Gauges for your TV..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
While at the rally I saw one of our members TV that had the Exite digital gauges installed.

I had been looing at some and found a place that would install the Excite CST digital gauges.

Here is a picture of the gauges.
IMG_0225 Mod.jpg Edge CTS0001.jpg

What are the limit readings.
This shows Engine Cooling Temp, Engine Oil Temp, Exaust Gas Temp, Transmission Temp,
They told me the Engine and Oil Temp shoud be about the same but not over 250*.
The Exaust Gas Temp should not be over 1,400*. Didn't say anything about the Transmission.

What do you guys get on TV alone and when pulling Trailer on hwy and then pulling up mountain range?

BC

truknutt

Committed Member
Bob,

We use 1275 as the MAX EGT setting; higher and your Variable Geometry Turbo's vanes start to distort!! The engine can run at 1250 all day long. Shoot for 200 on the Trans temp.

Rrloren

I monitor EGT, Trans. Temp, boost and Regen Cycle. Since I have a Hypertech Max programmer installed my Egt's never get over 1300 degrees under any pulling conditions I've seen , mostly they run 8-900 F.
I watch Trans Temp when towing and have seen as high as 215F under extreme conditions but they cool quickly once back at normal speed. I do have a deeper Tranny Pan which holds an extra 3 or 4 qts. At highway speeds while towing Trans Temp is 150- 165 F.
Running at normal speeds without towing EGT's are in the 6-700F range and Tranny Temps run under 150F.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, if your EGT's get to 1400* you better grab another gear and get off the throttle. Other wise you will have a BIG TIME melt down. 1300* is the max you ever want to see.

Moose

I just installed the same Edge Insight CTS. My EGT's are way up there on a stock truck. I have seen almost 1400F under heavy acceleration. I have a call into tech support at Edge as I don't believe these numbers.

I monitor EGT, Trans Temp and boost on the analog settings.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
It is my understanding that the Edge monitoring system is reading the on board compuiter information.

I am wondering if the readings are correct. Today when I came up the 7* grade to Buckhorn RV Park in Kerrville TX the readings were in the range I expected. When I dropped the trailer to go to Wally World and back the readings were higher than they were when I drove back to the campground after the original installation.

With out the trailer the transmission ran at 122*, EGT was from about 700-800*, the ECT was a solid 190, EOT was a solit 185.
When I came back from Wal-Mart today (with out the trailer) TFT was about 175, the ECT & EOT was about 200*. While pulling the trailer the ECT got up to 212 and the EOT was about 220.

I have to watch them over a period of time to see what they run under different conditions.

I would like as much information as anyone can come up with. Thanks for the information.

BC

brianharrison

Hello,

I have the Edge and have "watched" readings for a couple of years towing and unloaded. Yes it reads the onboard sensors through the factory OBD2 port. I run the stock program with DPF still intact (ie regenerations are still happening).

EGT (on manifold) runs about 1100F loaded, 800 unloaded. Regens run up to 1200-1250F.
ECT (coolant) and EOT oil - are pretty constant at 220F loaded, 212 unloaded. On hot summer pulling 20 miles up on 8% grade I saw 235 coolant and 225 oil.
Tranny runs constant at 180F loaded and 175 unloaded. On the day mentioned about tranny went to 230F with no harm done. I have burnt up trannys in gassers (converter forgot to lock up) and seen temps around 300F before damage.

I see you have the 6.0. I did not run a digital monitor when i had my 05 Ford but I would think they should be similar.

Take care,
Brian

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I max out at 1000*F EGT after all the tuning mods. Not bad for the old dodge. High EGTs can really kill an engine. In stock form they run hot, too hot.

caissiel

You will like all the gauges available when you have the Ford 6.0L. Its a great truck for pulling but the oil temperature reading differential with the Coolant is the most important indicator and is a must to save the engine. All of 6.0L problems are related to the oil and Coolant differential and don't be fooled by being told it is relevent to coolant temperature.

I came home from florida with a failing FICM, Fuel Injector Control Module, I knew it was going because my Scangauge indicated the problem. I made it home in NB and the next morning the Unit was failed and the truck would not start. Without the Standard, Scangauge, and knowledge I was going to have a $2000 breakdown that Ford would have taken days to repair for me.
No way I would have made the trip because I could not Rev higher then 1800RPM without causing additional damage to the engine injectors and electronic controls. Without the Scangauge I would have never seen the problem until stuck on the side of the road without knowing what went wrong.

I was able to repair the FICM here for the cost of a soldering iron and solder $23 and the truck is now back in operation.

For me Scangauge Rocks for only $160 its the tool to have when operating a Ford 6.0L Diesel.

Last edited:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Having a Rail pressure gauge and Fuel pressure gauge really helps keep an eye on the CP3 pump and the injectors operation. A must with these common rail (CR) diesels. Also run a 2 micron (CAT) final filter is a must with the today's fuels.