Headed to Maine

ohman_stm

Anyone pulled their camper from MD or points south to Maine? Would like to hear from anyone whose made the haul, and their suggestions for the best route, taking into considerations re-fueling stops, height restrictions, etc..

Thanks!

caissiel

I travel to New Brunswick Canada from Florida every Year.
The way to travel from Maryland to Maine would be on the 95 all the way.
But I usualy use the Washington, Baltimore, New York by pass route from 81 to 84 on to 90 and 495 on to 95 north of Boston. The trafic is way to fast and heavy for a comfortable drive with an RV in tow on 95 around the bypassed cities.
You can drive through Washington and on to 691 and on to 84 and procede to 95 as above.

kiddruger

We pull are covered wagon every year down to Thurmont, MD for one of our Sass events and as Caissiel said get yourself up to 84 in Pa and go by the rest of their directions. This is also the non toll route until ya get to 90 in Ma. Plenty of fuel stops along the way, we stop at the bigger truck stops, if you don't have the book Next Exit get one, that will tell you whats off every exit.

Rrloren

When we go to Me. I prefer the GSP in NJ then Tappen Zee Bridge to 287 then 684 to 84 the Mass Pike to 290 to 495 onto 95 into Me.
Sounds complicated but it's not and other than Hartford you go around the major cities.
Of all the trips we make going from South Jersey to Maine is my least favorite, just a lot of traffic unless your willing to drive it at night.

ohman_stm

Thanks for the replies. I would prefer to avoid cities, and thought the GSP route would be a good option. I once made the mistake of coming through NYC with my TT in tow, don't recall exactly how it happened, but we ended up having to cross the GW bridge...that is definitely one of my least favorite tows.

aatauses

Where are you headed in ME, we lived in that state for over 35 years where I practiced Forest Management. We can give you plenty of ideas about the northern/eastern part of the state, just let me know what specific areas you are interested.
al

ohman_stm

We'll be staying in the Scarborough area. Trip is not until August, and we plan to check out the Lobster Festival. Maybe a trip to Acadia, and that's about all we've researched thus far. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!
Tom

Rrloren

The southern coast area would be high on my list to see. The coast around Kennebunkport , Wells , Oqunquit and York are very nice with lots of good seafood restaurants and the rocky coastline is hard to beat.
The Marginal Way runs from Oqunquit to Perkins Cove , about a mile walking path, should not be missed.
Since your going in August you'll want to make reservations in a campground early.
Along Rt.1 near Kittery are many shopping places where you can easily spend a day. The Kittery Trading post is a neat place to visit.

szewczyk_john

We have loved our trips to Maine. Moosehead Lake is my favorite place to go. We stayed in a state park that was centrally located and explored some of the logging roads. Acadia has stunning beauty but it is too touristy for me. Everyone I know always brags about going out west but we love the New England states. We go to New Hampshire every year and the White Mountain National Forest is a must do as well. Problem is if you try to cram everything into one trip you really do not get to take it all in. I learned this by trying to cram it all in on our earlier trips. Now we go to one area and really enjoy that area.