Screen Door Opener without sliding.

larneal

Hey folks I have seen at some of the shows a new opener for the screen door. This thing is inserted int o the sliding panel and all you do is push down from the inside and a lever contacts the latch on the outside. I saw this on some new Heartland units. I called Heartland Service Dept. but they know nothing about it. Has anyone else seen this and if so, do you know where I can get one.

Thanks

Larry & Gail Neal
2009 3385RL BH
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dually with Duramax/Allison

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Gary (Boatdoc) on the forum made a great opener with a bicycle spoke. I think it might be on the forum? If not I can post a pic. Just takes a couple minutes with a tiny drill bit to install.
We carry extra spokes to put them on for folks.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
My new Key Largo came with what I believe you are speaking about. It is a round handle with a spring in it that slides down and catches the screen door level. It works nicely to open the door without opening the slide window.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Can't remember who it was now (maybe TxBobCat) who made some for us at a Houston Rally a couple of years ago from a coat hanger and an electrical screw on coupler. Works great.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey Jim...it was Ray Latourneau...he came up with the idea...we've got one he made us, works great!

DougS

Doug S
Larry,

I think the door opener you are looking for is Heartland "Part number is 77979 Plexiglass Slider 12 x 9 3/4 for Screen Door your cost $23.75." I installed mine about a month ago. The originial part sent was just a slider piece, but after a phone call the right part was sent. The correct slider had two small nubs that had to be shaved off to fit. Works great. I have a 2011 unit, looks like you have a 2009, not sure if your screen door is like on the new units. I emailed a picture to Heartland to make sure we were talking about the right opener. I believe the screen door is made by Lippert, so you might also be able to get the part from them, they did not answer my request for part.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Heartland Screen Door Opener.jpg
    Heartland Screen Door Opener.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 149

rick_debbie_gallant

Larry,

I think the door opener you are looking for is Heartland "Part number is 77979 Plexiglass Slider 12 x 9 3/4 for Screen Door your cost $23.75." I installed mine about a month ago. The originial part sent was just a slider piece, but after a phone call the right part was sent. The correct slider had two small nubs that had to be shaved off to fit. Works great. I have a 2011 unit, looks like you have a 2009, not sure if your screen door is like on the new units. I emailed a picture to Heartland to make sure we were talking about the right opener. I believe the screen door is made by Lippert, so you might also be able to get the part from them, they did not answer my request for part.

Hope this helps.

Me gots to have one of those. How hard is it to install? I wonder if they come with a gold nugget insert?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've still got mine courtesy of Ray. It's on the second trailer (changed out the screen doors) and one lock replacement. The latch was switched from the old lock mechanism to the new one.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sorry I didn't read this thread when it started. I'll attach a couple pictures of the free method. All you need is a wire coat hanger or spoke (good idea Duane) and a wire nut. I don't know if this version will work with the newer clear sliding access panel.

Attachments

• Push to Open.JPG
    Push to Open.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Outside open.JPG
    Outside open.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Outside closed.JPG
    Outside closed.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 93

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sorry I didn't read this thread when it started. I'll attach a couple pictures of the free method. All you need is a wire coat hanger or spoke (good idea Duane) and a wire nut. I don't know if this version will work with the newer clear sliding access panel.

The clear sliding panels are completely flat. That will make it difficult to apply this mod. Looks like Heartland should stock up on the newer clear panel design. I have a feeling several of us early 2011 owners will be ordering them.

larneal

Larry,

Hope this helps.

Thanks Doug, that's the one. I appreciate all the replys.

Larry Neal

larneal

Just wanted to bring everyone up to date on this thread. I received the part but it was not the right size. My door is 12" not 9 3/4. I called Heartland back with my vin # and was told that this opener was not available for my unit. However I don't think that is correct because I have seen new Heartland units with the same door size as mine with the new opener. It could be a different door manufacturer. So, bottom line, I'm still looking for that slider with the opener. It's out there. When I find it I will let everyone know.

Larry Neal

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I made my opener out of a piece of brass brazing rod. works great and it was free takes about 15 minutes to make it