ATF: Big Country - Q/A

busted2341

Well we received our new BC and were both excited and disappointed just a bit. The QA is still not there. This is our second Heartland. Our first was a BH 3055. We love the 3595RE but after getting home and finding the landing gear button keeps blowing the 30amp fuse for some reason and the window dressings are different sizes we should have looked closer. Will be happy to provide some pics but you can tell material was stretched to make a fit and some were just measured short of the other side of the dressing on the same window. Heartland had always been responsive when the problems came up with our first one. QA still needs help.

Frank

B

bwwalczak

I have contacted Heartland service on your behalf. They will be contacting you.

The 30 amp fuse (which I am sure you have found already in the battery compartment) is required by our frame vendor. HL service can help you on this.

The window treatments/curtains need to be discussed with HL service.

Ticaster

Bryan,
I just can't resist commenting on the concerns of Heartlands QA. I just purchased a 2011 NT TT and the small obvious issues that I have been finding really make me shake my head. Individually the items are small and easily fixed, but when combined it is hard to believe the a trailer could actually be shipped out with these obvious misses. I am working with my dealer and Heartland and all the items are being fixed to my satisfaction, so far. I just question what systems Heartland is putting in place to fix the issues on the line so they never get to the customer. You are know for having a great customer service department (industry leading) but I am convinced it is out of necessity because of all the escapes from the factory.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you have electric front jacks, extending them all the way will blow the fuse. Mark the point on the jacks about an inch short of full extension and the problem should be alleviated. If the jacks are hydraulic, that's a different issue (can't help with that one).

GOTTOYS

I believe Heartland already has a program in place to catch the small annoying defects that the trailer is shipped with. It would be the dealer and the required Pre-Delivery Inspection or PDI. In my opinon that's the last line of defense and many dealers are falling down on the job including the one that sold me mine. They get paid for doing this and there is no reason that anything should get past them, if they only did what they were supposed to do. I'm sure it's much more difficult to do minor repairs in a factory setting. Not making excuses, maybe Heartland would benefit in taking the PDI responsibility away from the dealer???..JMHO...Don

Ticaster

My outside shower was not hooked up, thankfully I pulled the hose all the way out prior to turning on the faucet and flooding the interior of my unit? This is simple stuff that standard work on a manufacturing line does to ensure the product is correct. You do not gain quality by inspecting it in to your product. The fill line for my water tank goes up over a heating duct. The dinette window was installed 1.5 inches too low, now the knobs interfere with the back of the cushion, a window frame was bent and installed anyway and the patch job was shoddy. My inside speakers are hooked up wrong, left and right instead of front and back zones. Too many little things that tell me they lack in-process checks in their manufacturing line to ensure the job is done right. This isn't rocket science.
Don't get me wrong, I think Heartland builds one of the best units for the money on the market. If they had better processes in place, they could be so much more that just the 5th best selling RV in the nation. Imagine if they could produce a trailer that the sole purpose of the PDI was to teach the owner how to operate the unit and not to inspect it for all the flaws???

busted2341

Well I received a call only a few hours after my post. As before Heartland was very responsive to my "complaining". But it should have bee caught on the line, so to speak. Every one of my window valences is measured wrong along with blinds that hang well below. I promised Heartland pics, which I will send them tomorrow.

As for the fuse blowing, hummm..see what dealer will do. Ot just up the fuse I hope!

Well said Ticaster..

As before I will advise..

busted2341

Wrong size.jpgWell I know this pic is not very good but I promised one. As you can see the right side is much higher (2") then the left and this is one of 4. I will send the Factory rep some better ones.

rebootsemi

My outside shower was not hooked up, thankfully I pulled the hose all the way out prior to turning on the faucet and flooding the interior of my unit? This is simple stuff that standard work on a manufacturing line does to ensure the product is correct. You do not gain quality by inspecting it in to your product. The fill line for my water tank goes up over a heating duct. The dinette window was installed 1.5 inches too low, now the knobs interfere with the back of the cushion, a window frame was bent and installed anyway and the patch job was shoddy. My inside speakers are hooked up wrong, left and right instead of front and back zones. Too many little things that tell me they lack in-process checks in their manufacturing line to ensure the job is done right. This isn't rocket science.
Don't get me wrong, I think Heartland builds one of the best units for the money on the market. If they had better processes in place, they could be so much more that just the 5th best selling RV in the nation. Imagine if they could produce a trailer that the sole purpose of the PDI was to teach the owner how to operate the unit and not to inspect it for all the flaws???

Tiocaster & Gottoys, and they say I pick on the poor factory, I just wonder how much money HL would save with a little QC.