Trailer Saver Hitch - More Stress to Pin Box

SilverRhino

I've been looking at the TrailerSaver hitch, wanting to reduce stress on BC and the Ram. Everything I have read in the past year seems to be positive.

This morning I found a thread on the Turbo Diesel Register that had a strange point of view. The thread reads as follows:

Interesting. Being a full time RV'r and work camper I get to talk to a lot of people with trail airs on their 5th wheels. All seem to love them. But recently (few days ago) I as talking to a service guy at the RV place I was at for some repairs and he said: "they seem to help but Lippert will void your frame warrantee if you have one on" - and they even make them ? Humm, I found that interesting. He felt they took some strain off the truck but added it to the pin box. My opinion was, more moving parts equals more things to wear out, but then again I do like having suspension on my truck-and that has moving parts so I guess I am torn on what to think about them. The one thing I can say is that on a 5er every one seems to love them, I have yet to see one on a tag trailer.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

If this is true.....there sure are a lot of people spending some pretty big dollars to add extra stress and possible damage to their RVs. I plan on checking with Lippert on Monday to see what their response is to the claim of the warranty being voided.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
First off Trail Saver is a hitch that goes in the bed of the truck...the post your reference is talking about the Trailair Pinbox...whole different animal.

In addition, he's completely wrong about Lippert voiding the warranty on Trailair...they OWN Trailair and endorse all their products....

SilverRhino

Sorry.....I wasn't clear in the first post. Realize they are totally different.....point was, this fellow seemed to believe that air pin boxes were bad so if that was the case the air hitches would also be bad! Don't believe either one......just wondered if anyone had ever heard anything like this......:confused: :D :confused:

HappyKayakers

I'm having a big problem wrapping my head around the idea that it would add more stress to the pin box. Instead of a direct connection to the hitch, with nothing in between to absorb any of the bouncing and chucking, you have a doughnut and shock absorber to absorb some of the impact midway through the pin box. The statement by the RV tech makes no sense to me. Maybe someone can explain it better.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Have the RV tech try this demo...make a fist and slam it down on a table. Then put an air filled pillow on the table and make a fist and slam it down on the air filled pillow. Which one hurts the hand more and which one puts more shock on the hand, wrist, arm and body? I think the answer is self evident. I just purchased and installed a Hensley TRAILER Saver hitch. It sure has helped the ride of the trailer. The TrailAir king pinbox is a Lippert affiliated company product.

danemayer

But recently (few days ago) I as talking to a service guy at the RV place I was at for some repairs and he said: "they seem to help but Lippert will void your frame warrantee if you have one on"

I might be looking for a different tech.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Many times I have found that techs seem to form opinions because they only see the problems.
Hello, you are a repairman. You fix problems. Most of what you see are problems. You don't see the other 90% of the customers who are happy with the same products.