Water heater runs constantly?

We just purchase a Big Country and it seems to be sucking propane. We thought it was because we were running the furnace but today noticed that the water heater does not seem to be shutting off. Any suggestions?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi gramcrackers, and welcome to the forum and Heartland family. While I don't know if I can help you directly a few thoughts come to mind. If the water heater were to run continuously, then I think that you would blow the high pressure relief valve. Is that happening? And, much propane are you going through? Depending on the outside temp and what the thermostat is set at while using the furnace and LP for the water heater, I can go through a thirty pounder in three or four days.
I try to use electric for everything whenever I can.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, how would I know about the valve? Would I hear a noise or something?
It has been pretty cold here and I was running the furnace quite a bit, so that is good news to hear.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think you are probably using the propane because of the furnace. If you are trying to keep the inside temperature around 75 with just the furnace you will use a 30 pound tank in 2-3 days especially if you are running the water heater and refrigerator on propane. You can minimize your propane use by running the fridge and water heater on electric and supplementing the furnace heat with and electric space heater. If the check valve were going off you would see water leaking.

I think you are probably using the propane because of the furnace. If you are trying to keep the inside temperature around 75 with just the furnace you will use a 30 pound tank in 2-3 days especially if you are running the water heater and refrigerator on propane. You can minimize your propane use by running the fridge and water heater on electric and supplementing the furnace heat with and electric space heater. If the check valve were going off you would see water leaking.

Wow, who would have thought that the furnace would use that much.
My husband found an article in Highways last night of a couple that only turns on the water heater when needed. They said it takes about 20-30 mins to heat up a 6 gallon water heater. They turn it off before they go to bed, turn it on when they wake up and after the breakfast dishes turn it off again. I thought this was a pretty good idea. Any thoughts?

hillsonwheels

My thoughts............propane use to maintain water temperature after reaching the set temperature will be minimal. About the only time it'd kick in is when water is being drawn. You would definitely know if the pressure relief "pop off" valve had let go. You would have seen steam rolling out from under the coach where ever the drain line exits!

Propane drain should also be minimal for the refrigerator just to maintain temperature. But, as has been said, you can cut both of those out of the picture by running them on electricity.

Your high use has to be from running the furnace. Ceramic electric heaters and electric blankets are the way to cut down on propane.

Hang in there! Warmer weather has to be on the way !:D

mountain1

You can hear the water heater when it is heating the water. Just stand next to the vent and listen. I have a 10 gallon and when dry camping we turn it off when not needed and start it about 15 minutes prior to showering in the morning. It is hot in 15 minutes.

lwmcguir

You are using the water or the releif valve would open up due to high pressure/temperature. If the heater is actually on propane and running that is.