Black Water Tank

jpdoggett

I have a new 2011 Landmark Augusta and ever since we have owned it the black water tank builds up pressure in the tank, this is when using it when it get about 2/3 full it will plow back into the stool, also when flushing if the tank is closed off it builds up pressure they say not to close off tank when flushing but how do you get the tank full to do a good flushing tha gauge alway says full no matter what:angel:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sounds liek your vent pipe is clogged. You should not have any pressure buid up in any holding tank.

ultrafarmer

Or the vent pipe might of slipped down into the tank a few inches which would cause pressure when the liquid gets that high and the air cant get out.

rebootsemi

I have a new 2011 Landmark Augusta and ever since we have owned it the black water tank builds up pressure in the tank, this is when using it when it get about 2/3 full it will plow back into the stool, also when flushing if the tank is closed off it builds up pressure they say not to close off tank when flushing but how do you get the tank full to do a good flushing tha gauge alway says full no matter what:angel:

You have a vent problem or some body at the factory forgot to install the vent pipe. On our Sundance the vent pipe is glued right into the top of the tank and then run up the inside wall of the bathroom and out the roof. The tank will not drain correctly if it has no vent, it would drain but would be like draining out a upside down liter drink bottle.

Drag it back to the dealer and make sure the tank is full so they will actually see what the problem is.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a new 2011 Landmark Augusta and ever since we have owned it the black water tank builds up pressure in the tank, this is when using it when it get about 2/3 full it will plow back into the stool, also when flushing if the tank is closed off it builds up pressure they say not to close off tank when flushing but how do you get the tank full to do a good flushing the gauge alway says full no matter what:angel:
Jim, help me understand what you mean when you say "close off tank when flushing". All of the replies so far are possible but what you are experiencing may be normal depending on the severity of what you mean by plow back into the stool.
First, your gauge will read 2/3 until the liquid level reaches the full sensor. It will actually read full almost always after a flush because of splashing going on down there. If you are getting a "big bubble" when you flush, that's normal. If you are getting liquid and brown water, you have a problem down there.
If in the past, IF you have kept your black tank valve open when you are hooked up to a sewer, that is the wrong thing to do. This allows the liquids to drain but the solids and paper build up in the tank directly under the pipe from the stool. Eventually, it will block passage of everything.
As said before, other possibilities are a blocked vent pipe or the main drain has come loose and slipped into the tank. You might try one of those sprayer hoses that you can stick down the stool and make sure you don't have that "pile of pucky". If you do, it should break up with that spray tool.

Bobby A

Well mine burps when it starts to get full,no blow back though. I've learned the sounds of a near full holding tank, you have to if yours flushing your tank with the valve closed to get a good flush IMHO. I have NEVER relied on those useless gauges.

hoefler

Another thing to consider, is you monitor showing 2/3 full and you actually are full. Possibly the full indicator is not working properly.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
RAY; I think he means 'BLOW BACK' but then I could be wrong. the p and the b are no where close so it could be 'plow back'
Yeah, I'm just not too sure how severe his plow back or blow back is. That's why I was thinking it might be just burping. Maybe a big burp! And as everyone has said, those level sensors are undependable to say the least.

SmokeyBare

One method of seeing if the roof top black tank vent is working or not is to take a trip on the roof top. Armed with a Phillips screw driver, a pocket knife and a water hose with a shut off valve attached. Using the pocket knife blade (Careful now) pry the caulking off the screw head on the black tank vent, remove the screw and the vent cover. Then use the water hose to flow water down the vent pipe. The weight of the water should dislodge any blockage where the pipe enters the black tank. If the water flows unrestricted into the black tank, the vent pipe is not blocked. If water backs up in the pipe... filling the pipe, the vent is blocked. You can also run a sewer snake down the pipe to see if you feel any blockage.