Ramp--Changing flat tire ??

Bernie55

I have a trailer aid ( it's a ramp used to drive your good tire up on, to lift your flat tire off the ground ). The one axle would have the weight of half the trailer for about 5 min. or so.. Good idea ??? I have never had to use it.. ( Knock Knock ) Thanks

navyAZ1

I have the same ramp and I too have never had to use it with the 5th wheel, however I have used it with our horse trailer when we still had the farm and it worked great. We now have GS road service and I just let the other guy do the work for me.

Ron

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I bought "trailer aid" double throw down ramp. You know, the one that has the extra height. Well I found out it wont work on concrete or with Mor/Ryde suspension. It wont lift the Horn high enough....all 4 tires still touching the ground. When trying to pull the trailer onto it....it just slid across the concrete, smashed all the bottom bolts and caved in the sides of it on the bottom. So thats my take on them and I'm out $65.00.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I bought "trailer aid" double throw down ramp. You know, the one that has the extra height. Well I found out it wont work on concrete or with Mor/Ryde suspension. It wont lift the Horn high enough....all 4 tires still touching the ground. When trying to pull the trailer onto it....it just slid across the concrete, smashed all the bottom bolts and caved in the sides of it on the bottom. So thats my take on them and I'm out $65.00.

Bob, I really wish you wouldnt be so shy when you make posts about products...you need to open up a little...:D

porthole

Retired
I have used three 2x8's stacked in a pyramid. 8", 16" and 24".

Even if it is not enough to lift the wheel off the ground it will take a lot of weight off so jacking is not as much of a chore.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well Larry, I just calls them as I see's them. Getting to old to be shy. Got to spread the word about useless stuff while Im still breathing. Got to edjimcate the young ones ya know. That way they don't hav-ta step in all the horsey poop I did.

Hows this for shy. After seeing a $65.00 broken yellow pile of plastic under the tires of the HORN. My 1st though was to find there office, tie a brick to the thing and throw it through the front window. BUT, alas, I didn't.....seemed like too much work. BTW, the statement on the box say........"it will lift every coach high enough to change a tire". REALLY....not mine it won't. Maybe HL built mine wrong. NOT

rebootsemi

Well Larry, I just calls them as I see's them. Getting to old to be shy. Got to spread the word about useless stuff while Im still breathing. Got to edjimcate the young ones ya know. That way they don't hav-ta step in all the horsey poop I did.

Hows this for shy. After seeing a $65.00 broken yellow pile of plastic under the tires of the HORN. My 1st though was to find there office, tie a brick to the thing and throw it through the front window. BUT, alas, I didn't.....seemed like too much work. BTW, the statement on the box say........"it will lift every coach high enough to change a tire". REALLY....not mine it won't. Maybe HL built mine wrong. NOT

I carry a tried and true yellow 14 ton hydraulic jack to take care of any needed tire lifting issues. Saw a guy try to drive up on one of those plastic crap ramps, about half way up the thing poped out and put a dent in the side of a parked car. My jack works every, I've carried it in the truck since new as the jack they give you in one of these trucks is another piece of junk.

Bernie55

My worry was that all the weight was on ONE axle for a short period of time. I guess to play it safe i will get a 4 ton jack..... Anybody want to buy a ramp ??? (cheap) Thanks

tmcran

I have used the E_ Z Lift Jack for a number of years (same type as you have ). Works great on 5er,cattle trailer and. and heavy flat bed. No messing with jacks, wood blocks and etc. You'll like it.

rvn4fun

Glad I learned this. I was going to buy one of those yellow plastic tire changing aides, after reading this I will pass. Just have to take a chance jacking up on that high frame.

Gaffer

Just get an axel saddle. Same as on the top of your axel now. I got one at the local RV dealer for about $4.50. Fits the axel perfectly and saves all that cribbing to get up to the frame. The u-bolts keep it from moving. Attached photo is from a previous post.

Attachments

• axel saddle.jpg
    axel saddle.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 157

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
What about using on of the jacks like they use in shops? Only smaller. How much weight should it be rated at?

rvn4fun

I was told that you are not to use the axel for jacking purposes............ I have on other trailers.

lwmcguir

I use the saddle and drive on jack. Works fine. The standard axles are very light weight and they are worried about someone putting the head of the jack right on the tube, then bending it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't know about the yellow ramps, but the one I got is black and the box rates it to support 15,000 pounds. The internal webbing construction does not look like it will allow much, if any, side bulging. Once I get the Ground Control jack install finished, I probably won't need it. But, unless I start tripping over it, it'll ride in the truck bed strapped to my tool box. And I've got a 12-ton bottle jack, too. Nothing like redundant backup systems.

HappyKayakers

I was told that you are not to use the axel for jacking purposes............ I have on other trailers.

When I first joined this forum, I'm fairly certain that the axle manufacturers recommended jacking on the frame and the frame manufacturer recommended jacking on the axles. The first flat I had, I called out Good Sam ERS and the guy jacked on the axle. I've since changed out the other 3 tires, always jacking on the axle right under the shackle without an axle saddle. Time off the ground was always kept to a minimum. I recently thought I had an axle problem due to the way the new tires looked. Went to an RV dealer and all axle measurements were good. So, I guess I didn't do any damage with my bottle jack.

rebootsemi

I just use a piece of 3/4" steel flat bar across the bottom of the u-bolts a jack her up. I really think if the axle tube was that thin the u-bolts would tweak the tube. I jacked mine once and did not make a mark in the axle.

lwmcguir

The only way to know if your wheels are aligned properly is to have the trailer put on an alignment machine that can check the camber and caster. The measurements alone will tell you if you have a hanger, spring or shackle issue. If your tires are wearing well then you are good.