On the Alaska Highway

lcdrdean

We arrived in Dawson Creek this afternoon (April 26, 2011) to start the trek up the Alaska Highway. We are leaving Dawson Creek on the 28th en-route to Fairbanks. Our itinerary is as follows:
Fort Nelson - April 28 - 29
Muncho Lake - April 30
Watson Lake - May 1 - 2
Teslin - May 3
Whitehorse - May 4 - 5
Destruction Bay - May 6
Tok - May 7
Fairbanks - May 8

Anyone else on the Alaska Highway?

traveler44

Did you have any trouble getting over the rockies this early? Sounds like a great trip!! What does fuel cost in Canada and Alaska now? Keep posting when you can. Tom M.

Yes please keep posting! Lynn and I lived in Fairbanks back in the early 70’s while in the Army. We drove down the ALCAN when it was 1300 miles of gravel road. Someday when we are retired we are planning to go back with our Bighorn. The views are spectacular!!!!

plumberdude

icdrcdeam:
yes keep us all posted. lori and i put this on our bucket list.
we did the inside passage cruze an saw the view from the water. awasom
good luck and drive safe.

pat lori

davebennington

We are leaving for AK right after the rally in Goshen. Please keep us posted about your progress, fuel cost, problems we may encounter or things to avoid.

Tahnks

Dave & Julie

Mels Musty Music

Join DateSep 2006LocationUSA - WAPosts80My location
Current Rig
2007 Heartland Bighorn
Re: Alaska 2010

I envy those of you heading for Alaska this summer. DW only knows one direction anymore - SOUTH.

Don't miss stopping at Dawson Peaks at milepost 797 in the Yukon- just before you get to Teslin. Dave and Carolyn are two of the nicest people you will ever meet and whether its an overnite in their campground or an afternoon break for a piece of Carolyn's rhubarb pie you won't be sorry. We spent a week there the last time through.​

We're leaving for Alaska on May 23 and plan to spend the summer there. We have reservations at the Tek campground inside Denali Natl Park starting June 14. Would also love to know about gas, etc.

lcdrdean

Thanks for all the recommendations. And good travelling to those who are planning on coming.

We arrived in Fort Nelson today. It was a six hour drive from Dawson Creek. Roads are for the most part in good shape. Some rough spots, but no snow or ice. There were two down grades of 9 - 10 percent, the truck handled them fine, but I did go slow. Weather was fine, just drove through one rain shower.

Paid 1.23 CDN$ per liter in Dawson Creek for diesel and in Profit, BC, a little over 200 miles from Dawson Creek for 1.45 CDN$. Gas stations were far and few between. A couple places we stopped were not yet open for the season. I carry 2 five gallon containers of diesel just in case. Didn't have to use them on this leg.

Also this early in the season, many campgrounds are not yet open, and those that are often don't have water. We fill our water and propane tanks and dump gray and black water tanks whenever we can. In Dawson Creek, I had to drive all the way across town to get propane, the dealer closest to our campground had closed down.

We stayed at the Northern Lights RV Park in Dawson Creek. They had both 50 amp service and water at some sites (we had one) but the cable and wifi were weak. Our site also had a sewer hookup. Here in Fort Nelson, we are staying at the Triple G Hideaway campground (formerly Westend Campground). We have 30 amp service, no water, sewer, and decent cable and wifi.

We will leave for Muncho Lake on Sunday morning.

brianharrison

To put those costs back to $/USgal, multiply $/litre times 3.78 to get $/USgal. This assumes par on the Can$ to US$. Right now it is 1.04 Can$ to 1 US$, so to be exact multiply last answer by 1.04 to get true conversion of Can$/liter to US$/gal.

1.13 Can$/litre is average here in Alberta right now (4.44 US$/gal) for deisel. Higher as you go up through Canada to get to Alaska, I see Fairbanks is charging about 4.40 US$/gal right now. Canada has higher provincial and federal taxes on fuel as compared to US.

A good reference is http://www.gasbuddy.com

For those with smart phones, there's an app for that - I have it on my iPhone.

Take care,
Brian

aatauses

We are leaving from seattle the end of May. Which way do you go to tget to Dawson creek? Up 97 or did you go up Kaloops?
al