Mattress quality

Schultz14

We just bought a brand new Sundance. I am surprised that it has such an inferior mattress in the bedroom. I can push down on the corner with my hand and it goes to the bottom of the mattress. So far we love everything else about it. Just annoyed that we will have to buy a new mattress.

RuralPastor

I know what you mean. I wonder if, because of so many different sleeping preferences, they just throw something in there to make it look like a bed. The way I look at it is, it didn't cost them much to give me a cheap one, so it probably didn't cost me much either. Anyway, we bought a new one right away (Paramount--innerspring bed in a box) and love it. It's comparable to our sleep number in the house. If I wanted a nasty night sleep, I'd have kept my tent. Just go get a new one and enjoy that new RV!

Geodude

Maybe see about changing it to the "pillowtop" option via your dealer. We just picked our trailer up and we ordered the pillowtop option. The bed is very comfortable.

floridarandy

We just bought a brand new Sundance. I am surprised that it has such an inferior mattress in the bedroom. I can push down on the corner with my hand and it goes to the bottom of the mattress. So far we love everything else about it. Just annoyed that we will have to buy a new mattress.

We love our Sundance! There are 2 things, however, that we simply felt we had to "personalize" to make this "home on wheels" just as comfortable as our "stick home". Here's what we did and never regretted:

1. Mattress - http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...V-Component-Sleep-System/4047669/product.html. Exact size and amazingly $325.

2. Chairs - https://chairlandfurniture.com/benchmaster-boat-rv-chair/29/Model-7041-BenchMaster-Recliner/ - Note: DW ordered the Model 7281 as she's 5'5" and 125 and I ordered the Model 7041 as I'm 6'3" 235#. What's amazing is that the 7041 is narrower overall but bigger through the hips. Both are equally comfortable and look great. Note, in our case these two models had different color wood bases which bothered us until we put em in and started using them....now we don't notice, nor do others until we point it out. BOTH CHAIRS ARE NARROWER THAN STOCK CHAIRS AS IT RELATES TO CLEARANCE WHEN THE SLIDES ARE CLOSED!

Yes, I know, you've spent a lot of money on your new rig and now you are faced with investing more...haha...I wish I could say I stopped after these two, but they are, by far, the things that have made our days camping COMFORTABLE!

Both can be ordered online with free shipping.

Randy

OH....and donated mattress and chairs to Goodwill where someone with less might benefit!

Last edited:

jnbhobe

We went to wally world and bought a 4in memory foam topper. Changes it into a real comfortable matress.

My wife and I bought a new Cyclone recently and after a week sleeping on the mattress,we decided to upgrade. We went to a local mattress mfg where we had our home mattress made and told the owner what we wanted. We wanted quality and light weight which don't necessarily go hand in hand. He did a very good job with the mix of quality and weight and now we sleep in the Cyclone almost as well as we sleep at home.

JonV

I really doubt if any RV manufacturer put's top quality mattresses in their units. Not just because of cost or weight concerns but also because peoples preferences vary so widely. We replaced the one in our previous unit shortly after buying it and donated the original to a charitable organisation that made sure someone it went to someone that needed it. When we bought our Big Country the mattress follow us. (it's only 1 yr old now)

Last edited:

Dave49

As others have done, just went out and ordered a new custom made mattress. Inner spring, very comfortable. Will make you very aware that if you have the so called King size to measure it and make sure it will fit. I been 3 months all the way from the deep southern states to now MI. before I found someone to actually build a 70"x80" mattress. Most factories don't want to shut down there line to build a custom mattress. I finally found a place that is now making me one. 4 to 6 weeks down the road we will be getting our new mattress. Looking so forward to it. Living in this trailer fulltime and really can't complain, the mattress has been ok, till lately.

What I think needs to be done is that it becomes an option on your trailer when you buy to upgrade a mattress. I am sure that HL can make a deal with there factories they use as makers of matresss's.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

ihsolutions

The mattress in our Big Horn is quite comfortable, but after one year it's already starting to sag a bit in the middle on my side (stomach area). I'm a stomach sleeper so this is no good for me. At home I bought a custom foam mattress, 100% Talalay latex, and sleep great. The nice part is you can have it cut to any size, it's just foam. Not cheap by any means, but I'll be doing the same for the BH probably before the summer is over.

rvn4fun

We have had 5 fifth wheels now and our Big Country is the only one we had to replace the mattress in. Ours developed deep depressions in it after about 8 months of use, tried to get dealer to warranty it but quit after dealer said they would just replace it with the same junk. Finally bit the bullet and had a mattress custom built. Now we don't wake up with a backache anymore.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just replaced ours with this one. The 8" RV memory foam. The factory mattress was too mushy for my back.
http://www.plushbeds.com/deluxe-foam...ess-p-101.html
This bed was only around $700 with AAA discount, shipped to our park site.

We got our BH with the " foam topper" mattress. It just wasn't cutting it, with my iffy back.
This came exactly 72x80 and fits our RV king platform perfectly. I don't wake up with a backache anymore. Similar to the Tempurpedic I had at home.

Last edited: