triple vs dual axles

sdrubrecht

Just curious, I know that 9000 and 10000 pound axles exist, so what's the advantage to the triple axles on the bigger rigs?

rebootsemi

Now this is just a guess: Probably cost? The heavier axle assemblies (axle, springs/hangers, hubs bearings, wheels/tires) probably cost more the a extra lighter axle. Could be to spread out the weight on the trailer frame, so the weight is not just in one small area of the frame. With a very large trailer it gets like a diving board with all of the weight being supported in the middle.

sdrubrecht

Wheels with 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern, in 17.5 inch diameter, tires available up to 6000lbs, lt 235/85 r17.5 load range h

lwmcguir

There is no advantage to triple axles. They are hard to turn tight with and put extreme pressure on the springs and hangers when you do. As noted above the heavier axles cost more than three light weight ones do. We go rid of all the triples many years ago and if heavy twins don't have the capacity then it is duals.

dbhutchins

There is no advantage to triple axles. They are hard to turn tight with and put extreme pressure on the springs and hangers when you do. As noted above the heavier axles cost more than three light weight ones do. We go rid of all the triples many years ago and if heavy twins don't have the capacity then it is duals.
Very interesting response. I would certainly agree. Just out of curiosity: who is "we"?

flameon

If there is "No advantage to triple axle's" then why are they still being made? You think the factory would want to cut costs anywhere they could. Don't you think that might would be a good place to start, then we would only have to worry about 4 "china bomb's" and not 6!

JonV

I've seen a couple brands with tandem duals for the reason you point out. Newmar is one example.

Last edited:

truknutt

Committed Member
I've had both and I'll say that the Cyclone triple 6K rides much better than my previous Rage'N double 5200 setup. There is definitely a learning curve to overcome when backing the triple into a spot. Don't want to mess with a dual setup; that's 8 tires to worry about. The 6 I have now are enough for me!

mill1439

I have pulled both and have a 3210 now and love it i just returned from an 1800 mile pull. My trailer was rock solid. The only modification i have made to my 05 chev 2500 is to add firestone airbags to level the truck and to allow the suspesion an brakes to work as designed. i highly recommend the cyclone triple axles!

Alan Miller
09 3210

Bksvo

Just curious, I know that 9000 and 10000 pound axles exist, so what's the advantage to the triple axles on the bigger rigs?
I would guess there are 2 factors at work - maximizing floor space in the trailer (so no duals) and keeping the weight footprint low to prevent sinking in soft landscapes (lb/sqin). 4 tires supporting the same weight as 6 would sink easily in sand and soft dirt, where a lot of folks like to tow toy haulers.

oscar

4 tires supporting the same weight as 6 would sink easily in sand and soft dirt, where a lot of folks like to tow toy haulers.

Yup, and......

If you blow one, and you slow down and drive on your tippie toes, 2 out of 3 will get you to the next exit. 1 out of 2 is a much less appealing proposition.

Willym

Another theory - Three axles with lower rating will likely allow lower diameter wheels and hence lower trailer floor height. This would make it easier to load toys.