ATF: North Trail - Trailer clearence issue

GaryWT

I have a new NT30QOK and have a problem with the clearence from the ground to the bottom of the trailer. Not sure if something is wrong or if it is just a bad design. I first noticed a hight issue when looking at it and standing at the outside kitchen, my head was just about touching the kitchen door when it was up. I figured once set up and leveled that would be fine. No I cannot get may trailer in or out of the driveway without the spare tire dragging 90% of the time and the rear bumper, jacks and rear grey water discharge dragging on the ground. This is going to wear things out quickly. It seems that the trailer is just too low. I have tried to rig up boards to drive the trailer on but this is difficult at best and this evening, one kicked up and bent one of the rear jacks.

Is there anything that can be done, what is the measured distence from the ground up so I can see if it is where it should be.

If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them, do not want to have to pay $8,000 plus to get a new driveway.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
I have a new NT30QOK and have a problem with the clearence from the ground to the bottom of the trailer. Not sure if something is wrong or if it is just a bad design. I first noticed a hight issue when looking at it and standing at the outside kitchen, my head was just about touching the kitchen door when it was up. I figured once set up and leveled that would be fine. No I cannot get may trailer in or out of the driveway without the spare tire dragging 90% of the time and the rear bumper, jacks and rear grey water discharge dragging on the ground. This is going to wear things out quickly. It seems that the trailer is just too low. I have tried to rig up boards to drive the trailer on but this is difficult at best and this evening, one kicked up and bent one of the rear jacks.

Is there anything that can be done, what is the measured distence from the ground up so I can see if it is where it should be.

If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them, do not want to have to pay $8,000 plus to get a new driveway.
Yeah they are low all right. Wish we would have been paying more attention to that ourselves.
The axle can be flipped on the trailer, and that will make them sit up higher. That is what the service man at our Dealer told us.
Some people put their spare tire in the cargo area of the trailer. We just barely clear getting in and out of our driveway.
We have only been camping once, and did ok in the campground and over small speed bumps, just go slow.

hoefler

Is the trailer level when hooked to your tow vehicle?? If not, drop your hitch and get it level. If it is, try using a drop hitch to lower the front and raise the rear to get it in and out of your drive.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's a loooong bumper pull. My 5ver is just 5 feet longer... and although we could barely get the North Trail into our driveway if the angle was just right, we would not attempt the Elk Ridge! I just cannot see fault with the trailer manufacturer for my driveway grade. Hope you find a solution. We park on the street for loading, and keep it at a storage facility (homeowners assoc. won't allow it to stay anyway.)

TT

Marge

Our driveway grade is not much at all, the North Trails are just very low to the ground, that is one reason they tow so well. Ours is towed completely level, we just figure if we go someplace and there is any question about dragging, I'll get out and look first or as my husband is backing in.

GaryWT

The trailer is level when connected to the truck. I tried pulling in and out without the WDH hooked up but that did not work. I have tried adding some asfault to try to raise the low park but that did not help either. Driving on boards has not worked well but we might try another set up of boards to get in and out and might possibly put the spare in the back of the pick up. We just completed the trailer parking spot, we just hope we don't have to camp in that spot LOL.

pensadawg

Gary,
I pull a 32BHDS which is just over 35' long. I park at my home and the driveway is at a 2-3% grade. I have never had the spare drag. I was originally carrying a honey wagon strapped underneath in the rear and it drug a couple of times in extreme grade changes. I moved it to just behind the axles and fixed that problem. I don't see how you are dragging the spare AND the rear bumper unless there is a problem with the height (axles mounted incorrectly, mounts damaged, etc.) as you stated. If everything is correct then maybe you should try adjusting your hitch height just during your movement on the driveway. Please let us know the outcome. Rick.

Ticaster

If you look at the specs on the Heartland web site, you will notice that the king slide units are taller, the difference is in the frame height. The 30QOK is a kitchen slide and sits lower. The 32BHDS is a king slide and sits higher, that is the reason one of these trailers drags and the other does not. I looked at both and that is the reason I went with a king slide model.
Chris

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Just a note to let you know as an alternative to an axle flip, that the Rieco Titan Correct Track will add 2" of height in addition to aligning the axles. It was an added benefit for us, even though we have a fifth wheel. We had to drive on an angle out the driveway. We also had some issues getting the trailer to tow level after changing out pin boxes.

Marge

Also, holy smokes, check the air pressure in your trailer tires. I kept commenting at the Dealers and to my husband that the tires sure looked on the low side, they were all down about 16 pounds, so that sure helped with the driveway issue.

GaryWT

I have checked the tire pressure as the tires look low but they are spot on to what the sidewall says they should be so I do not want to over inflate. I have ben using 10 foot 2X10's, 6 of them to get in and out of the driveway, so far they work but it is a bit of a pain. I have a $2,400 quote to have some paveing done but am not sure that will solve my problem, will have to think about it. To date, have not had any issues towing or at campgrounds, in fact it tows real nice and backs up very easy.