Anyone install an awning on their MPG?

marc515

If we get an MPG, I would like to have a regular awning; has anyone put one on?

Thank you

PapaMikey

I spoke with the dealer about that very same question. Their response, after market awnings probably will not fit properly on the MPG to do any good, because of the shape of the roof line. Camping World has a nice after market awning that might fit the MPG, but on the 181, the support legs would be located right in the middle of the entry door. Maybe someone will come out with an awning that would work someday.

Please see my pictures and comments on the MPG awning. We used the dome tent as an awning and it was perfect. I wrote the comments and sent the pictures on the Dome Tent subject. Let me know if you cannot access them.

Tumblebug

I am trying a Trim line awning Model 944X 12 , a 12 foot bag awning (Camping world). It looks ok up but when in the bag, looks strange, with the curved awning rail. I attached the awning rafter to the trailer with double adhesive auto trim tape. Anyway for what it's worth. trimline 944X12 a dz.jpgtrim line 944x12  cdz.jpgtrim line 944x12 b dz.jpgawn rafter front dz.jpgawn rafter rear dz.jpg
Probably take it off when traveling, rather than use the bag. MPG 183

Last edited:

marc515

I am trying a Trim line awning Model 944X 12 , a 12 foot bag awning (Camping world). It looks ok up but when in the bag, looks strange, with the curved awning rail. I attached the awning rafter to the trailer with double adhesive auto trim tape. Anyway for what it's worth. View attachment 15813View attachment 15814View attachment 15815View attachment 15816View attachment 15817
Probably take it off when traveling, rather than use the bag.

Tumblebug,.......Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

PapaMikey

Great idea! I was thinking of something down that same road, but I wonder if perhaps a slightly shorter awning would work better. I noticed the three step ladder in the first photo, so I am assuming that was enough to reach the track at the top of the trailer for the awning bag to slip into. It still must be a hassle to roll the awning up into the bag, but I bet it can be done.

Papa Mikey:

Did you see my pictures of the MPG screen room used as an awning?
The pictures are posted on the MPG Screen Room Thread. if you can't see them, send you're e-mail and I'll send you the pictures.

ready2camp

PapaMikey

Yes, I have seen that room awning and I really don't care much for it. I am sure that there is an awning system out there somewhere that will work on the MPG.

MPG185-GA

If you look on the Heartland MPG Facebook page there are some pics of a "bag" awning that fits in the MPG slot. It has peaked my interest.

I really do wish they would come out with something different. I really like it though. Not sure my husband is going to go for that price though!

gwolfe

I would go the Trimline bag awning route like Tumblebug did, they can be had for 2-300 bucks. 900 seems high to me.

ptarthur2

Yes I saw the Dome Awning on EBay AFTER I bought mine from Heartland which was part of the deal on the MPG camper. I really like my Dome Awning but if I had it to do over again I would have bought it off of Ebay. Based on the advertising on the Heartland website I was expecting something that was custom made for the MPG and would be installed by my dealer but that turned out not to be the case. The dome awning works nicely as an additional room for the MPG or as a simple awning but I had to do several things myself to make it bug proof. I just finished installing a lower "C" rail to the frame of the camper to accommodate the screen apron that runs along underneath the door and behind the wheel. I attached the snaps that hold the sides of the dome awning to the camper using JB Weld. I still need to attach some velcro to fasten the edges of the screen apron to the sides of the dome awning which shouldn't be too hard. None of this was a huge chore but for the price of the dome awning you'd think that all of this would have been included. Weve's used our dome awning on a trip to Florida during the summer and it sure came in handy as extra space and to help keep the skeeters' out of the camper.