Do you find these MPG's more dangerous to tow?

marc515

Considering an MPG 181, and would like to know your towing experiences with these newer light weight models. Are they more dangerous to tow especially singe they are so much lighter?

Are they that much easier to tow than larger trailers?

I'm just thinking that they would be more dangerous in windy conditions or when being passsed by a big truck.

Thank you

rebootsemi

Considering an MPG 181, and would like to know your towing experiences with these newer light weight models. Are they more dangerous to tow especially singe they are so much lighter?

Are they that much easier to tow than larger trailers?

I'm just thinking that they would be more dangerous in windy conditions or when being passsed by a big truck.

Thank you

Our Sundance 5th wheel towing weight is around 10K and it pulls like a dream. I do believe the new noses on these really help in the wind and I have been in some pretty good winds going west down the gorge toward Portland, stroll right by the trucks no problem. The only difference in a heavy trailer is it just takes a little more horse power the bigger you get.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't feel they are any more dangerous to tow than a larger heavier trailer as long as the tow vehicle is rated for the weight and properly equipped with the right hitch and brake controller. Also important is the drivers experience level.

pegmikef

I pulled an Edge M21 all over Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona (all areas known for high winds) with an F150 and had no problems at all. The Edge was an ultralight weighing in at around 7k pounds loaded. I did have an eaz-lift 14 k weight distribution hitch and I would certainly recommend some type of wd hitch for towing the lightweight TT's.

kb0zke

We've had our 181 since December, and it is the largest trailer I've ever pulled, so I'm pretty much as green as they come. As you can see from the signature, I'm towing with a Mountaineer, which is rated for ~7000 lbs of trailer. I wanted to stay at about half of that, which is why we have an MPG. I do have an equalizing hitch, and I haven't had any problems towing it yet. Of course, I haven't been over 100 miles from home yet.

We're going to the Rally in Goshen, and plan on leaving here early enough to get near there early, so if there are high winds along the way we can just lay over. The whole purpose is to enjoy the travel, so if conditions are making you nervous just find a place to stay for a day or two. The weather will change. I don't consider myself any sort of expert, and I'm rather cautious my nature, so if I start getting nervous I'll pull over and wait it out.

I pulled my MPG 182 across the bridges in the Florida keys in Decenber with the wind blowing 40 knots out of the North, 90 degrees to the roadway with no problems. I do have weight distributor and load levelers which I highly recommend.
No problems on the interstates with big trucks or anything. Trails as well or better than my 20 foot boat. Tow vehicle Jeep with 5.7L Hemi.