Door over microwave

Bob Vaughn

Why wasn't some type of door strut installed on this door? My wife likes to put her cookie sheets and flat pans up there but it takes two of us, one to hold the door up and the other to put the stuff in and out. I went to Camping World and got the shortest strut that they had but it was too long.....Mabey the cabinet/door should be about 1" or so larger so the shortest strut would work......

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, can't answer your question. Try an auto parts house, they will have all kinds of gas struts. Just make sure that they are not to strong. BTW, our BH has gas struts for overhead cabinets. Maybe one of those would work. When I have a chance, I will see if there is any kind on #'s on them. Call HL Parts and see if they can find one that will work.

Bob Vaughn

Everyone I have found is too long, and auto parts store does not sell anything as short as 3 inches...I worked at one and they are all for holding up rear van doors.....much too strong...

Bob
You might want to check out Custom Service Hardware. I have a friend who buys all his cabinet and furniture hardware from them because of the choices available, and the good prices. They may be able to help.
www.cshardware.com

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You can look into places like this. CLICK HERE While this is not a gas strut or spring loaded support, it should work in your situation. They area available for either right or left side use. They should be available in Home D or Lowes.

ChopperBill

I got a couple right off the wall at an RV dealer. They looked the same but you could tell they were better built.

Bob Vaughn

You can look into places like this. CLICK HERE While this is not a gas strut or spring loaded support, it should work in your situation. They area available for either right or left side use. They should be available in Home D or Lowes.
I had previously purchased this exact thing thinking it would work but it will require making the facing inside the cabinet thicker to mount that part of the hinge to ......

porthole

Retired
Did you try calling Heartland parts yet?
Many of the doors in the trailers are held open with short spring assisted struts.

traveler44

There might be other ways to hold that door open other than a strut. I use self stick velcrow on the edge of one of our doors to hold it open. Maybe you could use a small hook and eye. Tom M.