weight is an issue, but, in my opinion, it sure wouldn't hurt to add a few more pounds of structure.

Mroldstyle thats a great looking repair! Do you think water could have been the cause? That's something I haven't checked on our '09 3912 yet this spring. How did you relieve the pressure on the springs to remove the door?

There was some sign of water penetration, but I believe the main flaw is the hinges will only open to about 30 to 40 degrees (estimate) before the springs stop their movement, but theres nothing stopping that big heavy door and something has to give. Some type of stop on the cable would seem appropriate. Along with a little stronger framework. So if your sitting on ground that slopes away in the back the door wont reach the ground without stressing the hinge area of the door. There is no tension on the hinge springs when the door is shut, but remember the door is heavy so have some help, or some type of lift available when you take it off.

PUG

Pug
'good thoughts and fixes guys. I have an 09 model 3950 and haven't noticed the issue of buckling but you can bet I am going to look at the hinge spring mechanism to see if it has a angle limit on it. If it does like you say, then that really sucks and makes loading and unloading bikes and four wheelers harder. I think my next trl will be a Montana when I grow up and quit having toys.

71stang99

So is it possible to put hooks and cables to make the ramp only go down so far? I guess in a way like the patio deck options that are offered on the units as an option.

Riverman

Here ya go.

Ask the "Cyclone Mod King" --- he delivers every time!
After seeing the pictures of the construction material for these ramps, I would be a little nervous with a couple large lads standing out on the edge with the ramp in patio mode!
Duane I see you have 2 little doors on the right rear of your Cyclone - whats behind door #2?
Ours only has 1 for the electric rear stabilizers
BTW..nice sewer hose storage unit - copied that idea from ya also

porthole

Retired
After seeing the pictures of the construction material for these ramps, I would be a little nervous with a couple large lads standing out on the edge with the ramp in patio mode!

Before drilling the holes I put a 4x4 on some jack stands and moved it around until I “picked” this location. Not very scientific but it does the job.

I am also not worried about a “couple of large lads”. Doubt it will be used for anyone other then us and the pups.

I saw on one of the news spots covering an RV show a pair of Cyclones that had a “fenced in” patio deck. Didn’t see how they were supporting the door though.

I have not seen that hinge issue mentioned in the other thread and have not seen any cause of concern on ours. But I have noticed that when the ramp is down and the sun beats down on it I can see the seam under the no skid.

whats behind door #2?

A fabulous 2 week trip for two to the great Alaskan wilderness! Your prize includes all expenses for one week of cruise ship travel and ………………………………..
Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I see you have 2 little doors on the right rear of your Cyclone - whats behind door #2?
Ours only has 1 for the electric rear stabilizers

The second is the electric ramp lift. I got that for Deb. I actually use it about half the time. For going in and out of the trailer it is a little slow. But is saves from getting beat in the head.

carbuthn

My 2009 cyclone is doing the same thing, flexing on the right side at the hinges. The fiberglass is cracking. The unit is kept under a metal shed, So it should not have gotten wet (except when camping) and everything seems to be sealed. I agree that Heartland should at least help get this type of problem fix.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This thread has been up for some time now. So let me get this straight. Lippert makes the door...correct? Then why is it HL fault that the door is faultly. Maybe this thread should be "Lippert" makes crappy stuff. HL buys this stuff like you would go to Lowes or HD. Yes they will take it back and replace it but Should I blame Lowes and HD, or the manufacturer of the product.

In all the threads bashing HL, someone else made the stuff that is being bashed. HL builds the fiberglass box that all the other things are in or on. If your A/C, fridge, suspension, or tires fail. Call the people that made them and give them the "business".

jpdoggett

This thread has been up for some time now. So let me get this straight. Lippert makes the door...correct? Then why is it HL fault that the door is faultly. Maybe this thread should be "Lippert" makes crappy stuff. HL buys this stuff like you would go to Lowes or HD. Yes they will take it back and replace it but Should I blame Lowes and HD, or the manufacturer of the product.

In all the threads bashing HL, someone else made the stuff that is being bashed. HL builds the fiberglass box that all the other things are in or on. If your A/C, fridge, suspension, or tires fail. Call the people that made them and give them the "business".
You are right but why does HL keep buying the same crap from the same place when they know it's bad? I think that is what upsets a lot of people. You pay $70,000 to $90,000 for a RV and you get junk that is bad but the Manufacture just keeps buying it. It is just not HL the rest of them do the same thing cause all they care about is the money

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, you are correct. BUT, besides Dometic and a few others...who makes parts for RV's?? It's hard to find any good replacement RV stuff a big box store that will fit. We are held captive by the companies that make RV stuff. That being said...then so are the RV manufacturers. I bet most of the stuff is made in China now...so go figure on the quality being producted.

Sandpirate69

I noticed this issue is with the Cyclone. The Road Warrior is also built on the same platform. Has any Road Warrior owners seen this issue with theirs? I'm going to check my ramp door. I usually load my Polaris Ranger in my RW305. I put wood pieces under the rubber stoppers on the top to keep the ramp door level. I try to keep the weight distributed evenly, i have seen some doors like that, but because the owner had the ramp down on un-even ground (Hunt Camp Member). But I agree these doors should be built with the type of use intended.