Be Sure and Inspect those wheel well tubs after a rain

JeffN

Hello, We're new to the RV world and have had our Edge M22 for a little under a year now. We love our choice. Outside of few minor inconveniences (intermittant refrig beeping, etc) it's been a great RV.

Just wanted to warn other Edge owners to inspect the interior side of their plastic wheel well tubs during/after a rain. We encountered a major rain storm last week and found that water collects at the lowest part of the inside wheel well tub and once full ... cascades onto the interior floor of the RV. The tub under the kitchen sink cabinent is easiest to inspect. The slide out side is visible if you remove the seat cushions and plywood seat support.

Once we were home I removed the decorative plastic fender trim (about 10 screws) and found that the wheel well tubs extend out and over the exterior side walls..similar to a lid on a jar.. only upside down. The exterior plastic fender trim does nothing to redirect rainwater, so the water flows underneath the plastic fender trim where it meets the uncaulked edge of the wheel well tubs.... like a gutter the water then flows inside the vehicle to the lowest point of the interior wheel well tub (center between the two wheels).

Spent last night caulking the wheel well tub flange and adding screws to bring the wheel well tub flange closer to the exterior walls. (some areas had large gaps). Hopefully that cures it.

Happy Caulking !

Re: Be Sure and Inpspect those wheel well tubs after a rain

I found the exact same problem with mine in the just over a year we have had it. Unfortunately, one does not notice the problem until the water has leaked onto the floor of the camper a few times. Thanks for the post and I will be caulking this weekend, providing it does not rain again.

Zeman

Re: Be Sure and Inpspect those wheel well tubs after a rain

I too found water that made its way into the left rear storage under the bunks. Swelled up the sawdust board covering the very rear of the wheelwell in the storage area to twice its normal thickness. I'm in the process of replacing the hot water heater elbow--it appears saving 1/4" of pex at the factory put enough stress on it to crack in the very corner. I have pictures of my AC unit and my take on the dripping water issue also. I will try and post on the AC thread later tonight. The Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean tires are already checking. As more time goes by it seems as if I bought a USED car...........