North Trail Travel Trailers Safety Recall IIV-159

pegmikef

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

I got a safety recall on my 2011 NT26LRSS TT that I purchased in December 2010. The recall addressed the equalizer arm coming in contact with the gas line. I inspected mine and sure enough, the line is already worn about half way through (enough so I'm not going to use the gas until it is fixed). . . and that's in barely 2500 miles. I strongly advise anyone else that may have received the recall letter to inspect their rigs and take the appropriate steps to get it fixed. This is NOT one of those things that might happen, it will happen.

goducks11

I have a 26LRSS and looked under it at the gas line and mine is all banged up too. Taking it in on the 5th for them to fix it. Looks like Heartland drop the ball on the suspension setup, I looked at both sides and the equalizer arm hits the frame on both sides. You can see dents in the plastic undercover where all four ends of the equalizer bang the frame. I've got less than a 1000 miles on mine.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Yikes, good to know. Haven't heard anything on the 2011 24RBS, ours has been in the shop for going on 27 days to fix a leaky slide.

olyfire

You should have gotten a recall notice in the mail. If not I'd call Heartland.
I took our North Trail to the dealer with the recall notice. They have had it for about a week but they said they could see the problem. The same day I took it up they got the OK to correct the problem.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
When we first got this trailer and we had it in the shop, I asked the service guy about this problem, he said Heartland would notify them if there was a problem and he hadn't heard anything, but it wouldn't hurt to ask again.

*edit*
I e-mailed Customer Service at Heartland they told me: Your VIN # was not included in the Recall.

Which we were glad about, but will look once in a while anyway. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Last edited:

pegmikef

You're luckier than me. Heartland found me a local dealer in San Angelo to fix it, but they still don't have the parts and instruction sheet . . . they did say ithey thought it was only an hour or two to fix it.

goducks11

Guess I'm not lucky either. Apparently when I called and set up an appointment for today they had no clue they would need parts. They hadn't even seen the recall notice. They had to call Heartland and get the specifics. So the parts are on order. Towed down there for nothing. Heartland has ordered 100 kits. All it is is 4 rubber stops that fasten to the under side of the frame with a screw directly above the ends of the equalizer. That way when they move up they hit the rubber stop before hitting the frame and or pipe. It's about a 30 min job according to the tech guy. I had planned on going camping on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of this month. So it looks like I will try and move the pipe a little to give some clearance for the equalizer. Only need about 1/4-3/8".

pegmikef

Yeah, the dealer here ordered the parts, but was told they are back ordered and it will 3 or 4 days before they get them and then they gotta ship 'em to Texas. Since I see obvious wear on my gas line and we will be going to my daughter's in Arizona possibly before it is fixed, we just plan on not using gas (most of our meals will be at my daughter's). Enroute we'll use an electric grill pan and I'll take my old Smokey Joe and use charcoal. I'll just load up the fridge with a bunch of freezer cold packs to keep stuff cold while on the road.

sirjin

I just got my 31BDSS back from the dealership yesterday after fixing the recall. Dealer had if for 2 weeks, cuz it took a week to get the part shipped from Heartland to Washington state and it only took 2 hours to fix the part. I had about 700 miles on the TT and didn't see anything too odd when I looked before I took it in for the recall, but after they ran the VIN #, they said it was part of the recall. Glad to have it fixed.

pegmikef

My 26RLSS has obvious scraping on the gas line after about 2500 miles (give or take). Heartland fixed it up so I can take it to a local dealer here in San Angelo and they now have the part and gave me an appointment for Tuesday. Hopefully it will be fixed. It is a simple fix and Jeanette (dealer's service coordinater) said Heartland is paying for 30 minutes to install the parts.

goducks11

Got my recall parts on. I ended up just doing it my self. It was easier than hooking up the TT and dragging it down there. All they are is 2 square rubber blocks about 3/4" thick and maybe 2"x2-1/2" square with a counter sunk hole in the center. They have 2 self taping screws in the package. You only put them on one side, the side with the pipe. Kinda wierd, so if your TT bottoms out, one side will bottom out 3/4" sooner. I guess they must figure that the bottoming out must occur at slower speeds. Anyway I just drilled 2 holes with a vari-bite and used 2, 5/16" bolts and dbl nutted them. I don't see how a tech can get the self taping bolt started as there is hardley any room to get a socket and ratchet on the bolt head. Took me about 50 mins because I had to scrounge around my boxes of leftover nuts and bolts to find 2 to match. I gaurantee it will take a tech guy more than 30 mins on his 1st one. Hopefully who ever has it done is the tech guys 3rd or 4th customer.

Wayno

I never received a recall notice. Don't understand where the problem is. What/where is the equalizer arm? I have a NT30RLSS (2011). Could you be more specific. Checked all the gas lines and nothing was touching anything. Thanks

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Wayno, you may want to call Heartland Customer Service with your VIN handy. I don't think all the North Trails are covered in this recall.

pegmikef

If you look on the side that the gas line is on (it runs along the beam on the curb side of the TT) between the two axles you will see the equalizer arm with an end of each spring attached to each end of the arm. Dependent on the road, as each wheel moves up and down the arm pivots with one end possibly hitting the gas line (mine was already scarred). If you look at each end of the arm you will see where it is possible for the arm to hit the gas line or even the frame (if your model is one of the affected North Trails).

Wayno

Thanks for this info. This really helps. Checking on it now.

Good news....This model isn't affected. Thanks for this posting. It's always good to check all problems. Thanks again. Wayno