DL requirements for towing 5er

timbuktu

I am a resident of TX stationed in CA. After consulting TX DPS, I found out I am illegal towing my 5er. According to TX, with a combined GVWR of truck and trailer over 26,000lbs, I am required to have a Class B CDL. If I were under 26,000lbs, a Class B non-CDL would suffice. But I can't get the license unless I physically go to TX to do the test. Since I am in CA, I contacted the local DMV and according to them, I need a Class A non-CDL for my set up. I hear the CHP doesn't really enforce this license requirement, but I think I'm just going to get a CA Class B CDL and when I roll through TX next year I can simply transfer it over.

While the license requirement may not be enforced, I think it's a good idea just to cover my six just in case I get in an accident. I don't want my insurance to come back to me and say I'm not covered bc I didn't have the proper license.

Anyone looked into upgrading their license also? I find it interesting that I came across this info accidentally and it seems it's not really talked about or recommended by dealers. Heck, I was even pulled over a few months ago by CA CHP and he didn't mention the extra license requirement at all! All in all, just interesting...

timbuktu

I probably posted this in the wrong section. Mods - please move to correct location if you need to. Thanks!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am a resident of TX stationed in CA. After consulting TX DPS, I found out I am illegal towing my 5er. According to TX, with a combined GVWR of truck and trailer over 26,000lbs, I am required to have a Class B CDL. If I were under 26,000lbs, a Class B non-CDL would suffice. But I can't get the license unless I physically go to TX to do the test. Since I am in CA, I contacted the local DMV and according to them, I need a Class A non-CDL for my set up. I hear the CHP doesn't really enforce this license requirement, but I think I'm just going to get a CA Class B CDL and when I roll through TX next year I can simply transfer it over.
While the license requirement may not be enforced, I think it's a good idea just to cover my six just in case I get in an accident. I don't want my insurance to come back to me and say I'm not covered bc I didn't have the proper license.

Anyone looked into upgrading their license also? I find it interesting that I came across this info accidentally and it seems it's not really talked about or recommended by dealers. Heck, I was even pulled over a few months ago by CA CHP and he didn't mention the extra license requirement at all! All in all, just interesting...

I believe you can get a Class A non commercial in Texas that would suffice. BTW a great majority of RVers are not properly licensed.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I did some research on this question and found that in Section 522.004 (4)-a recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use is not required to have a commercial drivers license. The section does not apply.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
DH has a class B, a school once required them to drive a school bus --- I'm not sure if that means we are ok or not, reading that....?

Erika

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Michigan does not require a CDL, or anything other than a regular DL, for pulling a RV for personal use. If that's not accepted in other states, then I'll keep my travel dollars at home.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Same with Wyoming. "Recreational vehicles used solely as a personal conveyance for recreational and leisure time pursuits" are exempt. Does that mean I'm not legal in other states? And if that is the case what about vehicle inspection and emissions certification? We don't have those either.

timbuktu

I've been getting different answers when I talk to different people so I called the local CHP office and they said since I am military (non-CA resident) stationed here, that I am exempt from having to get any extra certification; however, my wife (who is also TX resident) is required to get a CA Class A non-CDL. I still have to call TX DPS again bc I don't think they gave me correct info considering what jayc and jmgratz posted. Thanks y'all for the replies!

jayc

All states will respect the state from which you are licensed. If you are legal in Texas or Wyoming, you are legal in all states.

danemayer

I'm in Texas and looked into this issue last year. The language is confusing and the DPL people are unable to clearly explain what's in the handbooks. However, at the time I looked up the statute and it very clearly, in plain language, exempts RVs driven for personal use.

That said, I got the Class A CDL because California and a few other locations appear to require more than a standard license for larger rigs. The Texas Class A non-commercial requires all the same testing. The main difference is you save about $20 for the multi-year license.

While I was prepping, there was a guy from California who came to Austin to get a TX Class A so he could go home and turn it in for a Calif Class A. Costs a lot more in Calif.

jayc

Dan, California will recognize your Texas dl, so if you're a Texas resident visiting California and are legal in Texas, you are covered in California by reciprocity. Texas also allows a 5% overage in trailer weight before they will down you and make you lighten your trailer before proceeding.