300C towing question

goherd17

Just purchased 2012 300C and I have a 2011 F250 truck. I know the pin weight is alot for this unit and wondering if anyone has towed one of these with a non dually truck and how it acts. I have not towed yet unit was delivered to home because I did not have have my hitch in truck yet. I have installed a air suspension kit to truck to help also.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
goherd17, Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum. You've just asked the age old question, "Is my truck OK for this trailer". Be prepared to hear answers you might not like. There are many owners of trailers pulling over the trucks rated capacity. I'm very close to being one of them. It can be done but be very careful.

goherd17

goherd17, Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum. You've just asked the age old question, "Is my truck OK for this trailer". Be prepared to hear answers you might not like. There are many owners of trailers pulling over the trucks rated capacity. I'm very close to being one of them. It can be done but be very careful.

Thanks alot I have asked alot of local people some say need dually and some say will be fine. I guess the only way to find out is pull it and be careful. If not stable guess trading up to F450

TNT

Your F250 should be fine. Pulled an 09 3210 with mine for 2 years like it wasn't even back there. Weights are about the same. If you put toys in the back it will decrease your pin weight. Just recently went with the 11 F350 just because it was time for a new truck and thought if going to buy a new one, might as well get a one ton. Enjoy your rig!!!

trvlrerik

My trailer is a Cyclone and I am pulling with a srw F350 with good results. I have upgraded my truck with air bags and larger Brembo 2 caliper brakes on the front and rear. A lot of your gross combined vehihcle weight rating is dependant on what rear end you have. The pin weight also can be adjusted more than you would think by the loading of your toybox and fuel capacity.
A personal issue that I have is lateral stability in high wind conditions that a dual wheel vehicle would help stabilize, my solution to this is to not travel in over 30 mph winds for any reason.
My combined vehicle weight right now is 25460, and with a lot of caution and constant monitoring of tires/suspension I have pulled a little over 50k in the last 3 years with no incidents. I also firmly believe that the $3200 dollars for truck/trailer tires and $950 for general maintanance spent in the last 3 years have kept me from having any "incidents".

Good luck with your new Cyclone you will love it.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
According to Fords own tow ratings for a 5th wheel the F-250 is rated between 12,700 lbs for a two wheel drive gas up to 16,400 lbs with the diesel with pay loads over 2900 lbs depending how the truck is configured. You can find the ratings for your truck in the specs section on Fords web site. The air bags made a huge difference on my Dodge. I'm wafting to see how my F-450 does before adding them to it.

71stang99

My 1st question is what do you think of the trailer?

I just signed the paper work for mine and my tow vehicle will be an 09 F350 SRW so I was wondering the same but figured I should be safe with the pin weight. If everthing goes as planned I will have to go and pick it up so hopefully no surprises.

Ive been searching the web for input on what people think about this trailer especially since I am buying this sight unseen and the owner reports have not shown up yet. The one I have made the deal on is a 2011 so I dont know if the 2012 is different.

Dennist

atving and camping...
We tow our 4012 with an 06 SRW F 350 4x4 with air bags, But air pressure and being aware
of your surroundings is a must. I drive a semi for a living thus its no big deal to be at 27K truck & trailer, 4 quads, full of fuel, (both truck and 5th wheel)
Have fun...

BarneyFife

Not to highjack this thread but to go along side it. Congrats to the OP, by the way.

We are picking up our new 370C this Friday. I have an '09 F350 SRW with newly installed 5K air bags. I have tractor-trailer experience and feel quite confident pulling the new 5er. What I am concerned about is not the truck itself but the tires.

The 370C states a pin weight of 3300lbs. I wonder if those stock Goodyears will be up to the task.

trvlrerik

I am running Goodyear wrangler at/s, load range E (3750lbs) as they are the only all terrain tire in my size (275/65/20) and they have 35k on them and about half of the tread. so far no complaints.

BarneyFife

I am running Goodyear wrangler at/s, load range E (3750lbs) as they are the only all terrain tire in my size (275/65/20) and they have 35k on them and about half of the tread. so far no complaints.

Sounds great. My Goodyears will get the test in the morning.

lwmcguir

The 20 inch Michelin's on ours handles our heavy dually trailers just as well as our 1 ton's with duals. Run 80 psig in the tires. The suspension needs to be firm to not contribute to sway when the road pitches. You semi drivers probably note the amount of new tractors hitting the roads with singles.

goherd17

My 1st question is what do you think of the trailer?

I just signed the paper work for mine and my tow vehicle will be an 09 F350 SRW so I was wondering the same but figured I should be safe with the pin weight. If everthing goes as planned I will have to go and pick it up so hopefully no surprises.

Ive been searching the web for input on what people think about this trailer especially since I am buying this sight unseen and the owner reports have not shown up yet. The one I have made the deal on is a 2011 so I dont know if the 2012 is different.
Love the camper very nice but gonna have to trade trucks to dually just not stable enough and plan on pulling on long trips.

6.7powerstroke

Yep, way too much weight for a 250. I have the 30C which is the same trailer with a 350. These have very high pin weights from the titanium front end. I have had no issues pulling mine 75 mph in some high winds. It definately pulls a lot better with the tanks full than empty. I have about 1000 miles towing on mine.

Bighurt

I'd like to see what these titaniums look like when hooked up to the TV. Personally I'd like to see these 2008 and later SRW Fords but I'd settle for any truck long bed or short.

Congrats to the OP.

71stang99

I just posted up some pics from my 09 F350 from picking up my 300c in Omaha a couple of days ago. I have the 6.4 SRW long bed CC and it did pretty well, I towed dry and didnt have much wind issues and the trailer behaved but I hated the stretch from Denver to the I-15. My brake controller or trailer brakes is another issue, I had it on 9.5 for it to really work.

goherd17

I love the camper but had to upgrade to F350 for towing it. I tried with the 250 just way to unstable on road without the dually tires. With the dually towes like a dream