Dirt Devil Built-In Vacuum System now Available

jbeletti

When Jeff and I were at the factory last (mid-March), we found out that the Dirt Devil built-in vacuum system is now being offered as an option. We saw the first coach that was getting one installed.

I've seen these systems in Mobile Suites trailers before. Wondered if they do a good job or not. Anyone have any experience with these vacuums?

We decided to have one put in our Landmark Mt. Rushmore that is being built this coming week.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Jim, We had one in our last trailer, Titanium, and I loved it but my wife thought it was just ok. She did not like dragging the long hose around. Would prefer dragging just a power cord. She does the inside stuff though and I do the outside. I just may get one for her for our thirtyth anniversary;). .

Attachments

• camper 1.jpg
    camper 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2

Cheryl

When we bought our house, it had a central vacuum system in it. I hated it. It didn't clean very well and the hoses were a pain. When we remodeled, I had my husband take it out. Of course, we did buy the house in 1982, so maybe the units are better now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 2

jbeletti

I used the built-in Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner to clean up some bits of saw dust and metal shavings in the corners of my trailer while my dealers tech was tweaking a few things. So far, the vacuum performs well. We'll see after I try to vacuum with the wide vacuum head attachment on it. Probably should do at least as well as my Shark but hopefully it will be a bit easier to use. My Shark was a bit hard to hold and vacuum at the same time (small canister style).

Jim

jbeletti

Central Vacuum Update

Just an update to a previous post of mine, now that I've used the central vacuum system in the Landmark several times. I have to say that I really like it alot.

I do agree with Tom post above though that dragging a cord around is easier than dragging a this hose around. But for me, storing the hose is easier than storing a vacuum cleaner.

Anyway, the vacuum has great suction and really works great to cleanup the trailer. Our routine has us taking an extra half hour on the last day of any trip to cleanup the trailer really good before we bring the slides in, hitch up and head home. That way, she's ready for travel the next time.

If you are ordering a new Landmark (not sure if it is an option for the BigHorn), consider getting the Dirt Devil Central Vacuum Cleaner option if you'd rather store the hose and accessories instead of storing a vaccum cleaner and accessories.

Jim

Cooper

I do not like the vacum in my Golden Gate it is to weak to pick up much. Dirt Devil is usualy a good vac

jbeletti

Cooper,

Open up the vacuum canister in the storage compartment and see if the bag is on right and that no other parts are inside.

Mine was delivered with the spare vacuum parts in a bag inside the canister and no bag was installed. My dealer should have caught that. I checked the vacuum at my PDI and it seemed to work but I never took it apart.

Mine works great (it's no Dyson) but it works pretty well.

Jim

phranc

Yes the BigHorn has the vac as an option,, Showed several people how it worked , then went to find out what was behind the little red door . I found out .. Now do you use a vacuum to clean the vacuum ? Does that create a hole in the universe ?? Well it all turned out OK, and I found the spare bags too.....

slaytop

Jim,
My Dirt Devil vacuum seemed to be working fine at the PDI and my wife was using it to clean when we brought the trailer home. Then, it stopped running, as if it overheated. When I took off the "little red door" I discovered that none of the bags had been installed. They were sitting inside the unit. The only thing keeping the dirt contained in the housing was the foam protecting the motor. I was surprised that the dealer didn't prepare it for use or warn us that it needed preparation.
It works well and is a very convenient option.
Larry

jpmorgan37

Does the Dirt Devil central vac have a power head (beater bar) or is it just a vacuum. My bride is curious about it's ability to pick up dog hair.
Thanks

timk

jpmorgan37 said:
Does the Dirt Devil central vac have a power head (beater bar) or is it just a vacuum. My bride is curious about it's ability to pick up dog hair.
Thanks

Yes it does. But its not to hard to bog it down. But it works pretty good on our dogs hair.
TimK

Cooper

Central Dirt Devil Vac

I have a 2006 Golden Gate which has the Dirt Devil vac. It is not a real good system. It will not pick up cat hair or a string on the carpet it is very weak. I am looking to replace it with another system. Unless the factory can come up with a solution.

K

Ken Washington

Cooper,
Be ready for a mess when you open the red cover of your vac. Our dealer did not take the time to install the bag for us so ours over heated and cut itself off. You will find extra bags and parts packed inside. Ours worked real good after we got all that stuff out and installed the bag.:D

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
We had the plastic swivel unit that is mounted on the floor (where one would sweep dirt toward to have it picked up) break. I removed the two screws, hoping to see if the piece could be screwed back together and cannot get the plastic housing to move out. Gosh, do I have to remove the steps to get at it?

I will take it to the dealer on our return back to Michigan, but that won't be until April.

Anyone have any ideas?

mike

Mike
cdbMidland,

I just had the same thing happen on our 3655RD and buddy step on it, was not able to get the unit out but was able to supper glue the little plastic peice/pin back to the housing, works fine for now until I can get it in...

Mike

phranc

Mike and Chuck.. We did the same thing or at least some one did ,that is step on the plastic dust pan and it broke . I got the kit from the dirt devil factory and the attempted a repair After taking out the 2 retaining screwsI found I could not pull enough hose out to get to the clamp that holde the suction hose to the dustpan. I then tried the epoxy routine and that failed.
. Next step was to leave in the hand s of the dealer .Who went in through the basement .I noticed that some of the felted basement side panels had been removed and replaced to gain access.. Dealer said it took an hour and half to fix.

Tom of Ypsi

Chuck, On your travels around Fl why not see if Heartland will let you stop at an authorized dealer and have it repaired. While they are repairing your unit you my be able to take in some extra sights that you might not have planned on. Just a thought.

BTW you are not missing much here in Mi. It is suppose to get colder by the end of this week, just in time for Super Bowl. Still no snow with none expected except flurries at best.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks, all, for the help. I guess I'll try the superglue idea first. Don't want to tie up valuable travel time in a repair shop. Can take the unit into General when I get back to Michigan.

Seems like Dirt Devil should figure a better way for this like a slight recession. Floors are to walk on.

jpmorgan37

Thanks for all the input. I will for sure be careful how I step and also check to make sure that the bag is installed and the rest of the stuff is out of the bag compartment. I sure hope that it's worth the money. We've had central vac's in two houses and loved them. Now we will see about having one in our "new home".