ATF: Big Country - Items to service

purchased big country 2950rk 9-09 have traveled from spokane to maine down to florida, back to spokane and then this season to Califonia. Need to service unit for another trip to Florida. What items do you suggest?? I would do the following:
pack wheel bearings
service brakes at needed
replace shocks
clean out hot water heater and change anode
service furnace and air conditioner
Any other suggestions. Thanks

GOTTOYS

Check/replace bushings in springs and suspension. If it still has the nylon bushings they are most likely shot. i would replace the bushings and bolts with a wet bolt kit that you can grease...Don

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As GOTTOYS mentioned, replacing the shackle bolts with the wet bolt kit is a great idea. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the shock absorbers. If you've used the fresh water tank regularly that's good, If you've had water sitting in it, unused, I would flush and clean it.
Change the batteries in the smoke alarms.
Clean & lube the threaded shaft on the rear landing gear.
Lube the folding step hinge points.
Lube the rooftop antenna.
Clean the roof and do a thorough inspection of all the caulked seams and re-caulk as needed.

caissiel

I have travelled 10K with mine and did not do any of that listed maintenance yet.
But other things have needed service as I found the problems.

The bearings were over greased and caused brake problems, (first trip)
Lost the bedroom front closet rod and everyting was falling,
The extension at the cupboard broke the hinges, (last trip)
The door lock had to be repaired so it locked properly, (last trip)
The sliding door fell of the rear stop and had to create a better stop then the wimpy crew stop in the middle of the wall, (first trip)
Installed individual Hydraulic slide valves so we can open individual slide when parked at just overnight locations, (before first trip)
Relocated the shocks so they are worth something, (first trip)
Repaired the outside shower hose connection that broke off and flooded the basement storage,
Thighten the fittings at the water heater area that were seeping water, (first trip)
Thighten all the cupboard hinge screws, and installed longer screws on the ones that striped the wood,
never over tight them so they will strip the threads though. (first trip)
Installed a TPMS system for the trailer tires, piece of mind for tire worries.
The sink came off the counter so had to recalk and added more fasteners. Our mistake, left things in the sink while traveling.
The toilet seal was replaced so it could hold water.
Had to repair the front landing gear to prevent jamming and wear.
Rotated and balanced the tires at 5K miles.
Repaired the slide bottoms, so the plywood will not delaminate on the edges. (Not travel related)
Replace rubbers on the stove grill, old ones vibrated off and were cut off.

Signiture explains the rest.
They are just minor things that agravate but will cause problems because of the road condition and travel vibrations, specialy the ones we need to travel on.
When we park overnight we need to move the kitchen slide to eat and the main slide to get to the rear, we usualy just open them by 6 inches and everything is fine, they are in again when we sleep.