digital thermostat

Bobby A

I have one of those digital t'stats that everyone has changed to, hear in Fl the cooling cycle we keep in the coach is 78 degrees, seems tolerable when its 90 and humid outside. My question is, the coach stays at 78 degrees according to the digital readout on the t'stat however the a/c does not cycle. i would suspect this is normal for 1 a/c unit and for being such a big coach. Just was wondering if everyone else experiances the same thing ?? The a/c comes on in mid morning and stay on all day until evening when it cools down a little. I do have dual pane windows and keep the blinds closed.

Also, I noticed when I push the switch down to cool, sometimes it doesn't make contact with the cool cycle, I have to ever so slightly push the switch up just a little to make contact. This would not be good if your gone all day long and have pets like we do and the a/c doesn't come on. I think I may have a defective unit, I called Hunter and they want me to return it with my receipt and they will send me a new one, however I have misplaced the receipt. Just an FYI for everyone to make sure your switch makes contact in the cooling position.

wobly

Bobby A,
If you have to move the switch to make contact and make it work, then you either have a bad connection or corrosion preventing it from working correctly. The Hunter thermostat is actually a simple device that has a circuit board and plastic switches that engage plastic notches. There are metal contacts under the sliding switches that make the appropriate connections to the circuit board. Of course, I am presuming that you have the Hunter t'stat instead of another brand.

Bobby A

Bobby A,
If you have to move the switch to make contact and make it work, then you either have a bad connection or corrosion preventing it from working correctly. The Hunter thermostat is actually a simple device that has a circuit board and plastic switches that engage plastic notches. There are metal contacts under the sliding switches that make the appropriate connections to the circuit board. Of course, I am presuming that you have the Hunter t'stat instead of another brand.

Yes, I have the Hunter

Rickhansen

Bobby,
Let me assure you that from my 3-year experience of full timing in Florida, that if you are maintaining 78 degrees indoors with one A/C, you are indeed lucky. I suspect that if you are there in another month, you may not. We have two A/C's in our rig and many days from June through August both A/C's would run steadily all day.

Your digital t-stat reads in whole degrees, has about a 2 degree differential between on and off, and is likely located in the path of the air returning to the A/C. Don't worry about the equipment running steadily, it is actually easier on it than cycling. Make sure that you are running with the fan speed on high as much as possible. The fan motor actually has 2 separate fans, the evaporator (indoor) and the condenser (outdoor). Running on low speed during high loads prevents the compressor from cooling itself properly and will cause icing of the evaporator coil.

traveler44

The current problem with ours is that we have to slide the switch to either heat or a/c and we like the heat at 73* and the a/c at about 85* so we are constantly changing the setting back and forth. It would be nice if we had one that we could set for heat and another that we could set for a/c. Or one that would remember what it is set at for the different modes. Tom M.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The current problem with ours is that we have to slide the switch to either heat or a/c and we like the heat at 73* and the a/c at about 85* so we are constantly changing the setting back and forth. It would be nice if we had one that we could set for heat and another that we could set for a/c. Or one that would remember what it is set at for the different modes. Tom M.

I'd guess you could wire in a truly programmable thermostat, but it would run you a bit more than $20. Any HVAC guys out there that can lay out the wiring schematic?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, I installed a Honeywell thermostat and it does just what you would like it to do. Costs a bit more than the Hunter though and wires a little differently.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

Ditto that !!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
The more advanced Honeywell and Hunter tstats all wire in the same. The memory settings are all controlled by the control boards. Drawback is that high end tstats have a high end price.

Bobby A

Bobby,
Let me assure you that from my 3-year experience of full timing in Florida, that if you are maintaining 78 degrees indoors with one A/C, you are indeed lucky. I suspect that if you are there in another month, you may not. We have two A/C's in our rig and many days from June through August both A/C's would run steadily all day.

Your digital t-stat reads in whole degrees, has about a 2 degree differential between on and off, and is likely located in the path of the air returning to the A/C. Don't worry about the equipment running steadily, it is actually easier on it than cycling. Make sure that you are running with the fan speed on high as much as possible. The fan motor actually has 2 separate fans, the evaporator (indoor) and the condenser (outdoor). Running on low speed during high loads prevents the compressor from cooling itself properly and will cause icing of the evaporator coil.

Thanks for that info Rick