Do airbags have any effect on tires?

trvlrerik

I have often wondered if airbags effect tires in any manner. As when the bags are inflated with the trailer attatched, the ride is smoother. I know the roads are still rough so are the tires taking the beating instead of the springs? or are the airbags just more efficient in smoothing out the jolts.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
All I can give you is my opinion. I don't think air bags reduce any effect of the road to the tires. They basically soften the feel to the seat of the pants. In other words, work with the springs & shocks to reduce the feel of the bumps. The other significant thing is they help adjust ride height of the rear suspension. They do not increase the trucks rated capacity.

lwmcguir

We seem to get a little less cupping on the H rated tires with bags. Don't have to rotate quite as often. Haven't noticed that much difference on the 250/350 trucks.

moose53

I don't believe that my air bags have had any effect on the wear of my tires. The funny part, I worried about my Mission tires with 25,000 miles on them and finally changed them out this spring. Now I find out that my 2008 Ford F-250 has been recall to replace my Continental tires. They have 36,000 miles on them and have worn straight and never given a problem. But I sure am pleased to have new tires on everything. Check with your local Ford Dealer, the recall is on 2008 and 09 F-250's with the Continental tires.

hillsonwheels

Harvey,

Does it hurt a lot to sit on a golden horse shoe? :rolleyes: What a stroke of luck on the truck tires! Take care!

Dick

mesteve

All I can give you is my opinion. I don't think air bags reduce any effect of the road to the tires. They basically soften the feel to the seat of the pants. In other words, work with the springs & shocks to reduce the feel of the bumps. The other significant thing is they help adjust ride height of the rear suspension. They do not increase the trucks rated capacity.

I would tend to disagree with Ray, I think the bags will reduce the impact on the tires, but not from the road up, from the trailer down. This is the real force we are trying to control. Basically, they reduce the shock load applied to the axle and in turn the tires by absorbing some of the compression force and significantly reducing the possibility of using the jounce bumper to prevent further downward travel.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I was told by a tire dealer that everytime you hit a bump or hole it 'bruises' the tire. Eventually these bruises will cause premature failure depending on the severity of the bruise. Same with the trailer tire. One of the bruises caused the failure of one of the G614's on the trailer after 3 years of use. I would expect the air bag might help cushion the 'bruising effect' but not totally eliminate it.

lwmcguir

I think air ride makes sense on anything. Sure is nice on our tractor seats and has to be better for the suspension. The air pin sure took a lot of jarring off the Augusta.

mmomega

AnyTimer
air bags are basically there to level out your ride if it's sagging in the rear with too much weight and add a little stability left-right. In my opinion they only "soften" my ride with lots of weight in the back, other wise it still rides like a horse n' buggy on most non-highway roads. I don't see how they would have any effect on tire wear, the weight is still on tires whether it is held up by steel springs or air bags, the tires will still hit a pothole with the same force you just won't feel it as much with the bags because they are "helping" your springs control the weight.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
airbags are lifts that support weight!! Nothing more. They are NOT shocks and are not there to make the ride better...they are the to carry weight! THAT IS ALL THEY DO.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had Air Lift bags on my last truck and they did seem to cushion the ride when the trailer was on. I had to let some of the air out when I took the trailer off because it rode much rougher. I haven't need to level the trailer with the new Dodge, but would consider bags if needed.

mmomega

AnyTimer
The compressor went out on our suv with full airbag suspension and it rode like a horse and buggy. Air in the bags and it rides like, well a Mercedes. Air Bags do have a dampening effect, that's just how it works which is similar to a shock.
The air bags most of us use are usually labeled as helper springs and they are mainly that, a variable rate helper spring but I don't see a problem with purchasing them for one purpose but gaining something else in the process.
They are just glorified springs that you can adjust. Don't necessarily think air is always soft and squishy tho, try getting hit in the head with a over inflated basketball versus a well under inflated one.