ATF: Bighorn - Does Lippert have a heavy duty frame or will they reinforce

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
For the factory;
Some manufacturers have option for heavy duty frame, reinforced in neck area/pinbox area. Does Lippert have this option if we order another coach. Roads are getting rougher, trailers take quite a lot of abuse. We currently have 3585 and may move to Landmark. But since this would hopefully be last coach, we want to look at added strength in pinbox and step areas

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mickey, I've never heard of there being an option for a heavier frame. I would hope, in light of several past frame flex issues, this has been addressed by Heartland and Lippert both. I know there is at least one manufacturer out there with a beefier frame. Two things come to mind, much more money and bigger tow vehicle.

lwmcguir

Dittos on the money and TV, Many out there have heavier frames and require a F550 or larger. all it takes is about $200k to get fixed up. If you are going the cheaper route then driving skills and common sense go a long ways. A little luck done hurt either.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mickey is not worried about pulling it. He has one monster of a TV already.

MICKEY

There are a few factory's that have an option to reinforce the pinbox/neck area. This is a common problem area with some. It's just a lot easier and cheaper to do it from the factory, before unit is built. The additional cost is minimal to reinforce frame while it's being built. I have a reason to ask for this mod. My driving skills are, if I may say, above average. I run on pretty good roads. I wanted to buy one last unit before retiring, and wanted it to last a lifetime. However I do want to investigate going to Alaska and the roads are rough. So are the roads in the northeast, deep south along I-10, construction areas anywhere USA. I have spent a considerable amount of money to protect my coach or any I may pull. I'm just one of those people who believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Mickey,
Other than our short converstion about this at Cherokee, I will tell you what I think is interesting about this thread....NO ONE from the factory has chimed in to at least tell you why they don't feel it is necessary to reinforce the frame a HL fifth wheel when several other (higher end) companies offer that option.

If the frame flex issue that Ray is talking about has been addressed, it would be nice to hear about that also.

MICKEY

Larry;

I was just trying to get an answer to the question. I have been considering upgrading to a Landmark and wanted to have the frame reinforced by the factory like some others do. I did not expect it to be "thrown in", or ask anything unreasonable. Isn't that what this thread is about?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Larry;

I was just trying to get an answer to the question. I have been considering upgrading to a Landmark and wanted to have the frame reinforced by the factory like some others do. I did not expect it to be "thrown in", or ask anything unreasonable. Isn't that what this thread is about?

Well, I thought so too when you posted this. As you know our trailer is for sale right now with the same intentions of up grading to a ....