Roof maintenance

galee78

Hi, This is my first post. I hope I am in the correct area.
My question: We have a 2011 Bighorn 5th wheel with a rubber roof.
My dealer is recommending a roof treatment ($349.00) in which they clean by power washing then apply a conditioner to protect the roof.
Is this a necessary annual procedure?
Thanks in advance.
Gary

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Galee78, welcome to the forum. You came to the right place for answers.
To answer your question in a word.....no.
The only thing you need to do to that roof is clean it.
You will get more suggestions.

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

Galee78, welcome to the forum. You came to the right place for answers.
To answer your question in a word.....no.
The only thing you need to do to that roof is clean it.
You will get more suggestions.

Peace
Dave

Dave is right

When you are cleaning check for any areas that might need caulked

We had our Yellowstone for 11 years and never power washed the roof one time. It sat outside all the time. The Agusta gets to stay inside in the winter.

GOTTOYS

Power washing is pretty risky business. It could cause damage if the pressure is too high. Most people just wash them with either Dawn dish soap or Spic and Span using a soft brush and a hose. Once or twice a year followed by and inspection of all the caulking should be all that's needed. Some people never wash them, they just inspect them...Don

rebootsemi

At $349. a pop for about 30 minutes work and I'll bet their conditioner is probably something like Mop & Glo, don't let them touch it. Man you have to be on your game around these dealers. And I thought used car salesmen were bad.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I use a power washer on mine and on my previous rigs also. I use it at least 3 times a year , this rig is almost 6 years old , does a great job......Kenny

jnbhobe

Yep just what everyone elce has said and for $350 and some change you can own your own pressure washer.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Can't imagine a 2011 rig needing a roof pressure wash and conditioner! A soft brush and some Dawn should suffice! Personally, I would not spend the money on that offer! Seems like a "snake oil" to me!

Best Wishes!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Can't imagine a 2011 rig needing a roof pressure wash and conditioner! A soft brush and some Dawn should suffice! Personally, I would not spend the money on that offer! Seems like a "snake oil" to me!

I agree !!!

What I have used on my roof ever since I got it. Dawn and a brush 2 or 3 times a year with a brush on a pole. Like the ones they wash the sides of the trailer with you get from Campigng World or your dealer's parts dept.

BC

branson4020

Icantre Member
It is absolutely snake oil. NOTHING you can do to the rubber roof will increase it's service life. Cleaning the roof is purely for cosmetic reasons. I own commercial buildings that have the same EPDM rubber roof membrane as your RV and I have never cleaned or treated any of the 50,000+ sq ft of roofs in over 15 yrs.

floridarandy

It is absolutely snake oil. NOTHING you can do to the rubber roof will increase it's service life. Cleaning the roof is purely for cosmetic reasons. I own commercial buildings that have the same EPDM rubber roof membrane as your RV and I have never cleaned or treated any of the 50,000+ sq ft of roofs in over 15 yrs.

you know, i don't doubt what bob said. we bought a 2009 model rig and the previous owner cleaned it. while on the roof i saw no damage but the normal chaulking that occurs as the material ages. it did get dirty, however and i I bookmarked from Jim Beletti, our fearless leader:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/892-Cleaning-the-EPDM-Rubber-Roof?

This past weekend I used the Protect-All products....Cleaner and Treatment...and here's my assessment:

Cleaner worked as described. "Stand-up" application with a sponge mop cleaned the top to bright white except where mildew stained (small penny sized circles which were less visible but still present). 1/2 gallon cleaned our 32 foot top.

Treatment worked as described. Eliminated chaulking and left a somewhat repellent finish. One quart did entire top with 1/3 to spare.

Now, did it perform a miracle. No, it cleaned the top and appeared to present a finish that might repel stains for some time into the future. Manufacturer says 2-3 x /year to reapply.

My assessment....we plan to keep this rig for many years. I'm prepared to invest in anything that makes it look better and MAY extend the incremental life of a component for a year. If it doesnt' I'll feel better and the investment wasn't all that great.

Would I do it again...yes...the time up top "caring" for the top got me to know what's up there better...and I feel better :). If I'd gotten the rig new I'd have done the same thing from day 1.

My 2 cents.

Randy

Randy

galee78

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry for the delayed response, I could not figure outnhow to get back to the thread. Got it now. Thanks again for the info.!

caissiel

I had a 15 year old trailer with original roof. I added conditioner once and was getting chalk on the walls all the time as it was flowing from the roof so I was glad when it was washed out. I also would never power wash mine as I use soft brush and Dawn also.